Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 05:14 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times

Advertisements

I know a young woman, that took Chinese Language Classes in high school. She was so good, a large employer hired her part time while in high school, paid for her college and kept her employed and a great high paying job after college with lots of responsibility. She has been to China many times, for the employer.

She started working at 16, and from there her future went up and up. She went to a job fair for college students, and asked for a part time job while in high school, and that wanting a job while in high school put her on a track for a lifetime job and a high salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 06:03 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I know a young woman, that took Chinese Language Classes in high school. She was so good, a large employer hired her part time while in high school, paid for her college and kept her employed and a great high paying job after college with lots of responsibility. She has been to China many times, for the employer.

She started working at 16, and from there her future went up and up. She went to a job fair for college students, and asked for a part time job while in high school, and that wanting a job while in high school put her on a track for a lifetime job and a high salary.
Do you really think everyone here is stupid enough to believe such BS?

Old 08-24-2014, 09:00 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I got my first FT job at a college job fair too. It would have been a career job for me but I left 12 years later to be a SAHM. My husband has worked there since college where he did part time, evening/weekend shift work...the lowest position in the company actually. 38 years later he has an MBA, which they paid for, and is a well paid executive at that same company. Yup.

I'm not saying that is going to happen for kids these days, it probably won't since the employment climate has changed, but it could change again and many people find their niche when working while young.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:28 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
My niece sure believes it, and has worked for them for over 15 years now. She is not the only one they have on staff that can speak, read, and write Chinese. With the business that is going on with China today, there are going to be a lot more of them in the future. White men and women, that can read, write, and speak fluent Chinese in several dialects as she does now, are hard to find and very valuable in the business world. As the average American executive does not have this knowledge, these that can do this accompany them to China on business, handle correspondence and communication when at home. Who do you think, communicates with the Chinese. Some of the Chinese speak excellent English, but not enough that they can always communicate with Americans in the business world.

She took a class her freshman year in high school, and found out she had a perfect knack for becoming fluent in Chinese. When her employer saw what she could do as a junior, they started grooming her for a future with them. She has gone over on trade missions involved with our government, trade shows, and to many company meetings with business and government officials both in the U.S. and in China.

Both of her parents were teachers, and she started taking it and thought she would get a job teaching it in high school or at a college. By her Junior year she had figured out, the real future was in the business world, where they would pay well for her unique talent. It was a good decision.

In my years in the corporate world, I have seen numerous extremely bright high school students with unique talents, that were brought in under the wings of a big company that helped them finish school and work part time and summers, and went on to great futures with the companies. Only the very brightest with very unique talents are given this type of opportunity. The rest of us have to struggle and fight our way to the top, but the ones with extreme talents are sought after.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
Jobs have never been given out based on who "needs" it the most.

And contrary to popular belief not every teen who is employed is some suburban upper middle class kid who works simply for gas and date night money

Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Jobs have never been given out based on who "needs" it the most.

And contrary to popular belief not every teen who is employed is some suburban upper middle class kid who works simply for gas and date night money
I don't get what people have against young people from stable homes going out of their own volition and earning money that they use to improve their lifestyle and gain experience. Isn't acting on one's desire to work and improve one's life a good thing?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:04 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,463,657 times
a teen's job is just as important as a parent's job, I worked as a teen to pay for all my own medical & dental costs and other extra costs so my parent didnt have to pay for it

Old 08-26-2014, 12:44 PM

86 posts, read 86,997 times
Easily said, although it reinforces our very good reputation with immigrants, that is, in an ironic way, probably the worst relationship with people on earth.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I don't get what people have against young people from stable homes going out of their own volition and earning money that they use to improve their lifestyle and gain experience. Isn't acting on one's desire to work and improve one's life a good thing?
Teen employment is especially now that teens do need experience when they really do enter the workforce.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:11 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Rule 1 of the Internet: Don't call people stupid. You don't know them. They might be a genius.

I found the story entirely believable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics