Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 04:21 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Honestly, if you can't compete with someone who hasn't graduated high school for a job that requires no training at all, you don't deserve the job over them.
Yea, your an adult now. Why would you compete for a low wage job in the first place? Saying that I do know people that have low wage second jobs to help them pay down the bills or get some savings in place. I know one guy that had to have a boat and he ended up getting a second job so he could save and pay cash for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 08:38 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If you can't beat out a teen for a job you've got bigger problems
That's kind of my thought. My 15 yr old will be job hunting soon. He may be able to get a job for 10-15 hours a week but I somehow doubt the hours he'll be working would steal the food off someone's table

Old 08-22-2014, 08:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
many needy americans dont want work. i was working at 16. trust me i needed it. not everybody lives in mayberry.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:54 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,061,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2514 View Post
I believe that it disadvantages the millions of people who actually have bills to pay.
I understand that kids benefit from holding a job early. I want my children to be responsible and.competent when they get older.
However employment is not.a teaching tool-it is a necessity. As parents we are required to meet our childrens' needs until the ahe of 18. Basically the earnings go toward leisure.

Think about it-there are people facing eviction and without food. And it's hard for them to find work. So why should we hire someone who doesn't need the money?

There's another way to teach responsibility. It's called chores.

There may be exceptions- If the family's income is below a certain level, and of course any emancipated teens.

As an assistant manager I cannot discriminate based on need. But I do think if this was considered, it would help a llot of needy americans find work.
Teen jobs I find to be more than fair because

1) the teenager cannot take up these jobs during school hours (only after hours) since required to attend public school. Fair to say a teen who drops out of school for a remedial job should not get priority on that job because the learning on-the-job must supplement school learning or else it is counterproductive.
Also.....if the job is more serious in demanding flexibility of hours, it wouldn't be a teen position unless it's a summer job only

2) those who need to support their kids should think higher than taking #1 value meals at a fastfood counter. Gear towards more strenuous sales and marketing tasks that involve items used/sold by experienced adults (I.e"telephone marketing, tech support, taxi shuttle services for travelers...moving truck driving...long distance haul driving...nannying...assisting elderly in nursing facilities....these jobs are where you wouldn't need to compete with teens and there's plenty of demand for these fill-in jobs

Old 08-23-2014, 01:24 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
So your american-bred child is more worthy of a job than someone else, all because of birthplace?

A person can control what they're born into, apparently.
I find it funny how some people have sympathy for people with disabilities but being from another country or not born with a silver spoon in your mouth makes you unworthy.
You don't get it, do you? Illegal aliens have no business being here, let alone working. Legal immigrants, on the other hand, have permission to live and work here.

And, yes, my "american-bred [sic] child is more worthy of a job" than an illegal alien.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:04 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
I believe that it disadvantages the millions of people who actually have bills to pay.
I understand that kids benefit from holding a job early. I want my children to be responsible and.competent when they get older.
However employment is not.a teaching tool-it is a necessity. As parents we are required to meet our childrens' needs until the ahe of 18. Basically the earnings go toward leisure.

Think about it-there are people facing eviction and without food. And it's hard for them to find work. So why should we hire someone who doesn't need the money?

There's another way to teach responsibility. It's called chores.

There may be exceptions- If the family's income is below a certain level, and of course any emancipated teens.

As an assistant manager I cannot discriminate based on need. But I do think if this was considered, it would help a llot of needy americans find work.
You're assuming a teen isn't getting a job to help at home financially. Oh and there are plenty of lazy azz Americans who rather sit on welfare than get that job a teen will take. I don't see many Americans out there picking fruit or cleaning houses.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:33 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
Yeah, college bound teens do get some experience from these jobs, but 5/7/11/whatever years down the line, when they are looking for REAL jobs after college/grad school, working one summer at Subway doesn't mean squat.

However a job like being a research assistant or something like that will look good for college and grad school resumes.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:39 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
So your american-bred child is more worthy of a job than someone else, all because of birthplace?

A person can control what they're born into, apparently.
I find it funny how some people have sympathy for people with disabilities but being from another country or not born with a silver spoon in your mouth makes you unworthy.

Animals are "bred" not children and someone with a disability who is a "Legal American Citizen" does have more rights and should get all the help necessary over someone who is "ILLEGAL".

Once you accept the fact that "Illegal" is just that "Illegal" you may start to understand why your negative comments really mean little and your credibility is nil.

What makes someone as you put it "unworthy" is simply the fact they are in this country "Illegally" and has nothing to do with them on a personal level, or their worthiness.
However being in a country Illegally and knowing you are Illegal but coming anyway pretty much shows how worthy of trust you are.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:58 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Yeah, college bound teens do get some experience from these jobs, but 5/7/11/whatever years down the line, when they are looking for REAL jobs after college/grad school, working one summer at Subway doesn't mean squat.

However a job like being a research assistant or something like that will look good for college and grad school resumes.
I'm sure all teens would love a job that will help them out on their resumes later on. But right now a lot of teens are more concerned about being able to afford books for college someday (at a state school) than whether or not their resume has all the right pieces. Thats what is so ignorant about this thread. I worked as a teen and college student because if I wanted to do anything I needed money to do it. I was lucky, I only needed money for clothing, food, and anything fun. I had roommates that worked to pay our rent, to pay for books, to pay for the part of tuition their scholarships didn't cover. This idea that most teens and young adults are coddled and supported by parents isn't true at all.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:04 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
So you don't believe that the experience didn't open doors to other opportunities to work the next step in the ladder? or paid for expenses that lead to better opportunities? or teach valuable skills and instill a healthy mentality?

I started in college working a bowling alley resetting stuck pins and spraying shoes.. which lead to customer front positions... which lead to cash handling responsibility.. which lead to night shift managing... of which built skills (soft skills, recommendations) that placed me in a position helping students and professors in the computer science department. At this point, I was paying the majority of my own way through college. All of that precipitated a series of events that lead to a Student Engineering position with a fortune 500 company by the time I was towards the end of my Sophomore year. I paid the rest of college afterwards.

Fast forward....

I lost my job after working a development position (no customer front) for several years. It was a tough time for anyone in the computer industry. I managed to land a job working a support position for a disaster recovery outfit. I was well qualified technically... over qualified in some respects. Do you know what they asked me in the interview? "Do I have any experience dealing with customers in a stressful situation? " They were happy with my past experience at the bowling alley and support at the computer science department all of which occurred back when I was student.

I quickly made it to a senior position with the company... not because of my technical skills only (lots of people in the organization had them).. but because my communication and customer related soft skills.

That lead me to a support position (phone) at another company which lead to me back to a software development position with the same company (they didn't realize I could code... lol).

The job itself is not as valuable as the skills, experience, and mentality it instills in a young mind. It builds a foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics