Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 01:11 AM

13,660 posts, read 9,724,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I hate the notion that anyone that disagrees with Fed policies is broke-I am doing quite well but will continue to point out the declining QOL for most Americans, and the corruption/collusion in our financial system.

This seems to be a big reason why "Gordon Gekko" himself supports Bernie Sanders for President-a consumer based economy cannot grow when the wages for 90% of the population have been stagnant for over a decade....
I'd opine that the core problem is precisely the fact that the American economy is too beholden to domestic consumption. An economy structured more around export and public-sector spending (especially defense) would, perhaps, be more robust and more sustainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 02:30 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
And there are even more that ARE doing poorly financially but would never complain about our economic system-which is heavily reliant on this ignorance. As important as you may think you are, more important in our economy are the consumers that spend 100-110% of their income.

I hate the notion that anyone that disagrees with Fed policies is broke-I am doing quite well but will continue to point out the declining QOL for most Americans, and the corruption/collusion in our financial system.

This seems to be a big reason why "Gordon Gekko" himself supports Bernie Sanders for President-a consumer based economy cannot grow when the wages for 90% of the population have been stagnant for over a decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wAa9DqHZtM
odds are if they are doing poorly there is no one to blame but themselves .given the same scenario there are always those that will succeed where others fail/.

it is more likely a personal issue pertaining to them not gov't policy .

for 40 years which is the length of time i have been working every day i get up , put my pants on , go to work and try to do the best job i can at supporting my family and investing and growing whatever money i could round up for our future .

which i did well enough to retire very nicely in nyc last july .

regardless of what party is in power or the fed or any gov't policy my day is the same .

ultimately it is i in the drivers seat and responsible for everything good or bad in my life . i can honestly say if i didn't follow a thing about politics or economics i would never know what party did what . except for vietnam no political party ever changed that daily routine

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-19-2016 at 02:39 AM..

Old 03-19-2016, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I'd opine that the core problem is precisely the fact that the American economy is too beholden to domestic consumption. An economy structured more around export and public-sector spending (especially defense) would, perhaps, be more robust and more sustainable.
the regional manufacturing survey by the Philadelphia Fed, came in at 12.4 . that is the first positive reading in seven months, and the highest level since January of 2015. Manufacturing has been the weakest part of the economy so if that can turn around that helps .

the dollar is now down 5% over last year and corporate profits could see an uptick as they win more and more foreign bids for goods and services .

there are more drilling rigs going back on line as oil hovers near 40 bucks and the weaker dollar is making oil cheaper in other currency's and could spur demand increasing growth in our energy sector .

there are quite a few positives in other areas going on .

much of our gdp is based on consumer spending and much of consumer spending revolves around home ownership . the buying of a home triggers very very large spending on everything from furniture to appliances to construction materials and the construction of a new home triggers even more . so as long as home sales hold up so should spending .

we have loads and loads of boomers now retiring and moving to cheapsville buying homes and remodeling and furnishing them .

so while things ain't great they certainly are a whole lot less bad with some bright spots out on the horizon .

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-19-2016 at 03:20 AM..

Old 03-19-2016, 06:41 AM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
odds are if they are doing poorly there is no one to blame but themselves .given the same scenario there are always those that will succeed where others fail/.
Your obsession with the wealth and achievements of others is disturbing. I guess in your world, the one who is right is always the one with the most money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
What makes a lot of people think that the Fed's policy is going to end well?
Boomers don't care. If their investment vehicles fail, they get to blame the government and feel sorry for themselves again. It would be reminiscent of their youth. It would also show them to be the most hypocritical generation in US history.

Oh ya, and many like to brag that they will be dead before the day of reckoning finally arrives. Optimists, all of them.

The boomers danced for the crumbs like no generation before. For many of them still trying to hang their head high, the Fed is their retirement plan.

Quote:
the regional manufacturing survey by the Philadelphia Fed, came in at 12.4 . that is the first positive reading in seven months, and the highest level since January of 2015. Manufacturing has been the weakest part of the economy so if that can turn around that helps .
False. Manufacturing has been one of the most resilient sectors following the recession. People were quite shocked at how well US manufacturing had done following the recession.

It is one of the best forward indicators in my opinion.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:20 AM

manufacturing had been falling off according to the fed data.

the current numbers are the highest since jan 2015 .

in fact the ISM was at the lowest level since 2009

better check your sources again

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/04/news...ain/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Your obsession with the wealth and achievements of others is disturbing. I guess in your world, the one who is right is always the one with the most money.

Boomers don't care. If their investment vehicles fail, they get to blame the government and feel sorry for themselves again. It would be reminiscent of their youth. It would also show them to be the most hypocritical generation in US history.

Oh ya, and many like to brag that they will be dead before the day of reckoning finally arrives. Optimists, all of them.

The boomers danced for the crumbs like no generation before. For many of them still trying to hang their head high, the Fed is their retirement plan.
i have no obsession with wealth , i just hate listening to folks whine and blame everything around them for their own lack of success when most of the time it is self inflicted . there is a difference .

Old 03-19-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:

U.S. manufacturing index at worst level since 2009 - Jan. 4, 2016

i have no obsession with wealth , i just hate listening to folks whine and blame everything around them for their own lack of success when most of the time it is self inflicted . there is a difference .
Who cares about a temporary dip. Manufacturing has always ebbed and flowed. Remember when I told you volatility was going to spike? It did. You saw it in manufacturing, and other sectors that are more exposed to the "free market".

I don't know who has been complaining about their lack of success. I'm not sure why anyone would think their wealth, or lack thereof, is relevant to the discussion of economics.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:12 AM

547 posts, read 507,130 times
Quote:

U.S. manufacturing index at worst level since 2009 - Jan. 4, 2016

many people on this forum seem to think our country has a problem with the way it is being run finacially.
is there something wrong with pointing that out?

Old 03-19-2016, 10:24 AM

nope , but when every day they post every piece of trash article they can find about something being wrong it is a bit over the top . what about the things that are right ? what about those who are doing well .

yeah there are issues but some of the folks here will jump in to any investing discussion and just side track it with every bit of negative trash they can find .

then they complain about interest rates on their savings are low and they never even invested in bonds instead of cash which have done very well .

they avoid any market investments and preach to others relentlessly .

so yeah i get tired of the doom and gloomers . if it was a mixed bag and some days they talk about the good it would be another thing . but the same skewed views on the same topics over and over grow boring .

Old 03-19-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
nope , but when every day they post every piece of trash article they can find about something being wrong it is a bit over the top . what about the things that are right ? what about those who are doing well .

yeah there are issues but some of the folks here will jump in to any investing discussion and just side track it with every bit of negative trash they can find .

then they complain about interest rates on their savings are low and they never even invested in bonds instead of cash which have done very well .

they avoid any market investments and preach to others relentlessly .

so yeah i get tired of the doom and gloomers . if it was a mixed bag and some days they talk about the good it would be another thing . but the same skewed views on the same topics over and over grow boring .
I'm not sure who these people, but it is certainly their right to whine and complain. I wouldn't like to be referred to as a bum, just because my beliefs don't necessarily jive with some, or even the majority of "successful" people. We all have freedom to believe and say what we feel is right. The sooner Americans start thinking for themselves, instead of a bunch of conflicting special interests, the better off we will all be.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:01 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I'd definitely agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics