Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 11:51 PM

298 posts, read 333,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
She could, but then there's a pretty good chance that someone else would step in her place and probably do the same thing. Again, why would any teacher with the potential to become an effective molder of young minds want to be thrust into a situation in which they're not encouraged or allowed to develop their own teaching skills. The field doesn't attract the right people.

The question is, why?

Look at the video and then look at how the school administrators have handled that issue and you'll get your answer. Imagine being in a situation in which you're supposed to be the leader but the people you lead get to evaluate you and thwart you on the basis of whether or not they like you or like what you're telling them. Imagine if soldiers could just spazz out and walk out on a drill instructor - what kind of military would we have? Imagine if the government had laws that forced corporations to tolerate insubordination from their employees - what kind of corporations would we have? Imagine if the government forced parents to listen to their children air their grievances and gave them the constitutional 'right' to run away for the whole night to show their displeasure at their parents' disciplinary methods - what kinds of children would we have? You cannot have inmates running the asylum. Period.

But that's what's happening in a lot of our schools. The teacher's just told to present information and 'do their job', so that's what they do. We really shouldn't complain about it, because that's a situation that we've created for ourselves. As I said, we pay college football coaches about 10 to 20 times what the best school at that university gets paid. That shows me how much we really value education.

I actually think children should have that right.

They never picked their parents to be their parents.

It's different with a job because you choose your boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
That's the real problem I have with this whole thing. For all I know, the student might actually have some legitimate grievances.

But first of all, we don't know that for fact. And second of all, I think making the teacher, who's probably just implementing policy and procedures she has no control over, is wildly unfair. And it doesn't improve education. If anything, it just makes it a hell of a lot worse. America's falling in love with viral vids, because it's falling in love with itself. A generation of unaccountable narcissists.

But if you're implementing them, you're endorsing the procedures.

No one forced you to become a teacher and you knew what you were getting into or should have looked into the field before you became a teacher.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Yes, it was only a 90 second clip....but you can just hear the utter apathy in the "teacher's" voice. She's just there to collect her cheque. She's got that beaten down tone that only comes with waking up every morning and crossing an X on the "days left till my pension" calendar. You don't need any more context than what's provided to divine that. The kid started laying his tirade on a little thick at some points, but the gist of what he was saying rings pretty true. Yet another example of why my kids will *never* attend public school.

I totally agree.

But I think his tirade went on a little too long because he expected some kind of reaction from the students, which didn't happen.

They seem to have been lulled into the same trance the teacher was in.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The teacher is trying to defuse the situation and get the student out of the room. The last thing she wants to be is engaging. She did what she should have done under the circumstances.

I'm sure his criticisms were brought up earlier and she likely just ignored them then.

That's why such an outburst happened.

I certainly wouldn't put it past her for her to say something like "I'm the teacher, so shut up and do your work."

Old 05-13-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
UGH. She is not trying to be engaging. She's trying to defuse the situation and, IMO, doing a remarkable job of keeping her cool during the entire scene. I'm not sure I could have done as well.

The last thing she wants to do is engage the student or give him any more floor time. When dealing with these situations, the first choice is get the student out of the room. If that doesn't work, you remove the rest of the class from the room but you need to do either very calmly or these situations can blow up in a hurry. You do not answer the charges or engage the student in any way. That leads to the student controlling the situation instead of the teacher. She, calmly, maintained control and got the student out of the room. That was the best possible outcome.

This teacher did what she should have done under the cirumstances. She, calmly, told him, repeatedly to leave the room and, eventually he did.

So all she cares about is who looks better?

It's exactly these kinds of priorities that lead to outbursts in the first place!

And yeah, he left the room, but the same issue is going to keep happening until she actually answers his questions.

Last edited by Beat_the_Streak_MLB; 05-13-2013 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: Provide a more complete response

Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
You've got to be kidding. No matter what I do, there is going to be some student who thinks I'm the worst teacher in the world because I cannot be all things to all people. There is no way I'm telling students where I live. And besides, my students have no reason to know where I live. At least no good one.

Maybe the parents just want to know if you live in a good area?

Or are just curious?

Your home address may be listed online anyway, so it might not matter.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Yes, she did very well. Which is why I'm shocked she's the one on leave instead of the student. I swear the inmates are running the ward.

Unfortunately, cell phones add another layer of complexity. Kids live for having something they did go viral. And John Q Public is ignorant enough to lap this up and ASSume the kid is right when the problem may be the kid wasn't doing what HE was supposed to do. If the class is taught by handing out packets, reading them and trying things on your own with the teacher available to answer questions, then that's the way it's taught. It's really not his call or his place to disrupt class and tell the teacher how she should teach.

Of course it's his call!

He's being forced to take her class and he has no right to question how he is taught?

It would be different if this was a college class.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:05 AM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Maybe not - period. blah, blah, blah
Yah, you wasted your time. As soon as I saw, "period", I stopped reading. You don't get to dictate how other people feel. Your opinion is not THE opinion, "PERIOD".

Old 05-13-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He was suspended for something else (telling me to go F* myself).
When he came back he started asking where I lived.

Oh, well you didn't word your post concerning that well at all.

That's also a bit much for a single curse.

I think a detention is plenty for that.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Remember this is Texas, a border state.
Over 50% of the student population in Texas is Hispanic.

The Census has 70% of Texas being white, so I would consider 30% to be quite low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education