Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:58 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times

Advertisements

because those who criticize this generation forget who raised it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 12:29 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Why would we look down on Gen-Yers when we raised them? Just a few years ago they were considered to be on track to becoming the equivalent to the founding fathers - a thirteenth generation that would surpass even the "greatest generation" of our parents. Disdain for the Gen-Xers I can understand.
Its understandable that Boomer's hate Gen-x because one does not like something that makes one look comparably awful.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 09-11-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 09-11-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
But we won't live forever and our wealth, whatever's left of it, will be passed down to succeeding generations, including the vaunted Millenials. During that time we were supposedly stealing all of it, we were also spending like crazy, creating a lot economic stimulus that benefited people of all ages. I doubt we'll have to adjust to a lower standard of living as we're pretty much all headed off into retirement now. That's why God gave us the Gen-Xers. Plus Mitt and Paul say they won't touch many in our generation's Medicare.
Actually no since your asset wealth is nothing but a lightening rod to the FIRE sector. You have impoverished the bulk of your children. They will inherent debt saturated assets. You are nothing but temporary tax collectors. Gen -X is nothing but an observation point since our assets offset much of our wage stagnation. Its a their own kids that doped up boomers are exploiting.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I don't think we fight all that much. I'm very fond of Gen Yers. They have a sense of style we never had. They're a lot more adult, mature, and worldly than we were at their age. The world will be in very good hands with them.

Really? Then why are you clearly jack hammering them into a miserable future?

Old Americans are 47 times richer than young - Nov. 7, 2011

Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Its a their own kids that doped up boomers are exploiting.
Bwah!

Tell us how you a really feel!

Dang, I haven't had some good dope for more than 30 years ... But your post is almost as good!

And lest I be remiss, thank you for this opportunity to use my favorite emoticon.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Bwah!

Tell us how you a really feel!

Dang, I haven't had some good dope for more than 30 years ... But your post is almost as good!

And lest I be remiss, thank you for this opportunity to use my favorite emoticon.
You don't seem to realize just how much cocaine powder residue is all over those cash hoards.

New study finds that 90% of U.S. currency has cocaine residue on it - New York Daily News

Boomer flower poetry is no match for Gen-x rhetorical wit, please...

Old 09-11-2012, 03:20 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
You know there may be a reason why Boomer net worth is 20 or 30 times that of Gen Y: Boomers have been working 30 or 40 years longer than today's 20 somethings.

The Gen Y whine is the same as that of previous generations: you're stealing from us. Just like the Greatest Generation "stole" from the 1944-1960 generation. And the WW II generation added Medicare.

What "debt-soaked" assests, by the way? Houses will be paid off, if they're not already.

If you want to blame anyone for the housing bubble blame Gen X, they're the ones who wanted to start out at 25 where their parents were at 50. Many of us Boomers warned them but those warnings fell on deaf ears.

If we had suggested to either Gen X or Gen Y that maybe college wasn't for them we would have been pilloried, so we paid those tuition bills. And God help the parent who didn't want their kid to go to private school (none of mine did, by the way, Mrs. NBP and I raised them with a healthy sense of "what is".). Just a note, many school systems today forbid teachers from even mentioning trades instead of college to their students.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:44 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The Gen Y whine is the same as that of previous generations: you're stealing from us. Just like the Greatest Generation "stole" from the 1944-1960 generation.
Umm...where did you get this idea? The boomers complained about traditional culture, did drugs, burned bras, etc....but they didn't complain much about their parents stealing from their future....it had no foundation in reality.

Quote:
If you want to blame anyone for the housing bubble blame Gen X, they're the ones who wanted to start out at 25 where their parents were at 50.
Far more real estate transactions occurred between boomers than Gen X during the housing bubble, but this is the wrong place to look anyways. The housing bubble would have never occurred if it wasn't for loose fed policy, governmental support for mortgages, deregulation, etc.....the vast majority of the policies that led to the housing bubble were crafted by boomer supported politicians.

Quote:
If we had suggested to either Gen X or Gen Y that maybe college wasn't for them we would have been pilloried, so we paid those tuition bills.
Pilloried? By who exactly? What you're describing is a condition created by boomers... Regardless, generally speaking, boomers did not pay those tuition bills. Boomers did not properly fund higher education, and even some of the "funding" they did provide was from deficit spending so will ultimately be paid by younger generations. Furthermore, boomers were fairly allergic to savings, so they often didn't have the funds to provide direct support either.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:07 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Umm...where did you get this idea? The boomers complained about traditional culture, did drugs, burned bras, etc....but they didn't complain much about their parents stealing from their future....it had no foundation in reality.

Far more real estate transactions occurred between boomers than Gen X during the housing bubble, but this is the wrong place to look anyways. The housing bubble would have never occurred if it wasn't for loose fed policy, governmental support for mortgages, deregulation, etc.....the vast majority of the policies that led to the housing bubble were crafted by boomer supported politicians.

Pilloried? By who exactly? What you're describing is a condition created by boomers... Regardless, generally speaking, boomers did not pay those tuition bills. Boomers did not properly fund higher education, and even some of the "funding" they did provide was from deficit spending so will ultimately be paid by younger generations. Furthermore, boomers were fairly allergic to savings, so they often didn't have the funds to provide direct support either.

If you think your first point then you need to go back and do some research on the 70's and 80's when FICA taxes were raised and raised again to fund Social security for the WW II generation, along with the increase in Medicare deductions.

You need to look again at the housing stats for the boom.

Also, in your research discover exactly how many times the federal budget has not been in a deficit mode since 1790. The answer may surprise you.

Here's my view on this whole thing: every single time there's a recession the generational knives come out, right now is just the latest iteration. Every generation has had to face hard times and difficult choices. One problem with this recession is the Boomers grew up with ones happening every few years. Gen X and Gen Y came into adulthood without ever having to have lived through one so this one has been a massive ***** slap to the head. And you know what? It will end, you guys will find jobs, get married, buy houses and cars and have ungrateful children of your own.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
You know there may be a reason why Boomer net worth is 20 or 30 times that of Gen Y: Boomers have been working 30 or 40 years longer than today's 20 somethings.

The Gen Y whine is the same as that of previous generations: you're stealing from us. Just like the Greatest Generation "stole" from the 1944-1960 generation. And the WW II generation added Medicare.

What "debt-soaked" assests, by the way? Houses will be paid off, if they're not already.

If you want to blame anyone for the housing bubble blame Gen X, they're the ones who wanted to start out at 25 where their parents were at 50. Many of us Boomers warned them but those warnings fell on deaf ears.

If we had suggested to either Gen X or Gen Y that maybe college wasn't for them we would have been pilloried, so we paid those tuition bills. And God help the parent who didn't want their kid to go to private school (none of mine did, by the way, Mrs. NBP and I raised them with a healthy sense of "what is".). Just a note, many school systems today forbid teachers from even mentioning trades instead of college to their students.
Then you are ignoring the data I posted. There is clearly a wealth shift.

That comes from asset inflation which is to say income by doing nothing. The housing bubble was essentially national gentrification which is another way of saying the older generation is reminiscent of the landed gentry that would live by charging rent instead of creating goods and services. Gen-y is becoming the third estate.

To "save housing" they are also bloating stock market asset prices which again improve the buying power of those with those sorts of assets at the expense of income through labor.

Boomers did not pay any Gen-x tuitions so I have no idea what you are even talking about.

We are simply shifting wealth to those with assets from labor to feed interest payments to the FIRE sector.

This debt saturation BTW:

Americans' home equity near a record low - Business - US business - Real estate | NBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics