Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:57 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,319,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I have to admit, my fiance's Shih Tzu loves to wear clothes. I would never have believed if I hadn't seen it for myself, but there's really no other explanation. Her whole attitude changes as soon as you put something on her, it's the darndest thing.
We used to have a Sheltie who was fertile for many years. (No, we didn't breed her, so please nobody jump on my case about that.) When she went into heat, I sacrificed a few pairs of my underwear to the cause -- would cut a hole in the backside for her tail and then just safety-pin the fabric together to make it a snug fit for her.

It was the most amazing thing, but she was a completely different dog when she had her panties on. She was like Marilyn Monroe or Mae West in dog form. She'd prance by you, that head up, tail up, and just as she passed you, she'd stop, look back over her shoulder at you, and SWISH her tail. Seriously...she knew. We all joked about it because it was ONLY this way when she was wearing her panties.

So yeah...maybe some dogs DO really dig the clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 03:57 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,558,235 times
I was soo not about dressing my dogs - ever. But Lucy shivers all the time and I got her the CUTEST sweater with a little skirt on it; and I swear she loves it! In the winter, though. I think I posted some pictures when we had all the snow.

I plan on looking for a little bikini for her . . . . NOT!

Ringo hates any clothes of any kind - no matter how cold it is. So, he never wears any. I used to dress him up for Halloween but he looked so depressed in that little pumpkin hat . . . .

Old 05-03-2010, 04:04 PM

501 posts, read 1,297,017 times
Well, no bikinis here either. I can barely imagine my hunting breeds dressed just to be fashionable. I think they'd gang up on me and put me out of their misery, lol.

I never did anything clothing wise until we moved to a place where the snow gets deep and until my dogs got old. I bought a fido fleece, and a ruffwear overcoat for days when it was 8 degrees, a foot of snow on the ground, and the wind was strong. The old dogs liked it from day one, to my surprise. They are shorthaired breeds (GSP and now EP mix).

Then I got an older rescue dog, who came with almost no toe nails (so short that you couldn't even call them nubbins). In those weather conditions, she'd last about 5 minutes outside before she started hopping, because it was painful to be in that kind of cold and snow with damaged nails. So from necessity I got her some ruff wear boots (and threw on a fleece + overcoat) and she could go for long walks in that kind of weather. She is the only one with boots - the ancient shorthair still hasn't developed any need for them, but they work very well for her.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:34 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,046,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I was soo not about dressing my dogs - ever. But Lucy shivers all the time and I got her the CUTEST sweater with a little skirt on it; and I swear she loves it! In the winter, though. I think I posted some pictures when we had all the snow.

I plan on looking for a little bikini for her . . . . NOT!

Ringo hates any clothes of any kind - no matter how cold it is. So, he never wears any. I used to dress him up for Halloween but he looked so depressed in that little pumpkin hat . . . .

hhhhhmmmmm .... wonder if this is a boy-dog thing..... since that is EXACTLY how dave behaved with his t-shirt..... he even HATES having his harness put on.....

Old 05-03-2010, 04:43 PM

718 posts, read 2,080,716 times
Costumes- yikes? Santa hats, reindeer antlers...double yikes! But, just got first small dog and live where it gets waaayyy below zero in winter. He loves to walk and I broke down and bought him a coat. He looks like a dork, but he does stay warm and the ice doesn't form on his coat...so I caved, what can I say?

Old 05-04-2010, 08:24 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,052,611 times
My last dog was a solid white German Shepherd who weighed almost 100 pounds. He looked amazing in his red hoodie sweatshirt. His chrome silver training collar added bling. We'd be stopped at stoplights and people in the car next to us would smile and wave. He was absolutely stunning.

I've now got a little Min Pin. Without coats and sweaters in winter, she'd freeze.

There are so many amazing dog clothes out there these days. Some of them are sewn with incredible detail. I went a little nuts buying "outfits" for her when I first got her, i.e. a couple of sweaters and coats with matching collars. Unfortunately, she was just a puppy and she outgrew them. Right now, she's got an orange down jacket with a fur trimmed hood. It really looks adorable on her. Too bad I don't have a picture to post!

No doggie weddings or doggie sundresses for me but dog clothes are just plain fun....

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-04-2010 at 08:44 AM..

Old 05-04-2010, 08:32 AM

28,958 posts, read 30,307,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I don't even like the bow they put on my dog at the groomer's.
I'm with ya...I think people who dress they're dogs are trying to make humans out of them when they are not....I've watched the dog trainers on TV and they agree...a dog is a dog....however, I do agree with rain gear...especially in the cold, windy winter...but I won't put booties on my dog...that is where I draw the line...but he does wear a rain slicker for bad weather when we go out for our walks...

How are you doing Aylalou?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:12 AM

556 posts, read 2,088,483 times
I'm laughing as I read everyones thoughts on dogs in clothing....I would agree - I don't think dogs should wear clothes as a part of their day to day lives.......BUT.......when you have the pleasure of sharing your life with what we call a "Parade Dog" - you have to give him his 15 minutes of fun, a couple times a year!!! AND - he brings SMILES - big SMILES to all who see him...and he does NOT 'dress' any other time of year

So - here's Chance....and he's the only dog I've ever owned who goes wonky HAPPY when he sees me drag out the sewing machine to get started on his annual Fiesta Costume!!! Fellow dog friends have agreed - he actually looks like he's having fun too!
Attached Thumbnails
Just my Opinion but.... How do you feel about this?-chance-2010-3.jpg   Just my Opinion but.... How do you feel about this?-chance-2007-05-04-fiestapooch.jpg   Just my Opinion but.... How do you feel about this?-delta-pooch_parad_2009__0003.jpg  

Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,277,733 times
Dogs in outfits are so funny and cute..I can't help but love it. I never got anything $$$ fancy for a dog I had. But the lab we had my little bro and I would put old shirts on him because he liked it and it made us laugh. If you let the dog wear the shirt for awhile..he would not let you take it off. If you did take it off he would keep going over to it. If you put it on he would stand in front of you and bark until you gave it back! LOL! He did that with his choke chain too. If you put that on he would bark and crawl on you pulling at it trying to get it back. It was HIS!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,052,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post
I'm laughing as I read everyones thoughts on dogs in clothing....I would agree - I don't think dogs should wear clothes as a part of their day to day lives.......BUT.......when you have the pleasure of sharing your life with what we call a "Parade Dog" - you have to give him his 15 minutes of fun, a couple times a year!!! AND - he brings SMILES - big SMILES to all who see him...and he does NOT 'dress' any other time of year

So - here's Chance....and he's the only dog I've ever owned who goes wonky HAPPY when he sees me drag out the sewing machine to get started on his annual Fiesta Costume!!! Fellow dog friends have agreed - he actually looks like he's having fun too!
OMG. Chance's Mexican Fiesta outfit is adorable!

Why does anyone care that others love their dogs enough to dress them up? There are so many more important things in life to worry about.

If buying "clothes" for your dog makes you happy,... go for it!

Last edited by World Citizen; 05-04-2010 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs