Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:32 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,968,046 times

Advertisements

I think what this woman did was wrong especially since she was studying to become a teacher. I do think the punishment is too harsh. OTOH, the evidence of what her father did shows that the apple did not fall far from the tree. Fraud, it seems, runs in the family. If she did truly want to give her children a better education, she could have moved in with her father. That way, she would have been in a safe neighborhood herself as well.

This did, however, remind me of the scene in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, in which Francie sees a *beautiful school* and her father finds a way to send her there. I can see a poor mother or father really wanting to get their child a good education and doing whatever it takes to do that.

SparkNotes: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn: Plot Overview

Quote:
Neeley and Francie start school the same year. Francie has anticipated school with great delight, but finds the neighborhood school cruel and mean. Her love for learning is juxtaposed with the cruelties of the teachers and other children. One day, Francie happens upon a beautiful school that she wishes she could attend. Johnny figures out a way for Francie to transfer to this kinder school, where rich children are not favored over poor children like Francie. Although she never makes many friends, school becomes a more positive place for Francie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 03:22 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,592,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
If she legaly moved then in/tranfered custody, then her rent in her public housing apt would sky rocket.
Hmmm? Let's see....good schools for the kids or cheap rent in subsidized housing....tough choice there.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:26 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,233,257 times
Is that what you want to teach your children? How to cheat/game the system for personal advantage?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:52 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,945,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You are misrepresenting my position by stating that the laws I call unjust are those about lying to officials. I never said..
I never claimed YOU said anything. I asked what was unjust about them. How is that misrepresenting anything YOU said?

Answer: It's not.

Quote:
No, that is the law she was convicted of breaking that resulted in her jail time. First, she was charged with breaking Ohio revised code 3313.64 and 3327.06 which regarded establishing residency and the assessment of tuition. Those are the unjust laws.
I stand corrected about what law she broke. I will have to take your word on this. In my state (FL) people who have done the same thing have been charged with lying to public officials.

What is unjust about these particular laws?

Quote:
I don't think you know what the word predicated means, it means based off of in this instance.
Thanks for the vocabulary lesson.

Quote:
A little cause and effect, she broke the laws of residency by sending her children to the wrong district and then proceeded to further break laws by presenting false evidence of her residency when she was questioned about that residency. Its not possible for her actions to be based on those same actions.
I cannot understand this paragraph.

Quote:
Why do you keep asking the same questions over and over again?
Because you do not answer them.

Quote:
I do not beileve unjust laws need to be followed and that if in the commission of objecting to unjust laws other laws need be broken so be it. Rosa Parks was absolutely guilty according to the letter of the law in inciting a boycott. I also believe she should not be held responsible for that because her boycott was predicated on dissent to an unjust law.

Unjust laws aren't just optional they should actively be disobeyed.
Look this woman is no Rosa Parks. This woman is a lowlife. She has no particular social agenda. She is not standing up for any kind of social justice. She is just a liar who is trying to milk the system for something she is not entitled to have and she is pissed off that she got caught.

While I do think the sentence was way over the top and did not fit the severity of the crime I do think that what she did was WRONG.

Can you please explain to me what is unjust about residency laws? It is not unjust for school districts to educate only those who legally reside within its borders. What is unjust is stealing the public resources of others.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,393,975 times
Quote:
And her father lives in town and pays taxes. My point remains, her family pays taxes into the school system and only has her two children in it.

She drives them 45 mins to get them to school? Good for her and her kids. I had a freshman whose parents couldn't be bothered to put a coat on her today.

I am pretty sure most freshmen in high school can put their OWN coat on. Most high school kids don't wear coats here because they don't want to. Would you REALLY fight a teenager about putting on a coat??

Quote:
The district gave her a bill because the issue here is MONEY, except her father pays taxes to the school district.

Again what if it had been the children's father in the town instead of grandfather. Would it have been okay then?
The simple answer here is that if she wanted her kids to live in that town she should have moved there, period. It isn't anyone's fault but her OWN that she got into legal trouble over this. The gas money she would have saved driving 3 HOURS each day to bring her kids to and from school would have gone a long way to pay for additional housing costs-besides the obvious, she could have spent those 3 hours/day working a second job if she needed more money to live in a more expensive place .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
She was sentenced to 10 days jail/80 hours service and has already been released. The ridiculous part is the $30,000 fine.
Which is roughly equivalent to the school services she took from the schools to have her children illegally attend that school .

Old 01-28-2011, 11:01 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,182,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Is that what you want to teach your children? How to cheat/game the system for personal advantage?

Apparently. No wonder the world is such a screwy place now.

We had this happen in our area too. The difference is that in the area the mother lived, she paid twice the taxes on her home than the father did, but she decided that she wanted her jr to go to the school in the father's town. So, long story short, jr lived with Mom except during school hours.

Oh, btw, Jr had some pretty significant and expensive 'issues' which required a pretty large chunk of educational change to work with.

Say what we want about providing for our children, but when people who pay a high rate of taxes to live in their homes (and who also don't have children in the school system) see things of this nature going on, they are not going to support a school budget. They should not simply be told to 'buck up - the children are our future.' They have very valid points which should be taken into consideration.

Ditto for fixed income elderly who find themselves needing to sell the family house they've lived in their entire lives because they can't afford to pay the property taxes to live there anymore.

This is how wars are started. If you can't play by the rules, don't play at all.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:09 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,358,009 times
i am amazed at some of these replies. its so typically american as well. but i digress.

i had to do the same thing to attend a different high school in my county. i wasn't legally allowed to do so, like i said, i don't consider it robbing the taxpayer because we paid county taxes as well. but the thing was, i had been regularly harassed and bullied since i was in second grade, and by the time i went to high school or was about to go i had been threatened that "when you come to high school we are gonna really get you this time, its a bigger school", etc etc., i mean, very brutal threats. my mother and i had been in and out of the principal's office for years, and nothing had ever been done about it. so my mother decided to lie and say that i lived somewhere else so that i would be able to attend high school without getting beaten to death by redneck girls. friends of mine were badly beaten and finally some kids were thrown out of school. do you guys suggest i just have went instead of wasting the taxpayers' dollars? what about the damage and waste that would have ensued had they been sued because of negligence and not taking my claims seriously, which went back for years, and had physical evidence to back it up? i am not saying this woman's child was in the same predicament, but there can be very compelling extenuating circumstances and consideration goes both ways. i didn't want to waste taxpayers dollars but nothing was being taken care of, so why should i care? why can't a girl expect to be safe at school? is that too much to ask? this was in the precolumbine days, they have gotten smarter, but all i am saying is, sometimes its more complex than you think.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM

4,681 posts, read 5,006,668 times
Don't have kids you can't afford.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,393,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
i am amazed at some of these replies. its so typically american as well. but i digress.

i had to do the same thing to attend a different high school in my county. i wasn't legally allowed to do so, like i said, i don't consider it robbing the taxpayer because we paid county taxes as well. but the thing was, i had been regularly harassed and bullied since i was in second grade, and by the time i went to high school or was about to go i had been threatened that "when you come to high school we are gonna really get you this time, its a bigger school", etc etc., i mean, very brutal threats. my mother and i had been in and out of the principal's office for years, and nothing had ever been done about it. so my mother decided to lie and say that i lived somewhere else so that i would be able to attend high school without getting beaten to death by redneck girls. friends of mine were badly beaten and finally some kids were thrown out of school. do you guys suggest i just have went instead of wasting the taxpayers' dollars? what about the damage and waste that would have ensued had they been sued because of negligence and not taking my claims seriously, which went back for years, and had physical evidence to back it up? i am not saying this woman's child was in the same predicament, but there can be very compelling extenuating circumstances and consideration goes both ways. i didn't want to waste taxpayers dollars but nothing was being taken care of, so why should i care? why can't a girl expect to be safe at school? is that too much to ask? this was in the precolumbine days, they have gotten smarter, but all i am saying is, sometimes its more complex than you think.
So this makes it right to lie and cheat? The OBVIOUS solution in your case too would have been to MOVE into a different district. The reason behind this doesn't make it any more right.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:34 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,773,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I am pretty sure most freshmen in high school can put their OWN coat on. Most high school kids don't wear coats here because they don't want to. Would you REALLY fight a teenager about putting on a coat??
When the high temperature for the day is 12oC and she goes to a school with no hallways, yes, I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education