Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 10:01 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,414,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
You saw 1 minute and 27 seconds, most of which featured an incoherent teenager who has the vocabulary of someone about five or six years younger ranting like a schizophrenic. There's no way you can look at that video and get any sense for what's happening in the class. Maybe the teacher lacks enthusiasm, but boring people still have important information to pass along once in a while.
That is funny.

Admittedly the video does not contain enough information to really evaluate the quality of the teacher. But that evaluation of the student says more about the poster than the student.

The majority of people who submit to BS keep the people who can't tolerate it from doing anything about it.

But I think the solution is to short circuit the educational system. Who really needs it for education anymore? We only need it for CERTIFICATION. A good reading list could have replaced the education function of most teachers long ago.

psik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 10:22 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,581,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
You saw 1 minute and 27 seconds, most of which featured an incoherent teenager who has the vocabulary of someone about five or six years younger ranting like a schizophrenic. There's no way you can look at that video and get any sense for what's happening in the class. Maybe the teacher lacks enthusiasm, but boring people still have important information to pass along once in a while.
That is very true. I had a professor in college who was as boring as they could get but the man was brilliant. I had to train myself to pay attention but it was worth it.

I also agree on the video. I'm surprised the teacher was reprimanded based on that video. That is testimony to the sad state of education these days. When I was a kid, if I did this, I'd get suspended, have to appologize to the teacher and everyone including my grandfather would tell me to do as I'm told in school!! Now the teacher gets put on leave because a student flies off the handle.

If you're considering teaching as a profession...RUN the other direction.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times
The kid gets no punishment and goes on the TV talk show circuit.
The teacher gets put on leave and investigated.

Do you still need to ask what is wrong with our education system today ?

And what this kid did is tame compared to some stories you may have read about.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:38 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,581,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

What this kid did is tame compared to some I've personally experienced.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:04 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,338,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
That is funny.

Admittedly the video does not contain enough information to really evaluate the quality of the teacher. But that evaluation of the student says more about the poster than the student.
What does it say - that I think the teacher's right? No, not necessarily.

I just don't think the video really gives anyone solid evidence of what preceded the outburst. We have the outburst on tape - that's it. We have no background. Your assumptions about what happened are just that - assumptions. They're not fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
The majority of people who submit to BS keep the people who can't tolerate it from doing anything about it.
What b.s.? Be specific. You won't get any argument from me that there's a lot of 'b.s.' in public education today. The question is, what is 'b.s.', how much of it do we have, and how did it get there?

Old 05-12-2013, 01:07 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,338,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

That's the real problem I have with this whole thing. For all I know, the student might actually have some legitimate grievances.

But first of all, we don't know that for fact. And second of all, I think making the teacher, who's probably just implementing policy and procedures she has no control over, is wildly unfair. And it doesn't improve education. If anything, it just makes it a hell of a lot worse. America's falling in love with viral vids, because it's falling in love with itself. A generation of unaccountable narcissists.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What this kid did is tame compared to some I've personally experienced.
Yeah me too. I still have one that I had suspended asking me where I live.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:37 PM

3,737 posts, read 5,788,347 times
I realize that white kids in bad school districts are frequently forced into Wiggerism in order to survive. It's part fitting-in, and part Stockholm Syndrome. This kid seems to have sustained major psychological damage along the way.

But even understanding the why behind his 'personal style', I find it really hard to be sympathetic with someone whose gestures seem to be straight out of a Rap video.

So, does anyone know how many (if any) relatives 'Mrs. Phung' has managed to bring over (presumably from Viet Nam), and how many (if any) are living by consuming our tax dollars (Social Security to people who never paid into the system, Small Business Loans...)? Just wondering...

Anyway, the kid's Teach for America lingo really seems a tad bizarre. At least he seems to be in a quiet classroom where the students are not in physical danger. That would be considered a miracle in a lot of American schools, today.

However, if there is insufficient time between 'the handing-out of the packets' and testing on the contents of 'the packets', then he has a legitimate beef. And obviously, if the "teacher" cannot be bothered to actually go over the course material in class, then something is really, really wrong.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I realize that white kids in bad school districts are frequently forced into Wiggerism in order to survive. It's part fitting-in, and part Stockholm Syndrome. This kid seems to have sustained major psychological damage along the way.

But even understanding the why behind his 'personal style', I find it really hard to be sympathetic with someone whose gestures seem to be straight out of a Rap video.

So, does anyone know how many (if any) relatives 'Mrs. Phung' has managed to bring over (presumably from Viet Nam), and how many (if any) are living by consuming our tax dollars (Social Security to people who never paid into the system, Small Business Loans...)? Just wondering...

Anyway, the kid's Teach for America lingo really seems a tad bizarre. At least he seems to be in a quiet classroom where the students are not in physical danger. That would be considered a miracle in a lot of American schools, today.

However, if there is insufficient time between 'the handing-out of the packets' and testing on the contents of 'the packets', then he has a legitimate beef. And obviously, if the "teacher" cannot be bothered to actually go over the course material in class, then something is really, really wrong.
35% Hispanic, 32% White, 29% Black for Duncanville TX.
Looks pretty diverse to me.

Duncanville, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-12-2013, 02:36 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,591,995 times
Yes, it was only a 90 second clip....but you can just hear the utter apathy in the "teacher's" voice. She's just there to collect her cheque. She's got that beaten down tone that only comes with waking up every morning and crossing an X on the "days left till my pension" calendar. You don't need any more context than what's provided to divine that. The kid started laying his tirade on a little thick at some points, but the gist of what he was saying rings pretty true. Yet another example of why my kids will *never* attend public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education