Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,703,520 times

Advertisements

I am going to say this and then be done with it..there is some evidence of a SEVERE lack of reading comprehension on CD..

1. The kid is 18 or whatever, no in my opinion, he is not a man. A man is a person that takes care of himself and his responsibilities no matter what they are, in a timely manner and does not whine/complain/throw fits like a child.

2. The kid was a problem student and had been kicked out NUMEROUS times by the teacher(hence the apathetic reaction by said teacher to tell him to leave)

3. Yes, there are some bad teachers, we have all had one, but they arn't all bad..do you seriously think that teachers want to be like robots and want to give packets all day? Teachers make do with what they got.

4. The student's mother is also a TEACHER. Why could he not go to her with these problems and why as a parent would she allow him drop out?

5. Some of the posters on here who are saying, "Bravo, kuddos, good job!.." to the kid probably shouldn't have kids. Kids need to be taught to respect authority. When a student does not respect a teacher because a parent doesn't either, do you really think that you are sending a good message to what would be your son/daughter? How would you like it if your hands were tired and that was you in that situation?

6. A lot of times, the students will not do work that the teacher assigns unless they are forced. Parents have dropped the ball by not teaching their kids to like education and be educated. It's a shame, but ask your kids about the lyrics of their favorite rapper and I bet you that they can all tell you. Since parents are not teaching their kids to be more educated and how it would suit them in the long run, they see this plus #5 with lack of respect and it makes a child just sit there in class, lazy and not wanting to learn.

I'm not saying the teacher is right in the situation, but we don't know how that school is run, and what she is allowed to do and what can you really glean from a 90 sec. clip anyway? The fact that the student was a problem student and his mother is a TEACHER, just screams of her inability to be a good parent since the student should know how to act and what is to be expected of them at their school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
3. Yes, there are some bad teachers, we have all had one, but they arn't all bad..do you seriously think that teachers want to be like robots and want to give packets all day? Teachers make do with what they got.

5. Some of the posters on here who are saying, "Bravo, kuddos, good job!.." to the kid probably shouldn't have kids. Kids need to be taught to respect authority. When a student does not respect a teacher because a parent doesn't either, do you really think that you are sending a good message to what would be your son/daughter? How would you like it if your hands were tired and that was you in that situation?
Why do kids need to respect AUTHORITY and what exactly is that?

You make it sound as though bad teachers are relatively rare. I think the system is fundamentally flawed and the flaws are just getting more pronounced for a number of reasons.

The trouble with being a kid is that you think whatever is going on is NORMAL and that you are supposed to adjust to it. Why do kids in India become Hindus and kids in Spain become Catholics? It is the socialization process. Now looking back I can see how stupid much of it was. For me high school was so much better than grade school I was impressed at the time. But I got straight D's in religion. I didn't do the homework at all. I figured they had a policy of not flunking anyone in religion. I thought it was funny. Straight A's in math and straight D's in religion. Most teachers I just put up with, I did not respect necessarily them. If they assumed I did because I was quiet that was their problem. I didn't do anything like what that kid did but I sat in class and mostly ignored teachers if I wasn't really interested in the subject.

But now I think making kids sit in those not very comfortable chairs for so much time is still psychological conditioning. I person has to learn to repress himself to put up with the crap and to not be taught anything relevant on top of it is ridiculous. English literature is SO RELEVANT!

I bought that book Cultural Literacy back in the 80's when they were making a big deal about it.

E.D. Hirsch on

It had the dates of all the American wars but did not have the date of the Moon landing.

ROFLMAO

To an extent we have the problem of dealing with what the authoritarian jerks regard as education and if you think it is nonsense then you are an immature wimp. I think the trouble with a really good National Recommended Reading List is that too many people who call their form of indoctrination, education, know that a great reeding list would give kids that want to learn too many options outside of their box of stupidity. Economists can't think of making double-entry accounting mandatory 40 years after the Moon landing, even though it is 700 year old. Give me a break.

psik

Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post

You make it sound as though bad teachers are relatively rare. I think the system is fundamentally flawed and the flaws are just getting more pronounced for a number of reasons.

The trouble with being a kid is that you think whatever is going on is NORMAL and that you are supposed to adjust to it. Why do kids in India become Hindus and kids in Spain become Catholics? It is the socialization process. Now looking back I can see how stupid much of it was. For me high school was so much better than grade school I was impressed at the time. But I got straight D's in religion. I didn't do the homework at all. I figured they had a policy of not flunking anyone in religion. I thought it was funny. Straight A's in math and straight D's in religion. Most teachers I just put up with, I did not respect necessarily them. If they assumed I did because I was quiet that was their problem. I didn't do anything like what that kid did but I sat in class and mostly ignored teachers if I wasn't really interested in the subject.

But now I think making kids sit in those not very comfortable chairs for so much time is still psychological conditioning. I person has to learn to repress himself to put up with the crap and to not be taught anything relevant on top of it is ridiculous. English literature is SO RELEVANT!

I bought that book Cultural Literacy back in the 80's when they were making a big deal about it.

E.D. Hirsch on

It had the dates of all the American wars but did not have the date of the Moon landing.

ROFLMAO

To an extent we have the problem of dealing with what the authoritarian jerks regard as education and if you think it is nonsense then you are an immature wimp. I think the trouble with a really good National Recommended Reading List is that too many people who call their form of indoctrination, education, know that a great reeding list would give kids that want to learn too many options outside of their box of stupidity. Economists can't think of making double-entry accounting mandatory 40 years after the Moon landing, even though it is 700 year old. Give me a break.

psik
You know, after going through this totally moronic post, I am assuming that you are like that beat fellow, you must be in your early 20s and if you are not, then you type like it...so to indulge you and hopefully take one less ignorant person out of the world..

Why should you respect authority? Because it's the right thing to do..even if you don't like someone you should at least respect them as a human being ..that's the very basis of who we are as people. Well hey guess what..i don't like you..so I hit you..and you call the cops..well screw them! They won't tell me what to do..and so I hit them too since I can't stand authority..now do you see where that line of thinking gets me? Nowhere! And that's how some students think nowadays. Or if you happen to do something dumb without thinking and you upset someone..well what do you care right? Well you just p*ss*d off the wrong person because they do care and they don't have that safety switch in their head that says don't hurt people and he starts whupping your butt..I know these are wierd examples but there are some crazy people out there that just dont' care and they will hurt whoever and whenever and sometimes it might be that one thing you do or don't do to set them off because you couldn't show even the slightest hint of respect. And if you just shrug your shoulders and say oh well..well then guess what ..you haven't had your *** whipped enough yet.

You must be a millenial..really? If you don't like the subject..well I'm not going to pay attention so there! That's real mature and I am assure that teachers would agree that if you are in their class and you can't pay attention, well then you deserve to fail. Btw, it's READING not REEDING. You have other errors, but I don't care to mention them..and normally I wouldn't care at all, but I find it hilarious that you are putting down english classes and literature when you can't even write what I assume to be your own native tongue.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
You know, after going through this totally moronic post, I am assuming that you are like that beat fellow, you must be in your early 20s and if you are not, then you type like it...so to indulge you and hopefully take one less ignorant person out of the world..

Why should you respect authority? Because it's the right thing to do..even if you don't like someone you should at least respect them as a human being ..that's the very basis of who we are as people. Well hey guess what..i don't like you..so I hit you..and you call the cops..well screw them! They won't tell me what to do..and so I hit them too since I can't stand authority..now do you see where that line of thinking gets me? Nowhere! And that's how some students think nowadays. Or if you happen to do something dumb without thinking and you upset someone..well what do you care right? Well you just p*ss*d off the wrong person because they do care and they don't have that safety switch in their head that says don't hurt people and he starts whupping your butt..I know these are wierd examples but there are some crazy people out there that just dont' care and they will hurt whoever and whenever and sometimes it might be that one thing you do or don't do to set them off because you couldn't show even the slightest hint of respect. And if you just shrug your shoulders and say oh well..well then guess what ..you haven't had your *** whipped enough yet.

You must be a millenial..really? If you don't like the subject..well I'm not going to pay attention so there! That's real mature and I am assure that teachers would agree that if you are in their class and you can't pay attention, well then you deserve to fail. Btw, it's READING not REEDING. You have other errors, but I don't care to mention them..and normally I wouldn't care at all, but I find it hilarious that you are putting down english classes and literature when you can't even write what I assume to be your own native tongue.
So you seem to equate FEAR with RESPECT!

Typical of authoritarians.

Not respecting authority does not mean being stupid enough to do ridiculous things in the presence of people with more power.

But I presume you think POWER is AUTHORITY.

You are way off on the age also. You just assume that not thinking like you is immature.

psik

Old 05-15-2013, 09:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post

<snip>

Most teachers I just put up with, I did not respect necessarily them. If they assumed I did because I was quiet that was their problem. I didn't do anything like what that kid did but I sat in class and mostly ignored teachers if I wasn't really interested in the subject.

<snip>

I think the trouble with a really good National Recommended Reading List is that too many people who call their form of indoctrination, education, know that a great reeding list would give kids that want to learn too many options outside of their box of stupidity. Economists can't think of making double-entry accounting mandatory 40 years after the Moon landing, even though it is 700 year old. Give me a break.

psik
First of all, while not all authority should be respected, it is important for people to distinguish between which forms need to be respected and which need to be disobeyed. In order for students to be educated, there must be a minimum respect for the authority of the teachers, principals and schools. Students should also be respected as people, but they do need to accept the rules of the school in order for the environment to be conducive to actual learning.

I see that you ignored teachers if you were not interested in the subject. The problem with that is that often you will not understand why you need to learn a subject until much later after you are grown and out in the world. Some subjects are not interesting to all students, yet they are common to our culture and we all need to learn something about them.

I have no objection to a national reading list, but... who would determine the books that were on it. I assume that this would be a list made up by those educators who are working within the government. How would that fit your criteria? Also, just having a recommended list is not going to mean that students would actually read any of the books on that list. If most students read none of your list, what would the list have accomplished?

I agree that much learning is culturally determined. You are correct that religion is inculcated by your parents and by where you are born, but that is not likely to change.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:42 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,972,379 times
Even if this teacher is incompetent, this student was way out of line.

Number one: They totally disrupted the learning environment.

Number two: They come off as being more concerned with garnering attention than with any real concern about their education.

Number three: If you look at the other students, many of them are looking at him like he's the crazy one.

Number four: He argues that the teachers need to be more entertaining? What is he going to do if his professor isn't entertaining enough? What if his boss isn't entertaining enough?

Last edited by UTHORNS96; 05-16-2013 at 07:59 AM..

Old 05-16-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
First of all, while not all authority should be respected, it is important for people to distinguish between which forms need to be respected and which need to be disobeyed. In order for students to be educated, there must be a minimum respect for the authority of the teachers, principals and schools. Students should also be respected as people, but they do need to accept the rules of the school in order for the environment to be conducive to actual learning.

I see that you ignored teachers if you were not interested in the subject. The problem with that is that often you will not understand why you need to learn a subject until much later after you are grown and out in the world. Some subjects are not interesting to all students, yet they are common to our culture and we all need to learn something about them.

I have no objection to a national reading list, but... who would determine the books that were on it. I assume that this would be a list made up by those educators who are working within the government. How would that fit your criteria? Also, just having a recommended list is not going to mean that students would actually read any of the books on that list. If most students read none of your list, what would the list have accomplished?

I agree that much learning is culturally determined. You are correct that religion is inculcated by your parents and by where you are born, but that is not likely to change.
Just out of curiosity, which form or authority needs to be disobeyed? Your parents? Nope.. Teachers and administrators? Well you said no to that one...your boss? I don't think that's a good idea..A cop? Nope again...So which authority can be disobeyed?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:01 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,972,379 times
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, which form or authority needs to be disobeyed? Your parents? Nope.. Teachers and administrators? Well you said no to that one...your boss? I don't think that's a good idea..A cop? Nope again...So which authority can be disobeyed?
To be fair, this country was founded by disobeying authority.

Many escaped slaves became free by running away and disobeying authority.

So I see their point when they say some forms need to be disobeyed.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Courtesy and respect are two different things. People assume you respect them just because you are courteous. Just because you do not respect someone is no reason to let them know.

We may need more than one list for different factions. But short explanations need to be givien for why a book qualifies. But having no list after all of these decades with so many books to confuse children is rather silly don't you think? We end up with so much randomized and redundant information, most of which is not important. Then you can't find what is important. But is that the objective when most people are using the information hiding tactic?

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Mastering the Art of War by Thomas Cleary should be on the list. LOL

psik

Last edited by psikeyhackr; 05-16-2013 at 08:38 AM..

Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I think it's utterly disgraceful how the school administration is handling this issue. One of the administrators essentially said today that the student "was not wrong" or "did nothing wrong". Clearly, the school officials are being intimidated by the publicity that this is generated and, rather than defending the way that their school operates -- which is not up to the teacher, by the way -- they have basically sold the teacher down the river by placing her on paid leave and avoiding direct criticism of the student, whose behavior is clearly out of bounds even if his points are spot on (which is unclear from the video).

If I'm a teacher at this school or in this school district, the message is clear: keep your students happy at any cost. The students aren't dumb: they'll take their cues, too. And you'll have a bunch of copycats imitating this behavior until it gets to the point at which school officials realize it's out of control. That's why I would never teach in one of these schools. If this were my only option as a teacher, I'd find another field to work in and take my chances.

The real problem is one of local control of schools: the school systems in this country have become a battlefield for activist PTAs and school board officials, who try to impose their own influence on schools and teachers. They try to manipulate students by mandating which content can be introduced into textbooks - often at the expense of historical facts. They then try to take that control even further by telling schools what to teach, how to teach it, and how to evaluate 'success'. And the teacher is the one who gets left holding the bag.

Why? Because of the laws of supply and demand. There are simply more teaching jobs, and thus more people who are applying for teaching jobs. Because of low pay and the aggravation that teachers end up having to put up with, it's not the kind of position that will attract elite minds. Don't get me wrong - there are great teachers out there. I'm sure the ones on this board are probably good teachers as they seem to care about their profession enough to voice their views on this subject. But they are too far and few in between.

I don't blame the teacher though. I blame a society that values college football coaches 10 times more than it values teachers. I suggest that red, white, and blue 'taxpayers' take a long, hard look in the mirror and think about that the next time they want to rant on the state of poor teaching.

Preach it! Everything you said is spot-on.

As for that kid in the video, I don't know why there even is any support for him. I hated him on sight. He's a total fool, in actions and appearance. First, it's a school's job to TEACH, not entertain. If any student expects school to be like going to the movies, they should expect to be continually disappointed, because school is work. Not entertainment.

2. "touch his heart" -- Well, eff that. It's the parents' responsibility to do stuff like that, not the teacher's. Teachers are there to teach, not parent. I am sick and tired of people, parents and kids, making unreasonable demands on strangers to do chores and parenting that they ought to be doing themselves. Also, children are underlings, not authorities. Adults run the show. Children should sit down and shut up and not bother the rest of us. Parents, teach your little pride and joy how to fit in and comply and not go around disrupting the rest of us and taking up too much space and making noise. I'm not even a teacher, and I am tired of your useless, mouthy, and arrogant children. Lock 'em up at home and homeschool them. Thanks.

3. That long haired kid looks like an azzclown, and that's exactly what I thought of him at first visual, and exactly what I thought of him after watching his video. I can't stand disruptive kids who mouth off with an air of entitlement. Go home, and give the drama to your mama. I loved the teacher's bored tone, and especially loved that she told him "You're wasting my time." That's exactly what he was doing. Wasting time, disrupting the class, mouthing off. All the kids like that should be tossed out of the public schools, so that the teachers can teach the ones who are there to learn, and so that the students who are there to learn can do so without drama and disruptions. At least some of the learning has to be packets. Even college is increasingly self-teaching now, with an instructor there only to answer questions or explain something that the student could not figure out from the book. Europe has been doing that for a while. Again, anyone who expects to be entertained and not worked by schooling, is bound to be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education