Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 04:03 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not me . i don't claim to be an economist nor be able to fix a thing . unlike most of the posters here .

i play the cards i am dealt to make a better life regardless of what they are .
Just like the rest of the population who puts faith in man made sciences. Not sure why credentials or field of study has to do with anything. I can spit in a bucket and let you study it for a lifetime, but I would never suggest it would make you any wiser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 04:08 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
not me . i don't claim to be an economist nor be able to fix a thing . unlike most of the posters here .

i play the cards i am dealt to make a better life regardless of what they are .
Rejoice mathjak!!!

You'll distribute the cards now

Old 03-16-2016, 04:23 PM

106,723 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Just like the rest of the population who puts faith in man made sciences. Not sure why credentials or field of study has to do with anything. I can spit in a bucket and let you study it for a lifetime, but I would never suggest it would make you any wiser.
which is true for most of the malarkey in the economics forum . many of the doom and gloomer folks who post here daily think they have all the answers with their limited knowledge and basing it on what they hear other mis-informed people say or write . .
so for the most part you are correct- like the spit in the bucket what you read here makes you no wiser . there is a whole other side of facts missing from the arguments you see .

most of the time it is just pointing the finger and playing the blame game because those same folks did not do well financially , mostly because of their own doing or views .

as an example you had the fed doing everything but dropping leaflets from helicopters telling folks at least shift over to bonds , savings accounts will yield little .

you have those folks that paid attention and did very well in bonds . then you had others who did nothing and then complained about the rates on cd's.

as i always say -those who want to succeed will find a way -the rest will just find an excuse or someone to blame . this forum is filled with the blamer's .

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-16-2016 at 04:40 PM..

Old 03-16-2016, 05:42 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,981 times
Quote:
Banks have to make money too. Even when they can't.
That doesn't explain how they're going to steal it, as you contend will happen. There's plenty of ways to make money without stealing

Old 03-16-2016, 06:21 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,582,293 times
Quote:
I'm glad you enjoy this soviet style planned economy.
You clearly have no idea how the Soviet planned economy functioned.

Quote:
No one wins with interest payments on savings alone.
What? Someone page richrf, this might rock his world!

Old 03-17-2016, 02:02 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
so they should raise rates with things regressing ?

i got to hand to you amateur economist wannabees , you guys are nuts .
mathjak, please read https://larrysiegeldotorg.files.word...e-policies.pdf

I am not an amateur economist and I am not nuts. Zero or near-zero interest rates are a confiscatory tax on savings; they discourage desperately needed savings; they don't do anything for growth; and they deprive the economy of funds needed for consumption and investment. Larry

Old 03-17-2016, 02:40 AM

569 posts, read 552,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Rejoice mathjak!!!

You'll distribute the cards now
LOL my thought exactly!

I don't like the people who hold the systems hostage, and regard not that the systems were set for a better life for all. Instead, they use the systems to kill people. I'm not a commie. Call me a Humantrian Capitalist(reg. trademark DO NOT COPY)!

Last edited by CPPU12345; 03-17-2016 at 02:51 AM.. Reason: reg. trademark DO NOT DUPLICATE

Old 03-17-2016, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
mathjak, please read https://larrysiegeldotorg.files.word...e-policies.pdf

I am not an amateur economist and I am not nuts. Zero or near-zero interest rates are a confiscatory tax on savings; they discourage desperately needed savings; they don't do anything for growth; and they deprive the economy of funds needed for consumption and investment. Larry
except the flip side is raising rates is a tax on the american public. since 1/2 of all americans have no savings to get interest on and most have very little savings if they manage to save anything as well as have existing debt and plenty of it , low rates puts billions back in to the pockets of americans for spending elsewhere .

every dollar that gets sucked away in interest on a mortgage , a car loan , student debt , credit cards , money costs built in to the prices of goods and services and the gov't debt is a dollar that can't be spent on goods and services elsewhere .

those with savings just had to slide over to bonds to do very well . in fact most folks with money have diversified portfolio's and made up for the low rates on cash instruments with other investments .
higher rates and higher inflation go hand in hand and historically cash instruments have had as many negative return years as positive years .

for the most part higher rates are like the emperors new clothes . you think you are getting something but after inflation and taxes you still got little to nothing .

Americans spent 5.8% of their after-tax income paying interest on mortgages, credit cards, car loans and other debt, according to the latest data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis. That's the smallest share since 1977 and a steep drop from a record high of 9.1% in 2007.

Three-fourths of the interest savings stem from falling rates, the rest from a reduction in debt.

Mortgage interest payments are down 30% from their 2007 peak. Interest payments on other debt, such as credit cards and car loans, are down 50%.

Even if people aren't paying attention to their interest payments falling, the money builds up in their checking account because their bills are less then they otherwise would be at higher rates .

when it comes to economics there are 2 sides to everything .

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-17-2016 at 04:36 AM..

Old 03-17-2016, 04:47 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
I am proud of the FED.

They guided us through one of our darkest times very well.

Bernanke did a great job.

But the thing is Yellen is uninspiring in that sense.

She has 2 basic things to do.

Normalize rates and shrink the balance sheet.

So far she's a dud.

But i'm pretty sure Bernanke will get his Nobel prize.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:54 AM

i agree with that opinion .

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-17-2016 at 05:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics