Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 04:05 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I figured someone would come up with that - but generic producer ads for "Eat More Potatoes!" or "Use More Salt!" aren't really in the same league with, say, any FritoLay or PepsiCo product campaign.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Can also cook in batches. When I'd make things like chili, chicken curry, etc. I'd make a huge batch and freeze a bunch of portions so easy to pull one out any morning to eat that evening. Even things we didn't freeze we'd usually make enough to eat twice in one week.

What if you live in a house that is refrigeration challenged?

Old 02-05-2018, 04:13 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What if you live in a house that is refrigeration challenged?
I see those for free all the time on CL. Even small ones.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why not? Why would anyone fail to negotiate a better situation? Lets look at McDonald's. I have a niece that works at a McDonald's near us. She has been working at that location for five years I think. During that time frame she moved up the ranks and now is a shift Supervisor. For her she likes McDonald's and plans on going into management.

I never knew to much about McDonald's and how you can move up in the business. We have become close to a couple. The husband got his start at McDonald's He had been general manager for McDonald's in our area overseeing 15 locations at one time. A couple years ago the owner sold most of his locations keeping just two in his portfolio. Our friend ran those locations for the owner until the owner decided to sell them. After those two sold my friend left McDonald's after a 32 year career. Interestingly enough, he had job offers coming from everywhere. For a 6 month period he did not work. He took time off. Last month he went back to work for a nationwide company, outside of the fast food industry. Him and his wife own a beautiful home, have a solidly middle class lifestyle.

Another family member also worked at McDonald's. He started in high school and continued on when he started going to the local Junior College. He met his girlfriend there and both of them transferred to a university in another part of the state. He ended up getting a job in a bank while he was going to school. The bank took him because of his work ethic that he learned at McDonald's.

In each of these cases the people moved up within the organization. They never sat idle. You can say that they did not negotiate. I would say that they were negotiating all along. It was their actions that did the talking. They worked hard to make improvements in their life.

Minimum wage is a sore subject for me. I would dismantle the law stating we need a minimum wage. Let the market say how much someone is worth. Minimum wage is saying someone is worth something and that may not be a correct assumption. Many people are worth more than minimum wage and many people are worth less than minimum wage. Those that move up within the ranks have proved that they are worth more than minimum wage. Those that continue to stay at minimum wage are probably not worth the money they are being paid.
I had an opportunity to do that with both Jack in the Box and 7/11 at the time. I did those jobs all the while doing full time College classes, that I paid for with those jobs. 7/11 has great benefits too. I ended up with an even better company but many I worked with worked hard and moved up the ladder at both.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
What the Hell is "food insecurity"?
From this thread I believe it means you can't afford steak, a good wine and sealed store made salads that you don't have to prepare because you are lazy. Also that it would impede the amount of time you get to spend online.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:25 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
I just checked online, Food4Less 10lb bag of Russet potatoes is actually $2.99 at the Oxnard CA Food4Less.

https://www.food4less.com/p/potatoes.../0003338353050
I suspect that the difference can be found below.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-stan...-and-standards

https://thecookingdish.com/0309/the-...he-red-potato/

Old 02-05-2018, 07:40 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Dude seriously.....the 60s? Ok .... Even then they should of been able to have a middle class lifestyle.
Maybe it was part time work. I don't know. As I said, I don't ask my friends rude and personal questions. I know my dad was a professional pilot (not with an airline) and even he had some problems feeding our family during the 60s. Food was cheap, but wages were low, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Of course it is possible to eat a good balanced diet on $6 a day. That will even pay for some nice variety in the diet. Perhaps you don't know how to cook? Other than some crock pot meals which cook all day (although with very minimal preparation time), $6 a day will even pay for some very quick to cook meals for people who work long hours.

Try going to the cooking forum and ask for $6 menus and you will receive lots of suggestions.
I know very well how to cook and I was doing just fine on $194/month of food stamps, thank you very much. I'm asking you guys to put your money where your mouths are and actually post a month's worth of healthy food for one person and see if you can keep it under $6/day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Dang, That's easy. It helps that I like oatmeal. It's almost too cheap to meter. I'm pretty sure it's 99c a lb when I buy in bulk but if I'm misremembering let's say $2/lb. I doubt I shake out more than 1/10 of a lb into pre-heated water and pop it back in the microwave. Beverage is either tea (4c for 2 bags) or fancy organic instant coffee 15c. Add a bit of honey, milk and walnuts and we're up to 50 or 60 c for a meal that takes 5 minutes and a microwave.

Pasta and jarred sauce is $3 for 6 servings, but let's throw in a $3 bag of parmesan for flavor and we're up to $1 a serving. Oh and I like the $6 box of organic mixed salad/spinach that's good for 16 salads if you eat it before it wilts. Add $2 salad dressing and you get a lot of health for 50c a salad. Nothing could be quicker. So that leaves $4.00 for dinner.
Now that's a good start. However, there are two other meals to the day and are you really going to eat 16 salads in a row? By the way, have you priced honey lately? Sugar is cheaper. Goes further, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Yep, that's what I do. I work a lot and I cook healthy meals at home. You must think I'm crazy.

My thinking is, if I'm working more to build up retirement savings or pay off bills, why would I waste it on unhealthy fast food?
If you're working 80 hours a week, you're working 16 hour days. Let's say weekends off. I have a friend who spends her entire weekend cooking food ahead for the week so she doesn't have to cook on the weeknights. That's when she cleans her house, too.

If you can do it, great! I tried that when I was working 40 hour weeks with a 30 hour a week commute and I finally decided that working wasn't the end all and be all of living. I suspect I would have thought that even if I wasn't commuting and was working a second job.

For a short term goal, I could do it. When I wanted to graduate from high school, I worked full time, plus an extra 12 hours a week, and took a full course in high school when I was supporting myself. But I can tell you, it still comes at a price.

And if you have kids, when do you see them or talk to them?

Quote:
I work one job and can put in 50 or 60 hours a week easy. My wife works 3 twelve hour shifts a week and she has been putting in an additional 12 hour shift each week.

We always cook at home. It takes planning and maybe you cook some things ahead of time and place them in the fridge. A pot of beans takes a while to cook but with a big pot of beans it can last for 3 or 4 days. Add additional things to that and you are set.
So who cooks - you or her? I guess what I'm trying to point out is that if you are gone 14 to 16 hours a day, then how much sleep are you getting if you're taking the time to cook and eat meals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I had an opportunity to do that with both Jack in the Box and 7/11 at the time. I did those jobs all the while doing full time College classes, that I paid for with those jobs. 7/11 has great benefits too. I ended up with an even better company but many I worked with worked hard and moved up the ladder at both.
7-11 has benefits? News to me and I worked for them for 4 years. I guess you had to be a pen pusher to get benefits, though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And again, let's remember that people who can't afford food are going to be short on other things. Maybe they have no microwave, or maybe they only have a microwave. They may not have a refrigerator and if their power is turned off, maybe they're cooking on a camp stove (like I'm going to be doing). They may only have one pot or frying pan, few dishes, little silverware. It's a fact that buying in bulk is the cheapest but if someone is living in a motel room, where do you store that food? Ten pound bag of potatoes. Five pound bags of beans and rice. If someone doesn't have a car, how are they supposed to get that food home?

There's a lot of variables, so maybe instead of saying "I do it so everyone can", how about we cut some slack for those who don't? Because maybe they really can't.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:42 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Where we live, you can often purchase a home and the payments will be cheaper than rent.

That's if you are qualified, of course, to purchase a home.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:35 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know what the government thinks the definition of food insecurity is, but I have yet to see any low income people, including the homeless, who look emaciated from hunger. Most of them, especially the children, are overweight. So they are all getting a steady supply of food from somewhere.

The only underweight people are the meth heads and even they aren't skeletal, so they are getting food when they remember to eat.

Poor persons have been overweight to obese for ages; and it has nothing to do per se with access to food, but that is consumed.

Cheapest and most plentiful foods are usually starches/carbs (breads, pasta, rice, noodles, potatoes...) which by the way are also rather filling. You look at "poor people" recipes and you'll find often dishes based on the above that contain little meat or veggies (enough to give flavor), but lots of carbs.

Remember the oft attributed (incorrectly) quote of Queen Marie Antoinette? "If the poor have no bread to eat.....".

Certain Eastern European cultures are famous for producing "ahem" healthy but poor people based upon their consumption of lots of carbs.

The other reason today why low income people are often obese is they tend to consume lots of processed foods and the other evil; sugar.

From the pop they gulp down like water to breakfast cereal (and much in between) sugar in all forms is packed into the foods many poor persons have access.

Where poor persons stick to their native diets, they remain largely thin and free of obesity and diseases like diabetes. But when western companies like Nestle, Coca-Cola and others get their hooks in; things begin to change. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ty-nestle.html

Old 02-06-2018, 01:29 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I see those for free all the time on CL. Even small ones.

I presume you're talking about a refrigerator. The house already has a refrigerator, it lacks adequate freezer space fox six people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics