Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 09:47 AM

69 posts, read 198,154 times

Advertisements

Sounds like Duluth is getting some well needed renovations. And just so everyone knows, Sonic may be a great fast food joint, but it pales in comparison to the old A and Dubs in west end. As ugly as it is, it is still a Duluth one of a kind joint. To bad old Porky passed on, because Porky's on island lake was and forever will be my favorite drive in Burger shack. It's that sort of stuff I remember about Summers in Duluth. Driving 20 miles out of the way for a mean burger...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 09:55 AM

69 posts, read 198,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtrips View Post
I can't even imagine how cool that would be to get a Barnes and Noble downtown! I've always thought this particular area could support it, and it would definitely be a catalyst for others in that area.

Yeah, the Justin Paul Salon is phenomenal - they should be very proud of that space. I guess what the article talked about was that the downtown merchants should 'think' in terms of being a lifestyle center, rather than transforming it into one. Thinking in terms of what niches they can create would probably really help them to formulate a plan for that area.

I've always thought that Downtown Duluth should be more for niche shopping, as opposed to 'mall' shopping. Typically, the people who like downtowns like niche type stores and more eclectic food and retail. Finding out what would spark an interest with people who would use it may prove very useful. A Barnes and Noble, along with maybe a Banana Republic, or similar (and a niche higher end chain restaurant) would definitely help to jump start that very quickly. Can you even imagine a Trader Joe's somewhere downtown? Or a marketplace (such as the one going into the Heritage Park development)? All cool type places that would be perfect for downtowns. I just keep thinking of downtown Boulder, CO, where they have fun restaurants such as Mongolian, etc.

Very interesting about the McCafe's - providing a bit higher end niche has definitely proven to work for them!
Downtown should always stay Niche shopping. There are Mall people and there are city people. City people love the sounds and traffic of downtown. They even love a little grime. And most of all, they like shopping at unique stores. And eating unique food. Mall people like air conditioning and MTV and whatever society tells them is cool. By keeping downtown unique, both areas will thrive and will compete with each other at a lesser level. I'm so glad downtown is finding itself again. I was impressed when I visited last summer... because when I was a little kid, Downtown was often times scary, and a place most people would stay away from.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,451,200 times
I could see that whole Tech Village area being home to stores like Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Cache, J Crew, Jos A Banks, etc. What a great area it would be if that happened!!

Old 12-16-2008, 03:11 PM

The Maple Grove retail center has filled its last space with a tenant! Eyemart Express will be opening soon in the bottom level of the center next to Jenny Craig. It is a low priced vision store that sells every thing that a normal eyewear store sells.... but cheaper and quicker. Glasses can be made within an hour at this store. They are a chain of 79 stores in the Midwest... funny thing is is that we are the first Minnesota location. Looks like its going to be a nice store. Heres their website if you want it Eyemart Express (http://www.eyemartexpress.com/flash/index.php - broken link) Also I drove by and saw that the inside of the old Michael's space is being totally gutted. What does this mean?! Are the owners trying to make it more appealing or did they find a tenant? Anyone know? Any other news?

Old 12-17-2008, 09:41 AM

394 posts, read 1,518,652 times
Duluth's downtown is a lot bigger and more bustling than i had ever thought. I would like to see more shopping and retail as well as restaurants like Pizza Luce.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:20 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,987 times
Side track- Does anyone know why the Duluth Trading Co. is headquarted in a town in Wisconsin?

Back on topic-A book store like Elliot Bay Books in Seattle (great Chile) or Powells in Portland would be great. I would prefer an independent book store to another Barnes.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:21 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,987 times
BTW, check this out for Clyde Park: Clyde Park Duluth I hope they get a good anchor tenant.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:57 PM

Maybe the owners liked Duluth so they decided to use Duluth as their name for their company... or maybe they use to live here.

Clyde Park really needs to update its website to be more professional. I really hope this site lives up to what has been proposed... if it did I would be there all the time. It seems so unique... nothing that Duluth or the area already has.

Anyone know whats going in Michael's old space?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:53 PM

Does anyone know the restaurant that I guess has been signed on for the Residence Inn development?

Old 12-25-2008, 11:14 AM

Just heard that Quiznos in Hermantown closed. I really dont know why it did. Anyone know? I am thinking it could be due to the loss of Menards for this long time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth