Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:09 PM

163 posts, read 428,130 times

Advertisements

Case in point:

Are Young College Grads Too Lazy to Work? - NYTimes.com

In terms of purchasing a first home, student loans, getting the required credentials for even getting our foot in the door in the first place, recent grads have been feeling the heat and have had to pay out the wazoo. I make an alright salary in an extremely high cost of living area, graduated with an engineering degree, and I absolutely laugh at the prospect of me having the 2.3 kids, picket fence, etc. etc. without finding a wife who has a similarly decently paying job - which is rare in this economy

-----------------------------------------------------

::is boomer::

::rails against youth entitlement::

::went to college when school was 2-3k per year and could be paid for with summer job money::

::went to law school under the same circumstances::

::to the extent college became a joke, set the boomer policies that made it so (participation ribbons for all; everyone should go to college; no dumb questions/people; bitchtits soft majors espousing one group or the other is oppressed; emphasized feeling over counting/discovering/observing)::

::worked many fewer hours than youngs as technology has made most high paying jobs (all professional service jobs, most middle management and higher industry jobs) 24/7/365 efforts::

::grew up and worked in one of the greatest periods of growth and prosperity one country has ever experienced in the history of the world::

::didn't save enough for retirement::

::instead bought a used Porsche boxer and ****ty vacation house in Florida which is now 300k underwater::

:asses healthcare law that has effect of youth subsidizing olds (pre-medicare age olds) health insurance::

::refused to subsidize their parent's health insurance in the manner they're demanding of their kids (healthcare debates of 86 and 93)::

::refuses any and all changes to social security and medicare::

::refuses any tax scheme that would pay for same (even with help from youngs)::

::demands younger generations pay for all + interest -- all while knowing younger generation won't get their levels of benefits, if they get anything.::

::Intentionally drives economy off cliff because assume only people that will still be around when it hits the hard rock bottom are kids and grandkids ::

::refused to ever ****ing grow up (see, e.g., all the ads aimed at boomers, often for ED medication, portraying 50+ year old boomers in rock bands, surfing, and rock climbing; the many offices around the country where the greatest generation and the under 40 workers wear suits and the boomers wear rumpled polos and khakis in order to stick it to the man).::

::refused or were incapable of raising kids because they were overgrown children themelves (with a totally cool corvette!)::

::to the extent kids were raised, they were raised to be trophies for the boomer's happiness/contentment/bragging. Another way to oneup Tim Jones next door::

::are on pace to die penniless; they had the greatest wealth of any american generation and are projected to pass on the least to their kids and heirs::

::calls younger kids lazy and entitled::
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 04:12 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Cuz we do not want to pay all our lives into the ponzi scheme they perpetuated and (Now that they have run the country into the ground with social programs and debt) want to use to supplement their failed retirement funds.

I've been told on here to 'Stop whining and pay'.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
As one of the younger boomers, I have to say that I would not have made it this long without a working wife either, and despite what you may call times of prosperity, we've had plenty of hard times getting 3 kids raised. All three
are gainfully employed, the oldest at 31 is married and just bought a $500,000 house, doing better than we were at that age financially.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:50 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
As one of the younger boomers, I have to say that I would not have made it this long without a working wife either, and despite what you may call times of prosperity, we've had plenty of hard times getting 3 kids raised. All three
are gainfully employed, the oldest at 31 is married and just bought a $500,000 house, doing better than we were at that age financially.

Did you have Half a mil of debt at 31?

Old 05-30-2011, 04:55 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,927 times
My feelings on the Baby Boomers equal George Carlins. In fact, I'll just simply quote him as saying that if younger people want any sort of LIFE whatsoever then they need to get out there en masse and start offing baby boomers, because they will take EVERYTHING and leave nothing for anybody else if they aren't controlled lol

Old 05-30-2011, 05:03 PM

163 posts, read 428,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
My feelings on the Baby Boomers equal George Carlins. In fact, I'll just simply quote him as saying that if younger people want any sort of LIFE whatsoever then they need to get out there en masse and start offing baby boomers, because they will take EVERYTHING and leave nothing for anybody else if they aren't controlled lol
Unfortunately, that's the major issue I have with my generation. Full of wusses. Most would rather be "well behaved little boys" and would prefer to get accolades by playing by the system's rules, well knowingly that they're concurrently taking it up the rectum

Old 05-30-2011, 05:06 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Take everything....that's all they've ever done.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:09 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman72 View Post
Unfortunately, that's the major issue I have with my generation. Full of wusses. Most would rather be "well behaved little boys" and would prefer to get accolades by playing by the system's rules, well knowingly that they're concurrently taking it up the rectum
The current generation has been bought off by tgeir boomer parents. The most rebellious generation refused to grant the freedom it demanded to its own kids.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:23 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I'm an older boomer and most of that stuff you accused the boomers of doesn't pertain to me. I have always been frugal, never bought a NEW car, just used, economical cars. I think I was in high school when Medicare was passed and so I just thought of it as something for my parents.

And so on and so forth----------don't lump all of us together.

I do think younger generations are spoiled and babied. I think they have had too many expensive toys. I'm a woman and when I was a kid we played with DOLLS--and we didn't get the most expensive one out there either. There was a Disneyland in CA (nothing in Orlando back then) but we didn't really GO there. Nor did we feel entitled to go there. We had to stay home and climb trees and ride our bikes and play outside. Our families didn't take expensive vacations and smother us with toys.

I grew up and became a teacher because as a girl, that's about ALL GIRLS WERE ALLOWED TO DO.
Teacher, nurse, secretary. That's it. The newspapers would advertise for help wanted-male and help wanted-female. The crummy jobs were for the females. I could say more but every generation is discontented and you are entitled to feel that way. Oh--don't let me forget--the BOYS were drafted to Viet Nam unless they went to graduate school right away or ran off to Canada--and it wasn't a justifiable war by ANY means. Just a place to get killed.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
It's hard to do these sorts of articles (or threads) without having some generalities and even some hyperbole mixed in... but the pattern of relying on far too many of them and imposing mostly unsupportable views and motivations on others (like the title of this thread "Why do baby boomers look down on Gen Y?") weakens what legitimate points that can be and sometimes actually do get made.

And this bias for retrospective just doesn't accomplish anything at all.
Why it is and how it got that way it is virtually immaterial.
What you're going to do now is all that matters.

What as individuals are you going to do with whatever resources you have available?
And what as a generation are are going to do? For yourselves and/or for others.
Because there isn't anyone else who is going to or can do it for you (collectively or individually).

That distinction also applies: keeping the macro analysis, strategy, rationale distinct from the micro.
---

I'm not voicing any answers here because frankly I don't have any and also to be frank I don't need any (aside for what I'll do and am doing to help my own two Y's)... this is intended more like a line judge calling out of bounds and keeping you in and focused on the actual game.

Keep your eye on the ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics