Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:34 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
"As a parent, you know that advocating for your child is in your job description."
This opening sentence of the article indicates the primary problem: whining parents and their self-entitled, self-indulgent children. A child shouldn't need advocating if their earning of something is self-evident.
You've got that right. If a parent is "advocating" it's because they feel their child deserves more. Often this is not the case. Parents, all too often, don't want their child to get the grade they deserve. They want them to get the grade that makes them feel good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 AM

137 posts, read 248,666 times
The vacation one bugs me. I don't mind if it's one day or two before or after a break but when they are gone for a week or more at a random time of the year that is ridiculous. The main thing for me with a parent, is just don't tell me how to do my job. I don't tell them how to do their jobs, I appreciate the same courtesy.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:40 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
A child ALWAYS needs an advocate, especially when they're in school...not all parents are whining, some parents have ligitimate concerns that are being swept under the rug, or ignored, treated by some teachers like they're nothing, and blamed for even bringing it up....
I agree...we had an issue with my oldest about his grades for one class (middle school). He's a straight A student with excellent work habits and he was receiving zeros and "incomplete work" on assiments as grades in the computer system. I told the teacher I was concerned because this was very uncharacteristic of him. She responded saying he was irresponsible, talked too much in class and demonstrated poor work ethic and habits. So we set up an appointment with the teacher, my child and the principal.

It turned out that there was another child in his class with the same last name and she was getting them mixed up (this was 7 weeks into the quarter). I never did get an apology from her either but at least the issue was resolved.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I agree...we had an issue with my oldest about his grades for one class (middle school). He's a straight A student with excellent work habits and he was receiving zeros and "incomplete work" on assiments as grades in the computer system. I told the teacher I was concerned because this was very uncharacteristic of him. She responded saying he was irresponsible, talked too much in class and demonstrated poor work ethic and habits. So we set up an appointment with the teacher, my child and the principal.

It turned out that there was another child in his class with the same last name and she was getting them mixed up (this was 7 weeks into the quarter). I never did get an apology from her either but at least the issue was resolved.
good for you. This attitude that any parent who dares to speak to a teacher about their child is a helicopter parent, part of generation entitled, etc. HAS to go.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Our district is set up so the teachers cna put most of this stuff on the internet. We have a passcode for a thing called parent connect. If we want to know what is turned in or not, what assigmenets are during absences etc. we supposedly can get all that onlie. Unfortunately they did not teach the teachers how to use it or requrie them to update it daily so only a few teachers actually use it.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
good for you. This attitude that any parent who dares to speak to a teacher about their child is a helicopter parent, part of generation entitled, etc. HAS to go.
I absolutely agree.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:14 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Parents and teachers *should* be on the same team. Unfortunately there are parents who think teachers are always wrong and teachers who think parents are always wrong. I recommend that they all read this book: How to Talk So Kids Can Learn by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish.

While it is mostly about how to talk to the kids, it also talks about how parents and teachers talk to each other. If we were more respectful of each other and did not talk past each other without understanding the issues, things would work much better.

Coding Horror: How to Talk to Human Beings

Old 08-22-2012, 12:52 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post

Glad it was resolved for you and yours *Sixty*...at first I was going to say it sounds like the teacher and your son were having a personality conflict, that's happened with one of my kids before, the teacher just didn't like my kid (and vice versa), it was obvious because my child was getting excellant grades until in this class....struggled for a year... passed..... and next year was once again excelling with another teacher.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:00 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times
When my daughter was in First Grade, she was already a fairly advanced reader. They were using SRA in the classroom, which I liked on the whole, but one particular story involved a boy who got tired of walking his dog and decided to bring the dog to the vet to be put to sleep! I thought that was horrible! I wrote a note to the teacher which included the unfortunate line (meant as a joke)

"I bet that material is older than you are!"

A few months went by and my daughter started coming home with more and more complaints that the teacher wouldn't call on her or that she would out and out make fun of her in front of the other students. I finally called a meeting in January to find out what her problem was, when she whipped out the note and pointed to that line! The copyright on the story was 1965, the teacher was definitely younger than that, I didn't mean it as an insult, just that maybe the school might want to review and update some of the material. But instead of calling me at the time the note was written, she pouted and took it out on a little kid.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
When my daughter was in First Grade, she was already a fairly advanced reader. They were using SRA in the classroom, which I liked on the whole, but one particular story involved a boy who got tired of walking his dog and decided to bring the dog to the vet to be put to sleep! I thought that was horrible! I wrote a note to the teacher which included the unfortunate line (meant as a joke)

"I bet that material is older than you are!"

A few months went by and my daughter started coming home with more and more complaints that the teacher wouldn't call on her or that she would out and out make fun of her in front of the other students. I finally called a meeting in January to find out what her problem was, when she whipped out the note and pointed to that line! The copyright on the story was 1965, the teacher was definitely younger than that, I didn't mean it as an insult, just that maybe the school might want to review and update some of the material. But instead of calling me at the time the note was written, she pouted and took it out on a little kid.
Well, what one person thinks is a joke, the other may think is totally serious. It happens here on CD! I think it's a good idea to can the humor in these situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education