Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 03:40 PM

298 posts, read 333,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Your criticism of him -the plumber - not doing the job correctly is fine, but since you had to call him in the first place means either you 1) don't actually know how to do his job or 2)you would rather not do it. Think about this logc: if you already knew what to do to fix your problem, then why call him? Do it yourself and prove that you can do it. OTOH, if you don't know what you're doing or would rather not make the effort yourself, but you keep telling him how to do his job, he's likely to tell you to shut up or do it yourself. Yes, you do have the right to criticize him if the job doesn't get done right - absolutely. What you don't have is the right to tell him how to do his job you don't know how to do yourself. That's called stupidity.

And just because you've had children doesn't mean you've encountered the whole gamut of children presonality-types that public school teachers have to encounter daily. When you've done that job for a few years - and done it successfully - then you have the right to tell other teachers how to do it. Until then, all you have the right to do is criticize those whose job you've never done. That is a right you have, just as it is their right to tell you to stop talking out of your a$$.

I'm not saying the teacher in this case was correct or not. I'm not even criticizing the kid. We will probably never get an unbiased truthfrom either, which is why we should NOT make summary judgements on a whole profession based on this 90 second video. That's logic.

So what motivation do lazy teachers have to improve if they are immune to all criticism from the public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 03:41 PM

298 posts, read 333,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I think we need PO boxes....Every year, I worry that some pissed off student will figure out where I live and do something stupid. So far, so good but there always seem to be a few that I pray never figure out where I live.

I think you should tell all students where you live at the beginning of the year.

That would show confidence in your abilities.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:41 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat_the_Streak_MLB View Post
In other words, it's just like the guy who you responded to said.

Who cares about being engaging when she can sit there and say "Who cares?" and not be paid any less.
UGH. She is not trying to be engaging. She's trying to defuse the situation and, IMO, doing a remarkable job of keeping her cool during the entire scene. I'm not sure I could have done as well.

The last thing she wants to do is engage the student or give him any more floor time. When dealing with these situations, the first choice is get the student out of the room. If that doesn't work, you remove the rest of the class from the room but you need to do either very calmly or these situations can blow up in a hurry. You do not answer the charges or engage the student in any way. That leads to the student controlling the situation instead of the teacher. She, calmly, maintained control and got the student out of the room. That was the best possible outcome.

This teacher did what she should have done under the cirumstances. She, calmly, told him, repeatedly to leave the room and, eventually he did.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I think you should tell all students where you live at the beginning of the year.

That would show confidence in your abilities.
You've got to be kidding. No matter what I do, there is going to be some student who thinks I'm the worst teacher in the world because I cannot be all things to all people. There is no way I'm telling students where I live. And besides, my students have no reason to know where I live. At least no good one.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:13 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
UGH. She is not trying to be engaging. She's trying to defuse the situation and, IMO, doing a remarkable job of keeping her cool during the entire scene. I'm not sure I could have done as well.

The last thing she wants to do is engage the student or give him any more floor time. When dealing with these situations, the first choice is get the student out of the room. If that doesn't work, you remove the rest of the class from the room but you need to do either very calmly or these situations can blow up in a hurry. You do not answer the charges or engage the student in any way. That leads to the student controlling the situation instead of the teacher. She, calmly, maintained control and got the student out of the room. That was the best possible outcome.

This teacher did what she should have done under the cirumstances. She, calmly, told him, repeatedly to leave the room and, eventually he did.
She did really well to keep her cool, this student was performing for the camera. Why are these kids allowed cell phones in class anyway.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
She did really well to keep her cool, this student was performing for the camera. Why are these kids allowed cell phones in class anyway.
Yes, she did very well. Which is why I'm shocked she's the one on leave instead of the student. I swear the inmates are running the ward.

Unfortunately, cell phones add another layer of complexity. Kids live for having something they did go viral. And John Q Public is ignorant enough to lap this up and ASSume the kid is right when the problem may be the kid wasn't doing what HE was supposed to do. If the class is taught by handing out packets, reading them and trying things on your own with the teacher available to answer questions, then that's the way it's taught. It's really not his call or his place to disrupt class and tell the teacher how she should teach.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
How can you be suspended for that?

Many people just ask that to make conversation.
He was suspended for something else (telling me to go F* myself).
When he came back he started asking where I lived.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
That's a pretty dark district when you consider that ~70% of the US is white.
Remember this is Texas, a border state.
Over 50% of the student population in Texas is Hispanic.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Cell phones in classrooms are common occurrences. Just like you see people all over with phones hanging from their ears or checking it every 5 minutes.

Students are doing the same.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
If you knowingly know something is wrong, but do it anyway, you are part of the problem.

It would be like giving your kid bad medicine and you know it will hurt them, but hey, "The doctor said so!"

You can get students talking to each other just as much by assigning homework as you will having them waste class time doing so. Except with assigning homework, you ALSO have the class time.

I could justify the proofs in geometry, but that's like 2 weeks of work in one year of one class. Using that as why every class should go to packets all the time is ridiculous!

*********r performance evaluation. That's just you being selfish. It's a trap. The district puts it on your evaluation and then if you do it, claims that "you weren't forced into packets. You CHOSE to use that system." And then you have no recourse.

WHO CARES about the powers that be? Those powers aren't going to teach a class. YOU do! If YOU stand up for what you believe is right, then enough people like YOU will be heard and the new approach won't be mandated. In fact, a better experiment anyway is to have 2 groups of students and then compare. And no., one year with 60 students isn't a big enough sample size.

If it worked yesterday, WHY would you change it? Are you not happy that it's working? I swear you guys worship these powers that be! Just because they pay you doesn't mean they OWN you. "Times are changing" is the biggest con job in the book. The human brain takes centuries to evolve. Everything didn't magically change in the last 20 years. And yet when you go along with such tactics, it's no wonder you're taken advantage of.

You talk about teachers not being respected? Well, I for one, would not respect someone who does what someone says just because they are the boss. That's weak and lacking moral conviction.

lol, so now you're teaching less material too? Oh, I'm sure that will really improve learning!
You have no business telling me how to do my job if you've never done it. You don't have a clue how things work. You really need to buy a clue.

If I blow of my PR, I end up out of a job. How does that fix anything? I'll tell you what. Go teach for 5 years and get back to me. You have no idea what you're talking about. You're just blowing smoke out of your ass. One of the problems with education, in this country, is people like you who have never done the job and have no idea what we are up against think you know it all. Well, you don't. When you have a job, you do what your employer wants you to do. That's how you keep your job. Losing your job just means you're broke and nothing is any different because the next person will just do what was asked of them and keep the job. I might as well be the one to keep the job. In 5 or so years, something new will come along to replace student talk. That's the way it works.

If you really want to change things, go talk to the politicians who make education policy. They won't listen to me because I'm just a teacher whose only concern is keeping my job (it's not like we got into this profession because we care about kids learning or anything like that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education