Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:56 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid to go to sleep for fear of finding him dead in the morning. The whole thing came on rather quickly. I brought him to a Vet yesterday who said he either had autoimmune disease or cancer. I brought him to another Vet today who said his condition was grave. I had planned euthanasia for 11:30 tomorrow morning at home but then decided to give things one last shot and brought him to the best facility in the state.

It's too late. He has cancer and may die tonight. He is still eating and wagging his tail but his blood platelets have dropped in half overnight. There is no whole blood available for transfusions, so there is no way of restoring platelet levels. His red blood cells are dropping too. Thing is, he is still wagging his tail and eating. The Vet gave me some pain meds for him which buys me a bit more time in terms of getting a grip to arrange someone to come to my home to euthanize him. At any rate, I am afraid to go to sleep, for fear I will wake up and find him gone. I just can't lose him, yet I have no choice. I love this little dog more than life itself. He is truly the light of my life and like a child to me.

Any support would be welcome. Thanks.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:07 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I am so sorry you have this happening in your home. My thoughts and prayers go your way. May your dog have an easy departure. They are just little doggies, but we still love them.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:44 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am so sorry you have this happening in your home. My thoughts and prayers go your way. May your dog have an easy departure. They are just little doggies, but we still love them.
I don't want him to depart at all. That's the problem. But thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I just want him to stay with me. I am not ready to let go of him. He is like my child. Don't know if you can identify, but perhaps. I am afraid to go to sleep for fear of the morning. I guess I am just in denial. He means EVERYTHING to me and I love him with all my heart. Thanks again.

His blood platelet levels went from 93,000 yesterday down to 43,000 today. There is no whole blood available for transfusion where I live, which would be the only way to replenish platelet levels, so this is his death sentence.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:50 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
I am so sorry, movin' on. This is really difficult, sigh. We had to euthanize our elderly collie today and I know something of what you're feeling. It must be such a shock for you, though, because this happened so quickly!

Look at your dog's gums -- are they really pale or still quite pink? The fact that he's eating is a good sign, I'd think! I hope he holds on until morning. Again, I'm really sorry you're going through this!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:39 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,497 times
I am so sorry! They break your heart as puppies and then as wise old dogs.
Many prayers for your heart and many for your dogs passing to be a comfortable one. He's wagging his tail for love of you ...just so you know!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:44 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,388 times
I so feel your pain. Are you sure they can't do anything else? My cat had low blood platelets like yours (from toxic posion) and they gave her prednisone.. took a week but she did get better. (the platelet count went down before it went up) Hard to watch I know, but they were giving up on her telling me the outlook was grave. She is fine now, however she did not have cancer either. I am so sorry for you.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:10 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times
I sympathize with you so much. I lost my beloved Nellie in April and miss her oh so much. Just think about all the wonderful times you had together, and that will give you some solace. Also remember that someday you will see your friend again in heaven.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:20 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,843,937 times
I am really sorry. We all with you and feel your pain.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:25 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
I am sorry to hear about your baby. Pets are very special members of the family. The most important thing is to make him comfortable and have him realize that you love him. Letting him pass with dignity is the best thing for him. My heart goes out to you.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:53 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
I am so sorry. I know this is a very difficult time for you because I've been there. It's one of the hardest things I've ever gone through and I still miss my little Kiki and it's been two years. All you can do is love your dog and be there for support. You've done everything you can do and the love you feel for your dog will endure even after you have lost him. He was and is a vital part of your life, your doggie child, he will live on in your memory forever. Most people never experience such love - you have been blessed. My thoughts and prayers are with you. You will get through this, but it's a difficult road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs