Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times

Advertisements

In quite a few public schools teachers don't show up for snow days because they have to make them up, either through extra minutes tacked on a daily basis or actual days added to the calendar. If the charter school adds extra instructional days to the calendar, chances are they are demanding that the teachers work for free at some point by requiring them to report on snow days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
In quite a few public schools teachers don't show up for snow days because they have to make them up, either through extra minutes tacked on a daily basis or actual days added to the calendar. If the charter school adds extra instructional days to the calendar, chances are they are demanding that the teachers work for free at some point by requiring them to report on snow days.
This is what I believe as well. In my district, we have a certain amount of days "built in" to the calendar for snow/extreme cold. If the students have a 2 hour delay, so does staff, except for the building manager because she has to clear the sidewalks. If the students are called off, so is staff.

In your charter school example, there should be some sort of contract which states exactly how many contract days the teachers have to work. It would be up to the staff to enforce the contract if the school then requires those teachers to go over the number of contracted contact days.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
We are east of Seattle, and have already had one snow day this year, the Friday before Christmas with only about 4". Most of the time we have a one hour or two hour delay, and staff have to report at the usual time. The delay is more for the buses to chain up and get commuters out of the way. If it's over 2" and/or threatens to continue they will close for the day but even teachers stay home. The missed days are made up at the end of the school year. We hae had between 0 and 5 snow days to make up since my wife has worked at this school the last 12 years.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,147 times
Our schools are closed and no one reports. We have designated make-up days on the calendar. We were closed on Tuesday 1/7, so we will be making it up on Monday 1/20; any further snow days would be made up on President's Day, and then Easter vacation (I hope not).

Old 01-11-2014, 08:05 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Our schools are closed and no one reports. We have designated make-up days on the calendar. We were closed on Tuesday 1/7, so we will be making it up on Monday 1/20; any further snow days would be made up on President's Day, and then Easter vacation (I hope not).
I would think the Easter part would be tough. A lot of staff will have trips planned, won't they?

We get three days to use before we have to make any up. We have used three to this point. If we miss a 4th day before Februaray 17, it gets made up then. The fifth gets made up on April 7. The sixth doesn't get made up. The seventh day on June 23, and the eighth no make up is required. The ninth day would be made up on June 24.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I would think the Easter part would be tough. A lot of staff will have trips planned, won't they?
They are listed on the calendar as potential makeup days and it is made very, very clear that you make plans for those days of you own peril. In the last district I was in you could not use personal days on those days either.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:02 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,041 times
Staff in our district do not have to report on bad weather days because there are scheduled make-up days built into the calendar from the beginning of the year. Requiring them to come in would mean working an extra day, which the school district would then have to come up with the budget to pay for. Additionally, many school districts have tried to minimize the number of days the building has to be heated/cooled unnecessarily.

This year because of the way the calendar fell, many districts already had an in-service day scheduled for Monday when so much of the nation experienced extreme cold. If it wasn't a transportation issue getting to school, or a safety issue, having staff still report was reasonable. When kids are asked not to report, it can be for a variety of reasons... the danger of waiting at the bus stop if the buses may not get through, snow on the roads, extreme temperatures... some which may affect staff and others that may not. In some instances where the weather is borderline, our city has seen certain districts close school for the day, but other districts that have a large percentage of low-income students still have class. The reason? If those kids don't come to school, they don't get the school-provided breakfast and lunch that for some of them may be the only good meals of the day.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:33 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
You make a point many people don't realize in your last sentence. With so many kids on FARM, closing, and even building the school calendar decisions, are driven to some extent on when do kids get fed.

We don't get much snow here (icy days are random) but when we do get a storm it will be a massive one very often.

My system has been off 3 or 4 days, brought us in late and home early for 1 day, and then we've been off for 3 or 4 more days several times over the years. I asked about this once and the response, from one of the people who had input into opening/closing decisions, was the meals program and how long some kids had gone since their last meal.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:41 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They are listed on the calendar as potential makeup days and it is made very, very clear that you make plans for those days of you own peril. In the last district I was in you could not use personal days on those days either.
Not cool.
How long is the Easter break?

Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Not cool.
How long is the Easter break?
One week. It was weird, during the time while I was there we either lost them all or kept them all. Our weather was totally unpredictable. One year we were out for over a week because of lost electricity from January tornados.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education