Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 05:55 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times

Advertisements

Are you for real, I mean on these earth there are people unable to walk, some ill of last stage cancer, with lost passports etc etc. You can't just ask "how is eric trump suffering because even if unemployed he can go and get $2000, bingo".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 06:01 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm self employed and I did receive a notice to file from a separate program for small businesses. There are more strings attached but since I am still in business I have no need. What I see is the logistics from getting the money out to people.

NJ's unemployment system is over whelmed but they should've been able to handle that since the last 2 recessions. NJ pays $610/week in benefits and plus the CARES ACT that should be $1210/week for recent filers.

In Texas you receive $1000/week and with CARES ACT, that is $1600/week, you don't have to work if you're getting that much and can even pay for the mortgage easily.
The maximum benefit in Texas is $521 per week, with an average of about $250, so no one is getting $1k per week in benefit before the CARES act supplement.

Quote:
Suspension of rent and car payments does mean a delayed cost for people and credit card debt has jumped the last 2 months for avg Americans. But I believe the stimulus will eventually make it into people's wallets and ease some of the debts unless people are spending beyond their means which I believe is the true culprit for many poor folks.

Many people don't even make $1000 a week are gonna get their $500-1000/week from states and on top of that $600/week from the Fed. Why bother working at Amazon Warehouse for $15.75/hr x 40 = $630/week

The only people that don't qualify are illegals. The CARES ART does include provisions for letting those uber and gig workers to apply for benefits.
If you make $500 per week, there is no state that is going to give you that amount in unemployment.

Come on folks, at least go see what states actually pay in benefits instead of making up numbers.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:29 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The maximum benefit in Texas is $521 per week, with an average of about $250, so no one is getting $1k per week in benefit before the CARES act supplement.

If you make $500 per week, there is no state that is going to give you that amount in unemployment.

Come on folks, at least go see what states actually pay in benefits instead of making up numbers.
i worked just one day a week getting 400 for my one day .

i worked full time for the company for 25 years and do training for them the last 5 years just 1 day a week .

.. i get 192 a week in unemployment plus the 600 ... that is almost 800 a week on my one day that pays 400 ... i am in ny. the minimum unemployment here is 182 plus the 600

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-21-2020 at 06:42 AM..

Old 05-21-2020, 06:37 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
For example, Florida has 1.5 million who have filed for unemployment since March 1st. Of that number less than 500K have seen benefits as of today, and those benefits max out at $275 per week for state contribution along with the $600 per week Cares Act addition. The Cares Act $600 can only be received if successfully processed through the state system since it is also in control of distributing those funds. So since March 1st over 1 million unemployed in Florida alone have received basically zero. The $1200 federal stimulus still has not reached a sizable number either...

Old 05-21-2020, 06:43 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Why? Because a lot of people are gonna take anything if it’s “free”. And as long as yoire “struggling” others will flip over backwards to help.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:46 AM

i have no issues when someone is entitled to or earned what they are getting ... i object to fraud and gaming the system , that i have an issue with ...

my son was a welfare investigator here in nyc before he bought a car business .... the cases of fraudulent claims is insane

Old 05-21-2020, 07:32 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Also, along with unemployment came the loss of company subsidized health insurance. That is a giant added monthly expense for cobra or aca payments.
For lower income families, children were getting the bulk of their meals at school or summer programs- food banks don’t fully cover what was in place and are much more time consuming, inconvenient and unsafe with children in tow.
I would not assume all families have 2 parents or that both parents were working.
Some workers have giant drops income but do not qualify for unemployment because they still make above the threshold- this is especially true of higher paid hourly who have had their hours cut in half. Some would rather work part time and keep their jobs than get the larger unemployment payment.
How about the people who count on income from their 2 or 3 family or short term vacation rentals. They still have to pay mortgage and property taxes and cannot evict.
There are other options for health insurance. Short term medical insurance is available for under 200 bucks per month although it is capped at 1 million and has high deductibles and no prescription coverage. It is a pretty good alternative for someone with some savings to cover the deduct and not on any prescription.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Also, along with unemployment came the loss of company subsidized health insurance. That is a giant added monthly expense for cobra or aca payments.
For lower income families, children were getting the bulk of their meals at school or summer programs- food banks don’t fully cover what was in place and are much more time consuming, inconvenient and unsafe with children in tow.
I would not assume all families have 2 parents or that both parents were working.
Some workers have giant drops income but do not qualify for unemployment because they still make above the threshold- this is especially true of higher paid hourly who have had their hours cut in half. Some would rather work part time and keep their jobs than get the larger unemployment payment.
How about the people who count on income from their 2 or 3 family or short term vacation rentals. They still have to pay mortgage and property taxes and cannot evict.
there is heavily subsidized aca plans as well as medicaid if income is low enough .

Old 05-21-2020, 09:31 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
As everyone has said, there is no guarantee that a person will get unemployment benefits in a timely fashion, even if they are eligible.

A friend of mine is a manager for the taproom side of a large local brewery. He was laid off in mid/late March when the government forced the bars to close. He filed for UI immediately, and has yet to receive any money. He sold a second vehicle to tide him over. Meanwhile, the bar is opening back up tomorrow night. He'll be back to work before any of the back pay comes through. I could probably name a dozen people I know in the restaurant/bar industry in this situation.

I'm sure he'll be made whole eventually, but unemployment back pay coming in three or six months from now doesn't help him pay May rent.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:10 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
I keep reading news of food banks having long lines before it opens up and how dire it is for the recent unemployed. But unless you are an illegal you should have gotten the stimulus check along with unemployment benefits including the Federal additional $600/week bonus.

With rent being frozen at many cities and mortgages getting forbearance. This should help people free up $1500-3000+ in monthly living expenses.

CARES ACT Expands unemployment insurance benefits

Unemployment benefits for each person should receive atleast $1000/week+ with the CARES ACT bonus. That equates to around $4000+/month for the unemployed without having to pay rent or their mortgages for the time being. A couple should receive atleast $2000/week if they are both unemployed.

Isn't that too much assistance?

Where do you get your numbers from? At least 1k/week unemployment? A lot of people have not gotten the drop on the hot stone aka stimulus check yet. Rents are frozen where? How many single income households are there? How long does it take to start receiving benefits? Please do some research.

Just because the current situation works for you and your family does not mean your fantasy numbers are reality for a lot of working families. Ity is so easy to say "put family first" when you have the means to back it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics