Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:34 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Am I the only one confused by why someone so pessimistic who has had such a hard time getting a job would choose to leave their current employment? Heck, I don't have problems finding work and am not pessimistic, and I've been putting off moving because the uncertainty makes me nervous.
There are several factors in my life that are causing me chronic depression, so I need to escape. Medication and therapists couldn't help so other changes are needed. Details into that are for another thread I think though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 PM

125 posts, read 167,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I know the 1 percenters are the ones that did the best in the post recession world. The working poor are ravaged these days. Hopefully decent hiring will continue though and the middle guys can pull through.
At least you were able to scrape together one correct fact. I have never enjoyed my continually growing amount of money like I do today.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartoday View Post
At least you were able to scrape together one correct fact. I have never enjoyed my continually growing amount of money like I do today.
Are you a 1%er?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanduskyShowerAttendant View Post
Someday, it will be. We just have to continue to endure.
Sure hope so. I figure the Great Depression was bad for a decade,l and we are five years into this mess. It can't last much longer right?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwenger View Post
No. It's going to get worse before it gets better. And this has nothing to do with politics.

When I moved to Columbus, Ohio in 1990 there wasn't a single Wal-Mart, Staples, Home Depot, Dick's Sporting Goods, Best Buy, Target, Lowes, Office Max, etc, etc etc.

When I left in 2010 there was one of each at every exit around the beltway and a few places in between.

How does the economy support that when the population has only grown 30-40%

When I moved to Columbus there were a few 4 screen cinaplex's and a few 8 screen cineplex's. There was maybe 40 screens to see a movie on in the county. Today there's a 30 screen megaplex every few miles down the street. There are at least 400 screens in this city to see a movie. At a time when people are installing extravagant home theater systems it doesn't make sense.

Nordstrom and Saks which they didn't have 20 years ago. In an overgrown college town. Luxury shopping everywhere.

They're building CVS and Walgreen's on every street corner. I've never walked into one. There's a pharmacy in every grocery store in town.

The bubble hasn't burst yet. Keep your head down when it does.
Some of those businesses may be late to the party and some will fail for various reasons. But, you can be certain the vast majority of those corporations choose their locations and potential consumer base very carefully before investing in those locations.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:56 PM

125 posts, read 167,539 times
Quote:
Are you a 1%er?
Of the plebeian 1%, no. Of the elite 1% of the 1%, yes. That is .0001 without the use of a calculator thanks to one of my various degrees from the Ivy League.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
And I can't wait to prove you wrong. ...
Often the will to prove others wrong is what drives people to success. Let that be your motivation.

If your found work throughout HS until now, with only a one year break after college graduation, then things may not be as bad as they seem. It is not uncommon for someone in their twenties to feel under appreciated and held back from fulfilling one's potential. Patience, hard work and persistence often lead to reward, even if at times it seems slow.

Framing this thread around your own personal situation is why people are responding in a personal way. You could have avoided that had you left your personal details out of it and been more general.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Am I the only one confused by why someone so pessimistic who has had such a hard time getting a job would choose to leave their current employment? Heck, I don't have problems finding work and am not pessimistic, and I've been putting off moving because the uncertainty makes me nervous.
Why many stay in the same job for as long as possible, even if they are miserable. Who wants a poor decision to be their own undoing?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
There are several factors in my life that are causing me chronic depression, so I need to escape. Medication and therapists couldn't help so other changes are needed. Details into that are for another thread I think though.
This is what came through in your initial post which people keyed upon. It came across as pessimism.
You need to consider your view of the economy in light of this predisposition to negativity, which could be attributed to said depression. In other words, perhaps things are not as bad as they might seem to you.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
This is what came through in your initial post which people keyed upon. It came across as pessimism.
You need to consider your view of the economy in light of this predisposition to negativity, which could be attributed to said depression. In other words, perhaps things are not as bad as they might seem to you.
Perhaps you are right. Optimism always puts a better outlook on things. . It is just hard to do so with all the bad economic news over the past several years. What you say though mimics what a lot of my friends say. Optimism is key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics