Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:15 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,367,710 times

Advertisements

I live about 14 miles east of UGA, you can't hardly get a quality bulldog in this state for less than 3000.

My Tracking trainer has one but his dog is a fawn color...if you want to see something funny watch a bulldog track with their brac...nose...his dog is named Hog and I love to watch him track.

But...I would never own one in the south...it's just too hot for these dogs unless you are prepaired for AC every thing...UGA has an airconditioned dog house on the field...LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 01:30 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,121,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
My Tracking trainer has one but his dog is a fawn color...if you want to see something funny watch a bulldog track with their brac...nose...his dog is named Hog and I love to watch him track.

But...I would never own one in the south...it's just too hot for these dogs unless you are prepaired for AC every thing...UGA has an airconditioned dog house on the field...LOL.
LOL I have two Boston Bulldogs and a French Bulldog and live in the southwest desert of far west TX. I had to laugh at your comment about watching a bulldog track - my bulldogs could be trackers - they have the nose of a bloodhound and can smell anything....

About the climate and brachycephalic dogs - you are right about that. Although we don't have the humidity of the southeast, we do have extreme temperatures. Just to have some outdoor time, we have a portable evap cooler and fans on our patio and the kiddie wading pool is always set up with fresh, cool water. Walks are done super early at 6am or late after sundown. Worth it - you bet - I love my bulldogs. Fact is, I love all Bulldogs.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:52 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,663,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Expensive to maintain as well!

I'll take a mutt any old day. Affordable and hardy!
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
exactly and when chihuahuas were real popular cause of paris hilton . I had people stopping me in the park asking me if my boy was neutered ? and when I answered them of course he is . they answered me Oh that is a shame ". well that just set me off and i went on a roll and told them to go visit a dog shelter and see how it is not a shame . I was not going to contribute to the over population of a breed . I am a spay and neuter advocate and will always be . and yes bybs have done everyone a disservice by doing their little money making schemes .
Same here, I got so many replies when I said my little guy was neutered of course, as to how they make alot of money on their Chi's puppies! Most I run into do not spay or neuter their Chi's. Horrible, irresponsible people.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:30 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,577 times
I guy I know just paid $3600 for an 8 week old bulldog! I would never pay that kind of money for a dog! He said they gave him a crate, toys and several bags of food too, whatever.

I had another friend research them over the summer and she said the going rate was $2000 in Ohio.

I'm very happy with my $30 pound puppy! A pure bred flashy fawn female boxer. And she was already spayed.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:13 PM

220 posts, read 991,587 times
Since there are a lot of bulldog owners in this post, how is their shedding? I decided against a pug, due their heavy shedding.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:35 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,121,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasycheeseburgers View Post
Since there are a lot of bulldog owners in this post, how is their shedding? I decided against a pug, due their heavy shedding.
My Bostons hardly shed and my Frenchie only a little more. It's minimal compared to my Lab. I know Pugs are notorious shedders - have you tried using a Fruminator rake on him/her? They help tons if you're consistent with using it.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,292,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasycheeseburgers View Post
Porkchop sheds ALL THE TIME. We are both really shocked at how much Bulldogs shed! Not something we were expecting. We use the furminator all the time, and that keeps it under control, but it's definitely not a low shedding breed. I mentioned that to our vet, who predominately deals with Bulldogs and owns 2 himself, and he said that it's the number one thing he hears from his clients. If you're looking for a low shedding dog, look for a different breed!

Old 05-07-2009, 01:10 PM

220 posts, read 745,571 times
I love my bullies, have 2. Great temperment, unfortunately my older son thought it was fun to play linebacker with my male, so anytime Buddha B dozer sees a man, he thinks it's appropriate to go in for the tackle. I am just now addressing some health issues with tail socket, like a french knot on the male, no doubt looking at amputation as well. Too many infections. A few ear infections, but all in all not bad. Food allergy just came to light as well with skin problems. They are both 5 yrs old. Karma Kamakazee is my female, spazzy girl. No puppies here, but I would get another in a heart beat. Pet insurance a plus. I bought mine from Ga. Ridgetop bulldogs, they had more sky miles than Mom at the time. LOL We take them to FL with us for the winter, the male hates the heat, female loves her lounge chair to sun. We keep their activity level on the low side during summer months or in heat. They do not require alot of exercise, pretty low maintenance IMO except for wiping wrinkles with baby wipes and of course the bunny tail sockets. Good Luck

My Male sheds alot in summer, forgot that part, but I've seen worse in other breeds.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:55 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,845 times
Rita is our second bully, she is 5. Rugby our male lived to be 12. He didn't have any health issues. He was however allergic to peanutbutter, we were giving him his pills with the pb and took us awhile but found out it was the pb causing the problem.

Rita however has had so many health issues. Surgery on her eye, knees, and her latest is bladder stones. It just never seems to stop.

As far as being in the heat, we had them both when we were in eastern NC, which is very hot and humid. You need to keep an eye on them when in the heat, they can get over heated very quickly. There have been cases of bullys dieing from heat stroke.

Bulldogs are a wonderful breed as far as temperament and personality, they are not supposed to be aggressive, especially with people. They can be one of the most stubborn dogs I have ever been around, but the good thing is is that they love food and treats. They are very smart dogs. They want to be in charge and you have to have a firm hand with some. Or they will take over. Like Rita!

They are, IMO, one of the most unhealthiest breeds around. Which is a shame because they really are great dogs and don't deserve all the problems they have. Make sure you have the funds to take care of a bully, because the initial fee is nothing compared to what you can end up paying if your dog has health issues. We got lucky with Rugby, and when I look back, he pretty much came from a back yard breeder, so you just never know.

Like someone said, they are very popular right now, and they already have health issues and now there are people breeding them for the $ which means evern more issues.

Oh, as far as shedding, Rita doesn't so much, but Rugby was a big shedder.

Good luck in your search.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:06 PM

220 posts, read 745,571 times
Great advice, Dogpaw. Very definitely heat stroke is a major concern leading to seizures. These bullys don't know when to give up. They are at times very head strong, someone has to be the Alpha Dog cause they can and will walk all over you. Gotta love em! My neice wanted to give us a ****e zu (spelling?), no way could I deal with the grooming, cuts and daily brushings. So to each his own I suppose. Be prepared do your homework. This coming from a Mom who rescued 5 parrots, so LOL

Last edited by NJ~LuLu; 05-07-2009 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: whoops on the zu dog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs