Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ??
Yes 44 29.93%
No 103 70.07%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:15 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times

Advertisements

couldn't answer the poll, needed another option. there were a few classes, teachers, and classmates that I really enjoyed and helped shape me. but I'd say that about 75% of the time, I wanted the whole place to burn to the ground and take quite a few people w/ it, ala Carrie. other than a few people and classes I truly enjoyed, high school as the second greatest source of depression, anxiety, and anger in my life and I'm glad it's over (don't even want to bother w/ the upcoming 10 year reunion)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 06:40 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
I didn't mind it. It was rather pointless, but that is what made it fun for me.

I like to space-out and do my own thing. High school let me follow my dream of doing nothing.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:18 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
I hated high school. I did not fit in in any group. I wasn't a jock and I wasn't a pot head and I wasn't a popular and I wasn't a geek. I didn't exist. I was so glad to graduate and never have to go back. I have never had even the smallest desire to go back or attend a reuinion. High school was the three most miserable years of my life. The second most miserable years of my life were middle school. Now, college, I enjoyed.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:39 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,578 times
Hated it. The only thing I miss was not having responsibilities and just being a kid! Also, there were high school crushes I never sealed the deal with! lol

Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I hated high school. I did not fit in in any group. I wasn't a jock and I wasn't a pot head and I wasn't a popular and I wasn't a geek. I didn't exist. I was so glad to graduate and never have to go back. I have never had even the smallest desire to go back or attend a reuinion. High school was the three most miserable years of my life. The second most miserable years of my life were middle school. Now, college, I enjoyed.
This paragraph is exactly how I felt to a T!

In retrospect, there were very few students who made high school miserable for me. I had no desire to hang out with most of them, but they weren't bad people. The issue that I had was what appeared to be an undercurrent of racism (in one case, blatant) from teachers. It wasn't until the end of junior year, when I started taking college classes, that I really said, "eff high school; this means nothing in the grand scheme of things."

Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,048 times
Tough question. I liked SOME things but probably hated more than I liked. Thumbs down.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:08 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
I hated it, college was a much better for me.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:59 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I didn't mind it. It was rather pointless, but that is what made it fun for me.

I like to space-out and do my own thing. High school let me follow my dream of doing nothing.
Yep, this was me, LOL.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:38 AM

86 posts, read 295,160 times
My high school experience was ehhh. I was like 1 of only 5 Asians in my school but I wasn't a book worm like the rest of them. I was sometimes teased for being the only Asian but I luckily I had a quick witts as well. I was like in the middle of the pack. In school I was cool with everyone, I socialized with the athletes and cool kids but never played on any team or was a cool guy the girls flocked to. I never really hung out with anybody from my school but had many friends from different schools.

I went to college and LOVED it. People were generally more open minded and there wasn't a hierarchy of who the cool kids are. There were social groups for anyone and I didn't have to worry about wearing the coolest clothes, or if someone was going to crack Asian jokes.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:13 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,223 times
I liked it while I was there. I didn't fit in with any particular group, but I was well liked by everyone--including my teachers. I had good friends, good teachers who seemed to like their jobs, and I felt prepared for college after I left. (I went to an upper middle class suburban district and had mostly honors classes) In fact, my excellent high school experience probably influenced me to go into teaching.

Now that I'm a High School Teacher though, I don't like it as much. It's all right, but not a lot of fun. meh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education