Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:18 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times

Advertisements

Students study spelling lists Monday through Thursday, receive 100% on the test on Friday, then proceed to misspell the words in the context of their writing on Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 10:27 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
But word study is NOT phonetic spelling. It is just explicitly teaching the spelling patterns to groups of children at a certain spelling level, instead of teaching...
My post was not referring to word study. It was in response to the OP's child's former principal stating that the students didn't need to learn how to spell; they could just use use spell check.

Because the students who were taught CA standards in the early to mid 1990s were instructed to learn to write phonetically without having their spelling corrected, they went on to middle school writing the same way. Later the state realized the mistake in this type of instruction.

During the past decade, our state has implemented a high school exit exam. If the students cannot pass the writing portion of the CAHSEE, they do not receive a high school diploma, despite the fact that they may have passed all their English courses. I would imagine that this is true in other states as well.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:34 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Students study spelling lists Monday through Thursday, receive 100% on the test on Friday, then proceed to misspell the words in the context of their writing on Monday.
So why bother to learn anything since we forget most of what we learn?

On the other hand, we tend to remember things that are regularly reinforced, reviewed or used on a ongoing basis. I haven't forgotten any of the multiplication tables I learned in 3rd grade, which was 50 years ago. I don't remember anything from college calculus.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:39 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
You know, that's one word I ALWAYS mix up. How do you remember which one to use? I apologize for any cringing that induced!
Associate then with when:

When did I do it?

I did it then.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:48 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Another cushion for kids going through school, even many private schools, is the use of a calculator for math classes. My child went to a very good private school and they were encouraged to use a calculator in the math classes. I tried to explain that calculators won't be available during college math tests - to no avail.

Fast-forward. My child is now attending a top-notch university and, guess what, no calculators in math class. However, my child's friends going to in-state universities are still using their calculators in math class.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:57 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momzuki View Post
Let me rephrase what I am hearing you say:
1. "You are all dinosaurs, you people who can spell and think people should be able to spell." (appeal to novelty, appeal to ridicule)
2. "I do not value spelling or handwriting and I do not use them, therefore in the future spelling and handwriting will be obsolete. I will use a poorly worded catch phrase in place of actual evidence of my assertion" (biased sample, appeal to emotion, authority)
3. "People with medical degrees, who speak English as a second language, can get away with poor spelling and grammar. Therefore, spelling is unimportant." (biased sample, appeal to common practice)
4. "My boss is rich, and gets away with poor communication skills. Therefore, communication skills are unimportant." (biased sample, appeal to common practice)
5. "My ideas are that we should forget about all the ways of education that have proven effective in the past, and we should embrace all of the recent ideas that have repeatedly proven themselves ineffective. I do not have evidence to back up my ideas, so if someone disagrees with me I will call them a dinosaur." (appeal to novelty, appeal to ridicule)

I do not want to make fun of you or be cruel. I have done my best to truly clarify the arguments you presented. There are more problems, but I stopped at the most basic. It is very difficult to understand where one's own education is lacking. The saying is, "You don't know what you don't know." Your assertions and conclusions are riddled with logical fallacies, as I have noted. Experiences like this are why I view poor spelling as a clearly identifiable symptom of an inadequate education.

I was also publicly educated, but as an adult I realized at least some of what my education lacked, and I have attempted to remedy my educational deficiencies.

This is what the entire issue boils down to for me at this point: Other people may accept an inferior education. I will not accept an inferior education for my children. If others want help obtaining a better education, I will help.
Essentially because of an insight (and an arguably correct one at that) by a single administrator, you yanked your kids out of school.

This is your choice, but the real risk of social retardation your kids may suffer (and in increasingly collaborative STEM fields/workspaces this could be a real problem) as a result of your pettiness over an issue that increasingly matters less and less does deserve some ridicule.

Also, you're teaching your kids when they encounter something they disagree with to just quit.

That will work wonders in the real world.

If your basement isn't finished, you may want to get on that now. The results of your helicopter parenting will never need to leave home to roost.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Another cushion for kids going through school, even many private schools, is the use of a calculator for math classes. My child went to a very good private school and they were encouraged to use a calculator in the math classes. I tried to explain that calculators won't be available during college math tests - to no avail.

Fast-forward. My child is now attending a top-notch university and, guess what, no calculators in math class. However, my child's friends going to in-state universities are still using their calculators in math class.
Calculators are dependent on the class. OF COURSE calculators are not only allow but REQUIRED in some settings. Knowing the formula to use is still up to you but longhand math work just for the sake of longhand math work doesn't offer much benefit except to use up a bunch of time. 2+2=4 whether you write it out or type it in. Plus calculators prevent simple human errors that really show nothing except you are human and maybe have bad handwriting. This is especially true at higher levels of math and sciences. Why do you think computers exist???

Your post seems to be trying to pit a "top notch" (your words) university against an "in state" (again, your words) university as if there is a contest and your kid won because his math class doesn't use calculators. But your arguments toward that don't make much sense since and for all I know he's taking basic arithmetic where teaching the formula is still the focus, not applying it.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:21 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why do you think computers exist???
Certainly NOT to take the place of learning the basics!

If no one learned the basics, the there would be no computer programmers. If you can't spell, you'd make an awful programmer of anything....and especially at creating a spell-check.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-06-2013, 02:32 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Calculators are dependent on the class. OF COURSE calculators are not only allow but REQUIRED in some settings. Knowing the formula to use is still up to you but longhand math work just for the sake of longhand math work doesn't offer much benefit except to use up a bunch of time. 2+2=4 whether you write it out or type it in. Plus calculators prevent simple human errors that really show nothing except you are human and maybe have bad handwriting. This is especially true at higher levels of math and sciences. Why do you think computers exist???

Your post seems to be trying to pit a "top notch" (your words) university against an "in state" (again, your words) university as if there is a contest and your kid won because his math class doesn't use calculators. But your arguments toward that don't make much sense since and for all I know he's taking basic arithmetic where teaching the formula is still the focus, not applying it.
You are aware they teach Trigonometry, Algebra, and Calculus in schools?

If you rely on a graphing calculator to solve complex problems without knowledge of the underlying theory you are in a deep trough when it comes to taking math tests without use of such.

And computers certainly don't exist as a substitute for knowledge (my words ).

Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:

Quote:
You are aware they teach Trigonometry, Algebra, and Calculus in schools?

If you rely on a graphing calculator to solve complex problems without knowledge of the underlying theory you are in a deep trough when it comes to taking math tests without use of such.

And computers certainly don't exist as a substitute for knowledge (my words ).
I have to agree with Ceece here. There are some math applications for which a calculator of some kind is a must! Remember, before calculators there were slide rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education