Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:00 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,681,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
First of all, let me say I offer my sympathy and prayers.
Most of us who have ever owned pets have been through this at one time or another.
Several times over the years I have felt like you are feeling now.
I remember saying at times that I would never get attached to a pet again because it hurts too much to lose them.
But I always seemed to end up with another one knowing that I would probably outlive them in the natural order of things.
I think it has made me a better person and gave me many happy times through the years because I found another friend to care for.
If you have any pictures of him, put one of your favorites in a frame and when you look at it, remember how lucky you were to have had him for awhile and how lucky he was to have you.
Think about what his life could have been like without you.
Think about how good his life was because you and him had some time together.
I still have a picture of the little dog I grew up with as a kid. He has been gone for more then 40 years. When I look at his picture I don't get sad. I just remember what good buddys we were and how lucky I was to have had him for awhile and I just think of the good times.
I have several other pictures of other furry friends. Each one is special in its own way.
I am an older guy and I have a Lab mix that I would die for if need be. She is one of the most loving dogs I have ever had. I'm glad I didn't give into "not getting attached to another pet again", because I would have deprived myself of the loyalty and unconditional affection that she has for me and the responsibility and friendship I owe and show to her.
Somewhere there is a puppy who needs someone like you and who you may need.
Yes, it hurts to lose them. It can hurt even more to not give yourself an opportunity to enjoy that feeling that a good pet owner and another adoring pet can give to each other.
It's life. It's a fact of life. They don't live as long as we do. But we can do what we can for other pets that will make our lives more pleasant just because we know that nothing is more loyal than a good dog and you deserve and will receive unconditional love from other pets.
I'm not saying to forget your buddy and move on.
I'm just saying to remember him fondly and give yourself a chance to make another best friend.
It would make him proud knowing that you still have a lot of love to give.
He wouldn't want it any other way.
That is why he loved you so much.
Sorry for the long post. I just know how it is when you lose an adored pet. I also know there are chances of going through this again in the future. But I will keep looking for best friends that need good care and who will give me the friendship that only a pet can give.
I wish you well and hope you can give the same love you gave your pal to some other deserving pet. I'm sure it will be returned.
There is a little four legged friend out there waiting for someone like you who needs your love.
You don't have to start looking tomorrow or even next week.
Give yourself some time to grieve. But don't give up on having another best friend.
Again, sorry about the long post. I kinda get carried away about losing pets. Maybe it's because I know how it feels.
I think your post was lovely and stated so eloquently. I agree with you. Thank you from all of us who have ever lost our beloved pets!

Old 07-28-2008, 06:37 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,740,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Thank you for your lovely post. I am going to take a bit to grieve and then will consider another dog. I will go to the human society along with the puppy store. I figure neither place, well, the dogs in neither place wants to be there. I am partial to small fluffy dogs so the pet store might be a better option for me, personally. I do feel sorry for the puppies in those stores. No puppy or dog wants to be alone. I think after a bit of greiving I will understand this. Thanks.
Maltese, Phoenix, AZ: Adoptable Pets: Petfinder

You may want to check Petfinder, also.

You know our hearts go out to you.

Good luck and God Bless.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:38 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,455,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Maltese, Phoenix, AZ: Adoptable Pets: Petfinder

You may want to check Petfinder, also.

You know our hearts go out to you.

Good luck and God Bless.
Thank you. I did go on this site and my heart went out to some doggies, but I have a service tomorrow to go to and I get to see Teddy one last time. There is no other Teddy, I am afraid. He was like my child, but I do appreciate your kindness in sharing. At some point I may be in a position to consider your link.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:11 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,906,455 times
I am sorry for your loss.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,520,263 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. They leave us much too soon.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:53 PM

543 posts, read 2,364,989 times
My deepest sympathy for the loss of your Teddy. I lost my Theodore and my Scarlet a month apart from each other.

Hugs

Old 01-01-2011, 04:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,338 times
My girl is now 14 years old and I have had her since she was 6 weeks. She has slept on my pillow every day since I was 10. I know how you feel, it is 3 in the morning and I dont want to go to sleep because I know this is my last night with her. I am watching her as she is fighting for air to breathe and while my heart is slowly breaking I love her so very much. I have been so blessed to be able to tell her that I love her and that she will be missed. I am reading to her and helping her to go to sleep. I will be laying with her the rest of the night because in the morning I am putting her down. This is the third dog in our family this year that has passed away, they were all keeping each other alive i guess. I hope yours pulled through and even if he didn't I'm sure he knew that he was loved beyond what words could describe.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:32 AM

455 posts, read 1,239,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowcoachmd View Post
My girl is now 14 years old and I have had her since she was 6 weeks. She has slept on my pillow every day since I was 10. I know how you feel, it is 3 in the morning and I dont want to go to sleep because I know this is my last night with her. I am watching her as she is fighting for air to breathe and while my heart is slowly breaking I love her so very much. I have been so blessed to be able to tell her that I love her and that she will be missed. I am reading to her and helping her to go to sleep. I will be laying with her the rest of the night because in the morning I am putting her down. This is the third dog in our family this year that has passed away, they were all keeping each other alive i guess. I hope yours pulled through and even if he didn't I'm sure he knew that he was loved beyond what words could describe.

Aww bless you, this is an old thread and unfortunately the original poster lost her best friend.

We can all relate to this time in a dogs life, their lives simply aren't long enough and it hurts us so much. Unfortunately there is nothing I can say to ease your pain. Just remember your dog has had a good life with you and its time she ran free to the bridge to be with her buddies.

Start a new thread with load of photos of her and think of of the fun and mischievous things she has done, you may not feel like smiling but you will in time trust me.

Sending hugs to you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs