Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Your responses do not further your cause.
And what have you deduced my cause to be? EXACTLY?

Quote:
You omit an awful lot of what I said...
The circle jerk?
I ignore 99% of the whine. Yes; that is quite true.

If any aspect of this is "my cause"... then it is to eliminate the whine. Yes.
But mostly "my cause" and stated clearly about twenty times...
is to see the abundant energy and touches of intellect focused on solution instead.

What else do you have?
Aside from such (admittedly, and perhaps too eloquent) whine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The answer for health care reform is in FOOD reform.
This fellow is at least offering a part of a solution to a part of a problem.
And markg again mentioned the merits and power in the vote
despite the ill-informed and paranoid reception that got the first time.

It's your lives that are on the line... not mine or even my own two Y's (they'll be just fine).

What do ANY of you have in the way of a strategy or even tactics to fix (what you see as) the problem?
Anyone?

Last edited by MrRational; 06-01-2011 at 05:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 05:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I ignore 99% of the whine? Yes; that is quite true.
If any aspect of this is "my cause"... then it is to eliminate the whine. Yes.
So no rebuttal, your claim is simply that the issues I point out constitute "whining".

To prove this, you point out that at one point in the conversation, I presented both sides of the argument of the living wage.

I'm wowed by your powers of persuasion.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
...your claim is simply that the issues I point out constitute "whining".
No. REPEATING THEM is the whining.

An apparently deliberate and conscious preference for anything other than the actually constructive.
Especially in the absence of that eloquence and intellect being focused on anything other than that "pointing out".

Come on... you're smarter than your assertion and avoidance implies.
Try harder.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:05 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Whining is bad......but apparently whining about whining for pages is alright.

Its amusing that whenever this topic is discussed some boomer always yaps about how everyone is whining, as if one is suppose to just act and never discuss...

Before you can address a problem, doesn't one have to have a good understanding of the nature of the problem?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
If you really believe voting doesn't matter and refuse to do it, you deserve to have the politicans ignore you. Those who don't vote will one day wake up and realize what they lost through sheer stupidity.
No.

One day YOU'LL wake up and the people on the outside of the Matrix will be tarring and feathering YOU for getting us into this mess in the first place (IE with your VOTING).

Old 06-01-2011, 03:11 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default Nail hit squarely on the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Whining is bad......but apparently whining about whining for pages is alright.
As much as you and I have gone head to head, I am pleased to note our agreement on your sentence above. We are witnessing here something so common on City-Data: Two people going at each other ad nauseum, both of whom have to have the last word - picking each others' posts apart to the point where anything of substance is almost lost. It is so tedious.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:18 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But mostly "my cause" and stated clearly about twenty times...
is to see the abundant energy and touches of intellect focused on solution instead.

What else do you have?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
What the younger generation has figured out that the older generation still has it's head in the sand about is this: It does absolutely NO good to vote. It's a complete waste of time because it's a smokescreen.

There's a movie that I think everyone who thinks like this ought to watch. Its "All the King's Men".

My favorite line from the movie is when the protagonist, Willie Stark, gets up and tells everyone "If you don't vote, you don't matter".

Just think what would happen if 70% of all the Millennials got together and worked out and agenda and would only support candidates who supported that agenda. For example, how about a law that all people 50 years and older have to pay a surcharge on social security and medicare taxes of 3%? It would do wonders to boost the fund for future recipients.

If you really believe voting doesn't matter and refuse to do it, you deserve to have the politicans ignore you. Those who don't vote will one day wake up and realize what they lost through sheer stupidity.
I sort of agree with you but sort of agree with the other points, too. Our so-called democracy/republic has been hijacked by a very small global elite who control the money system, education, the media, etc. Voting en masse is a vital first step, but it will never be enough, all by itself to enact the necessary changes. They will have to go much deeper than that.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,383 times
"Sense of entitlement" is a fictional problem, and a euphemism for "lack of silence while being screwed."

Old 06-03-2011, 12:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman72 View Post
Case in point:

Are Young College Grads Too Lazy to Work? - NYTimes.com

In terms of purchasing a first home, student loans, getting the required credentials for even getting our foot in the door in the first place, recent grads have been feeling the heat and have had to pay out the wazoo. I make an alright salary in an extremely high cost of living area, graduated with an engineering degree, and I absolutely laugh at the prospect of me having the 2.3 kids, picket fence, etc. etc. without finding a wife who has a similarly decently paying job - which is rare in this economy

-----------------------------------------------------

::is boomer::

::rails against youth entitlement::

::went to college when school was 2-3k per year and could be paid for with summer job money::

::went to law school under the same circumstances::

::to the extent college became a joke, set the boomer policies that made it so (participation ribbons for all; everyone should go to college; no dumb questions/people; bitchtits soft majors espousing one group or the other is oppressed; emphasized feeling over counting/discovering/observing)::

::worked many fewer hours than youngs as technology has made most high paying jobs (all professional service jobs, most middle management and higher industry jobs) 24/7/365 efforts::

::grew up and worked in one of the greatest periods of growth and prosperity one country has ever experienced in the history of the world::

::didn't save enough for retirement::

::instead bought a used Porsche boxer and ****ty vacation house in Florida which is now 300k underwater::

:asses healthcare law that has effect of youth subsidizing olds (pre-medicare age olds) health insurance::

::refused to subsidize their parent's health insurance in the manner they're demanding of their kids (healthcare debates of 86 and 93)::

::refuses any and all changes to social security and medicare::

::refuses any tax scheme that would pay for same (even with help from youngs)::

::demands younger generations pay for all + interest -- all while knowing younger generation won't get their levels of benefits, if they get anything.::

::Intentionally drives economy off cliff because assume only people that will still be around when it hits the hard rock bottom are kids and grandkids ::

::refused to ever ****ing grow up (see, e.g., all the ads aimed at boomers, often for ED medication, portraying 50+ year old boomers in rock bands, surfing, and rock climbing; the many offices around the country where the greatest generation and the under 40 workers wear suits and the boomers wear rumpled polos and khakis in order to stick it to the man).::

::refused or were incapable of raising kids because they were overgrown children themelves (with a totally cool corvette!)::

::to the extent kids were raised, they were raised to be trophies for the boomer's happiness/contentment/bragging. Another way to oneup Tim Jones next door::

::are on pace to die penniless; they had the greatest wealth of any american generation and are projected to pass on the least to their kids and heirs::

::calls younger kids lazy and entitled::
Every generation does the same. The young ones feel the old generation screwed things up and are conservative and the older generation what you wrote.
I remember reading something similar to what you wrote from I believe the greeks or some other civilzation from those times.
There is not to say that both generation may have some validity to what they say of each other, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics