Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:01 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,070 times

Advertisements

10 Things You Should Never Say to Your Kid's Teacher | Parenting - Yahoo! Shine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 03:10 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,981 times
I know people in college that xerox copied their homework before handing it in. Maybe the kids need to learn early that some teachers lose stuff and don't care about it negatively affecting individuals' grade.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:23 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
I've had 7 of them happen to me.

I've suggested that kids copy their work before turning in because I've been accused of losing their work (funny how it's always the same students over and over and over ) but they don't do it. I've had parents become irrate with me at the suggestion that kids keep a log of when they turn things in and have me sign it or copy their work. I get told "OTHER kids don't have to do that." That's because other kids aren't accusing me of losing their work.

If I could afford it, I'd get one of those neat desk scanners and have kids turn in their homework by scanning it in. It would take longer but I'd never hear "You lost my child's work" again. To my knowledge I have only ever lost one paper and I'm not 100% I lost it. It was a written portion of a test. It would be very brazen of a student to not turn in part of a test but the student had a big grin on his face when I told him I'd need him to retake that portion of the test. I can't explain how one test went missing.

I keep all work in folders until graded and handed back. Folders are color coded by class. Kids turn in tests to me and I put them, immediately, into the folder. Homework is turned in to the folder by the student. I only ever work with one folder at a time. I would think if I lost something it would be the entire folder. Now THAT has happened but I found it later. If I lost something, I'd be missing a lot of somethings not just one student's work. And it's always the same students...go figure. I just HAPPEN to lose the same student's work over and over and over....I guess I just have it out for that student.

My worst case here was a girl who insisted I lost her work to the point the principal had to be brought in. The principal decided to have the girl turn in her work to her. It wasn't long before I was accused of breaking into the principals office and stealing the work from the folder. So the principal started having the girl not just turn the work into the folder in her office but required a witness to sign off it was turned in. The parents were indignant that THEIR daughter wasn't trusted.

I love it when parents call me and say "I SAW Johnny working on his report. Why would he not have turned it in?". As if it's just not possible for a student to work on something and not turn it in.

Every year there will be 3 or 4 students whose work I "lose" and it will be the same 3 or 4 all year long.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I've had 7 of them happen to me.

I've suggested that kids copy their work before turning in because I've been accused of losing their work (funny how it's always the same students over and over and over ) but they don't do it. I've had parents become irrate with me at the suggestion that kids keep a log of when they turn things in and have me sign it or copy their work. I get told "OTHER kids don't have to do that." That's because other kids aren't accusing me of losing their work.

If I could afford it, I'd get one of those neat desk scanners and have kids turn in their homework by scanning it in. It would take longer but I'd never hear "You lost my child's work" again. To my knowledge I have only ever lost one paper and I'm not 100% I lost it. It was a written portion of a test. It would be very brazen of a student to not turn in part of a test but the student had a big grin on his face when I told him I'd need him to retake that portion of the test. I can't explain how one test went missing.

I keep all work in folders until graded and handed back. Folders are color coded by class. Kids turn in tests to me and I put them, immediately, into the folder. Homework is turned in to the folder by the student. I only ever work with one folder at a time. I would think if I lost something it would be the entire folder. Now THAT has happened but I found it later. If I lost something, I'd be missing a lot of somethings not just one student's work. And it's always the same students...go figure. I just HAPPEN to lose the same student's work over and over and over....I guess I just have it out for that student.

My worst case here was a girl who insisted I lost her work to the point the principal had to be brought in. The principal decided to have the girl turn in her work to her. It wasn't long before I was accused of breaking into the principals office and stealing the work from the folder. So the principal started having the girl not just turn the work into the folder in her office but required a witness to sign off it was turned in. The parents were indignant that THEIR daughter wasn't trusted.

I love it when parents call me and say "I SAW Johnny working on his report. Why would he not have turned it in?". As if it's just not possible for a student to work on something and not turn it in.

Every year there will be 3 or 4 students whose work I "lose" and it will be the same 3 or 4 all year long.
That is a really funny story. The sad thing is that situations like that happen in schools more often than most people realize. I wonder what the parent will do when their daughter gets an F in a college class because (as she tells them) "the professor lost ALL of my papers."

Old 08-22-2012, 07:48 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,326,471 times
"As a parent, you know that advocating for your child is in your job description."
This opening sentence of the article indicates the primary problem: whining parents and their self-entitled, self-indulgent children. A child shouldn't need advocating if their earning of something is self-evident.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Where is: "I am going to run for school board just so I can fire you."

I guess that one is OK since it is not on the list.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

OUr son used to do that all the time. His grades fell because he did nto turn in his homework, so we had the teachers write a list of all of his homework each day. Then we sat with him and made him do it. Still bad grades with comments "Does not turn in homework assignments" ???

Turns out he would just forget it, leave it in his locker etcetera.

Frankly I do not remember how we got that resolved. However he never accused his teachers of losing it. (hat woudl be dumb, five teachers all losing his hmework assignments?)

Old 08-22-2012, 07:57 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
"We're going on vacation for a week. Can you put together a packet of my daughter's work so she doesn't fall behind?"

Our school handbook has a section about how parents should not request work from school due to a planned absence. So, all I need to do is reference school policy.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
"As a parent, you know that advocating for your child is in your job description."
This opening sentence of the article indicates the primary problem: whining parents and their self-entitled, self-indulgent children. A child shouldn't need advocating if their earning of something is self-evident.
A child ALWAYS needs an advocate, especially when they're in school...not all parents are whining, some parents have ligitimate concerns that are being swept under the rug, or ignored, treated by some teachers like they're nothing, and blamed for even bringing it up....

Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,062,046 times
I teach at the college level, and every semester have a couple of students who don't get something back in class and then say "Where's mine?"

I tell them, "I put a binder clip around things that are turned in together in class [my students actually see me do this]. I take the binder clip off, I grade them all at the same time, I put the binder clip back on, and I pass them back at the same time. So I will either lose ALL of them or none of them."

I should add that some come back and tell me they found their work in their binder, not turned in. Aaagggh (but at least they admit it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education