Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 06:13 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
How many cashiers do you need for home delivery and curbside pickup?
Probably, zero. But you do need a lot more pickers, packers and drivers. Which would increase the workforce considerably. I doubt that Walmart is willing to employ that many people. Which is why I don't think Walmart will ever be able to transition to e-commerce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 06:43 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
You cannot try on clothes and shoes when shopping online. You used to be able to when shopping in a store.
^^This^^ When I try buying clothing online I usually wind up having to return about 75% of it because it doesn't fit. There are no universal sizes. I have tops at home that run the gamut from small to extra large. Plus I'm petite and many stores only sell petites and talls online.

And good luck trying on bathing suits online. I once tried on about 25 bathing suits in a store in order to be able to find one I liked that looked good on me. Plus sometimes it's nice to get out of the house and shop. Are we going to become so completely cut off from other people that we never leave our homes anymore?

Old 06-20-2020, 06:45 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Eliminate human cashiers? Oh man, I can see it all now!

Self-checkout (S): "Unexpected item in bagging area."
Customer (C): <removes item>
S: "Unexpected item in bagging area."
C: <removes item, replaces it, rearranges other items>
C: <tries scanning next item>
C: <tries waiting it out>
C: <abandons items, walks out without buying>

Thinks of all the lost sales from customer walkouts and spoiled food sitting at self-checkouts. Yeah, really profitable.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:10 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post

Thinks of all the lost sales from customer walkouts and spoiled food sitting at self-checkouts. Yeah, really profitable.
I will say that I haven't had such a problem at Walmart self checkout locations.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:21 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I will not use self check-outs. If I'm giving you my money I expect at least a modicum of interaction with a live person. I'm not interesting in increasing profits for the CEO's of huge companies while they cut jobs for their front line employees. I rarely shop at Wal-Mart and if they did away with all cashiers in favor of self check-out they will never see me in their store again.
Agreed. What's the purpose of going to all the trouble of driving to the store (and I'm 30 minutes from the nearest Walmart,) finding a parking space, standing in line for a sanitized cart, finding my crap, loading it up, just to check it all out myself, bag it myself, load it myself, and put the cart back in the carrel to drive another 30 minutes back home? I didn't go to all that trouble to make love to a robot. The least I deserve is a cashier. Otherwise I'd just order my stuff online and have it delivered to my doorstep. As for everyone's assumption that cashiers are rude, how do you know if you always use the self checkout? I hardly ever encounter a rude cashier and I use them frequently. Treat them as you would like to be treated.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:23 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
A news article from yesterday.

Walmart and Shopify to merge, to fight Amazon.

link. https://www.mymcmurray.com/2020/06/15/shopify-inks-partnership-with-walmart-as-it-prepares-to-battle-amazon-com/

Guess what that means ? A shift to a online business model by Walmart, with Shopify as the fulfilment and delivery supplier.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:38 AM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:

Where I am Walmart is the only option. Many smaller communities are like that. Where I am people will have to put up with it or drive an hour to a different store. And as others have said I have not had problems with self checkout. I think those technology limited have the issues from what I have seen. People that still have flip phones because they do not understand smart phones. They have trouble with self checkout.

There still will have to be supervisors there to step in when problems arise.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:53 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Where I am Walmart is the only option. Many smaller communities are like that. Where I am people will have to put up with it or drive an hour to a different store. And as others have said I have not had problems with self checkout. I think those technology limited have the issues from what I have seen. People that still have flip phones because they do not understand smart phones. They have trouble with self checkout.

There still will have to be supervisors there to step in when problems arise.
I suppose it's different in cities and suburbs, where walking or driving to another store is possible, if frustration makes you not want to continue using the machine. I generally prefer to interact with a human cashier, unless I'm buying something embarrassing, like condoms and Cool Whip at the same time.

The best self-checkout machines in my area are at Mariano's. They read barcodes really well, the scale is excellent, "unexpected items" don't happen unless they're actually unexpected, and the computer is lightning-fast. That said, they were last chain to put them in, so they probably got the most modern technology available.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:56 AM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
I suppose it's different in cities and suburbs, where walking or driving to another store is possible, if frustration makes you not want to continue using the machine. I generally prefer to interact with a human cashier, unless I'm buying something embarrassing, like condoms and Cool Whip at the same time.

The best self-checkout machines in my area are at Mariano's. They read barcodes really well, the scale is excellent, "unexpected items" don't happen unless they're actually unexpected, and the computer is lightning-fast. That said, they were last chain to put them in, so they probably got the most modern technology available.
I have only had unexpected item issues when I have placed unexpected items on the scale. Only hassle is produce and other items without bar codes you have to look them up. Perhaps newer computers will see the item and know what it is. My amazon sellers app with my camera can tell what most items are without a bar code. I have observed people struggling with self checkout. Usually when I am waiting behind them. And its usually obvious what they are doing wrong and I will help them if no store help is nearby.

Amazon was suppose to be working on self checkout where you do not even have to remove the items from your cart, they computer scanner reads everything in there. That would be the perfect solution if it works correctly.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:01 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:

Yep. Kroger has become so pushy with their self checkout only policy I don't shop there anymore. They MAY have one cashier in the evening. Usually it's none at all. It's not even that late at night; 7 or 8PM. My wife and I have gone in a few times for last minute items on the way home. I see nothing but the self checkouts and we leave again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics