Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:56 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Why do kids need to respect AUTHORITY and what exactly is that?
I don't think he means that authority should be worshiped, only that he should acknowledge that the teacher has been given a public mandate to teach, and that he has no right whatsoever to disrupt her. If he doesn't like her teaching, if he doesn't like the education he's been given, he should take that up with administration.

Quote:
You make it sound as though bad teachers are relatively rare. I think the system is fundamentally flawed and the flaws are just getting more pronounced for a number of reasons.
Yes, there are a lot of bad teachers out there, and I think it has a lot more to do with the opinions of the average layperson weighing in on this subject than you might realize. Don't get me wrong - people should be having a healthy discussion about what education is and isn't, about what good teaching is and isn't. Unfortunately, I think education has been much too politicized along ideological and even religious lines. That's another thread, though. What concerns me is how anyone can look at that brief video and conclude that this boy's some sort of inspirational figure. I think it speaks of the average person's analytical reasoning capabilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 09:06 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,899 times
There was this funny incident when I was in high school. This was a Catholic school and my biology teacher, who was a lay teacher, got into some kind of argument with one of the Christian Brothers. I don't remember what it was about but I remember the expressions and body language. I thought Mr. Loretz was about to punch that brother's lights out. I would have loved to see it.

But face facts. I bet he would have gotten fired if he had done it. The *******s were in control.

The Christian Brothers were a bunch of arrogant obnoxious *******s as far as I was concerned, and not very smart on top of that. In 4 years all of my math and science teachers were not CB's. Didn't have the brains I presume. But that doesn't mean I ever really showed what I thought of them besides getting straight D's in religion.

I don't really care about the kid's hair. Look at some portraits of Isaac Newton. I would regard hair that long as a nuisance though.

psik

Old 05-16-2013, 09:48 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,973,009 times
Quote:
There was this funny incident when I was in high school. This was a Catholic school and my biology teacher, who was a lay teacher, got into some kind of argument with one of the Christian Brothers. I don't remember what it was about but I remember the expressions and body language. I thought Mr. Loretz was about to punch that brother's lights out. I would have loved to see it.

But face facts. I bet he would have gotten fired if he had done it. The *******s were in control.

The Christian Brothers were a bunch of arrogant obnoxious *******s as far as I was concerned, and not very smart on top of that. In 4 years all of my math and science teachers were not CB's. Didn't have the brains I presume. But that doesn't mean I ever really showed what I thought of them besides getting straight D's in religion.

I don't really care about the kid's hair. Look at some portraits of Isaac Newton. I would regard hair that long as a nuisance though.

psik
You really haven't made very many valid points in this thread besides spouting off personal opinions and biases as if they're facts.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:07 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,836,449 times
^ LOL! There ya go, psikeyhackr. One of the positives about "packets" is that they are largely standardized content and are free of the individual teacher's bias.

If a kid has trouble learning, then where is the parent help? It is the parents' job to see that their kid learns. If the kid has learning disabilities, there are state-mandated accommodations for the learning-disabled. It's the parents' job to see that their kid gets enrolled in that.

If Mr. Big Shot didn't like the packets, he still took it out on the wrong person. The classroom is not the correct time and place for that discussion. The teacher is doing her job, and she is using the tools that are mandated by higher-ups. It's not her choice whether or not to use those materials. The kid's beef should be taken to Administration. Mouthing off to a teacher is not the proper forum. If parents don't approve of a school's curriculum, there are plenty of private schools as well as other public schools. And in the USA, a family is certainly free to move about the county, haha.

If his mother is a teacher, what caliber of teacher is she? And why does she permit her kid to be so rude and rebellious and disruptive in school? If he's rebellious now, he's going to continue to be rebellious and disruptive throughout life.

And what's wrong with the parents of the other kids in that class, that they allow an azzclown to disrupt the education of their children? How come they are not all over the news, complaining about their children not getting their money's worth because some azzclown is creating disturbances.

Honestly, I think the whole public educational system has become too liberal, and too tolerant of bullsheet, and it's time to go back to "tracking" students into vocational/trade vs. academic track, and tossing out all troublemakers who are not interested in the subjects being taught.

The way things are going, the people who want to eliminate the costs of providing public schooling and push the entire cost back on parents, are winning. Making the public schools look useless and inadequate is a large part of the strategy in the war being waged against free public education for all.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
You really haven't made very many valid points in this thread besides spouting off personal opinions and biases as if they're facts.
This whole thread is the Authoritarians versus the non or anti-authoritarians.

It is as simple as that.

Like I trust Authoritarians to determine what is a valid point.

There isn't enough evidence in the video to indicate if the kid was justified. But there seems to be more than enough smoke to show that there is some kind of fire in our so called educational system. But I have been hearing about educational reform for decades now but do not see much in the way of results as the costs go up.

Here is a great 20 year old example of education.

Harvard Graduates Explain Seasons - YouTube

I could have explained that in 8th grade but not because I was taught by my so called educators. As a result of science fiction books I was reading about orbital mechanics. Our so called educational system emphasizes language and spelling more than science. Then math is taught like it is never-never land abstractions disconnected from reality. Then we wonder why kids are bored out of their skulls. I remember being bored in 3rd grade.

psik

Old 05-16-2013, 01:05 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
What's the context* of the video? All we're seeing is a student going on a tirade without knowing if any of what he's saying is true. It also seems like it might be, to some degree, staged, based on the filming of the incident (which shouldn't have happened, either).
^This. Seems more like an over-acted performance than a spontaneous outburst. I was waiting for him to start rapping. This was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it. I just revisited it again (after a few days of following this thread) and I'm having a hard time believing that this was a "real" event.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Just out of curiosity, which form or authority needs to be disobeyed? Your parents? Nope.. Teachers and administrators? Well you said no to that one...your boss? I don't think that's a good idea..A cop? Nope again...So which authority can be disobeyed?
If your parents are abusing you, then you certainly should disobey them to get away from the abuse, but many abused children find that extremely difficult. If your teachers are abusive, then you should disobey them as well (example - coaches or pe teachers who are like the coach from Rutgers who was just fired - someone should have fought back and someone should have reported it much earlier, but obedience to authority is what prevented that, imo).

If you are willing to accept the consequences *any* authority can be disobeyed. Examples include civil rights protests (I was around when we were doing sitins and registering black folks to vote in the south). There are times when authority should not be obeyed because they are exercising their authority illegitimately.

One example is if you are ordered to do something that is unethical. See the experiments done with college students where they were told to shock others (some obeyed and others did not). Yes, the shocks were faked but the students did not know that.

Milgram's Experiment on Obedience to Authority

Note the update here:
Charting the psychology of evil, decades after 'shock' experiment - CNN.com

Old 05-16-2013, 01:22 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,973,009 times
Quote:

It is as simple as that.

There isn't enough evidence in the video to indicate if the kid was justified. But there seems to be more than enough smoke to show that there is some kind of fire in our so called educational system. But I have been hearing about educational reform for decades now but do not see much in the way of results as the costs go up.

I could have explained that in 8th grade but not because I was taught by my so called educators. As a result of science fiction books I was reading about orbital mechanics. Our so called educational system emphasizes language and spelling more than science. Then math is taught like it is never-never land abstractions disconnected from reality. Then we wonder why kids are bored out of their skulls. I remember being bored in 3rd grade.

psik
Explain how I am an "authoritarian" as you like to call it.

What exactly is your educational background? What is your current profession?

Old 05-16-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Explain how I am an "authoritarian" as you like to call it.

What exactly is your educational background? What is your current profession?
I am not a professional educator and never wanted to be. I don't see how anyone could not be bored out of their skull teaching high school math or physics to 4 or 5 classes a day year after year.

Electrical engineering, worked for IBM for a while. And then they didn't mention von Neumann machines. I thought that was weird. I say authoritarianism is fundamental to the nature of this culture. The schools are part of the process of creating it. The trouble is the technology is multiplying the options of what can be done in the culture. Like showing a video of that kid and it going viral.

Who is in control?

Want to learn a lot about electrical engineering fast?

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics, by Stan Gibilisco
teach yourself electricity and electronics

The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill
Download The Art of Electronics – Horowitz & Hill | books download

EveryCircuit by Igor Vytyaz
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ycircuit&hl=en

But go to an engineering college and they will make you do Newtonian Physics with lots of calculus. Not that I really mind Newtonian Physics. They will just make you do about ten times as much math as necessary. Some people say it is actually used to eliminate people. Too many engineers would affect supply and demand.

Who needs school if you really want to learn a subject? The problem is finding worthwhile material among all of the crap.

psik

Old 05-16-2013, 02:59 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:

It is as simple as that.

psik
Could you, please, humor us and explain the seasons in terms of orbital mechanics? You've got me scratching my head on this one and I've studied orbital mechanics. I always thought it had to do with the tilt of the earth. I understood that long before I'd even heard of orbital mechanics.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 05-16-2013 at 03:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education