Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2023, 11:46 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
America was built by people who barely knew the language amd came in with low skills. We trained them and they worked jobs. They took English classes or did the best they could learning it on their own. I don't understand why we don't embrace this the way we used to. Massive human resources going to waste.
Take a look around some time. We don't have much use for coal miners or gandy dancers anymore. Those are the jobs "we" trained illiterate immigrants on the job (not in trade school) to do in the 1800's. The days when peasants were interchangeable between countries are long gone, and today's crop of migrants was already automated out of a job decades ago.

We need workers who can read and do math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 12:29 PM

28,680 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The days when peasants were interchangeable between countries are long gone, and today's crop of migrants was already automated out of a job decades ago.
That's not what I see down here in Texas.
[/quote]

Old 06-16-2023, 01:20 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's not what I see down here in Texas.
We're getting a little off the topic of trade schools. Or are you saying there are plenty of zero-skill jobs in Texas that require neither college nor trade school?

Old 06-16-2023, 03:25 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
Take a look around some time. We don't have much use for coal miners or gandy dancers anymore. Those are the jobs "we" trained illiterate immigrants on the job (not in trade school) to do in the 1800's. The days when peasants were interchangeable between countries are long gone, and today's crop of migrants was already automated out of a job decades ago.

We need workers who can read and do math.
We have an enormous shortage of service workers and all kinds of grunt work for various businesses who are crying they have no help. They could do some of that.

Old 06-16-2023, 04:11 PM

984 posts, read 546,534 times
I thnk the trades are promoted in some areas in high school. My cousin's grandson took classes after school at the community college and got his welders certificate the same year he graduated high school. My grandson also got his welders certificate but waited until he graduated high school to go to a 9 month program. My grandson lives in Arizona and has more opportunities than my cousin's grandson, who has joined his father's business selling cars. He is more artistic and does do some art projects with his welding.

Old 06-16-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
We're getting a little off the topic of trade schools. Or are you saying there are plenty of zero-skill jobs in Texas that require neither college nor trade school?
I'm saying that immigrants down here--specifically Mexican and South American immigrants--find plenty of construction jobs in Texas without college or trade school or knowing the language. I was just reminded of that this week; the city was ripping up my street and it took me some time to find an English-speaker among the workers to determine if they were going to block my driveway that day or at all.

Judging by the workers driving the machines, those are jobs with progression. A nephew of mine with years of welding experience came down from Illinois and found himself shut out. And, yes, these are jobs that some community colleges actually offer training in, such as "Mason's Assistant."

But this isn't unique. In the first couple of decades of this century, I worked for a Fortune 50 insurance company headquartered in Illinois. Most of that time, the contractor that supplied food and janitorial services to that company employed mostly white and black workers for those services.

One year the company demanded a cheaper contract. On a Monday--on a Monday--all the workers suddenly became Hispanic (I say "Hispanic" because they may not have been Mexican).

Old 06-16-2023, 04:22 PM

Quote:
We have an enormous shortage of service workers and all kinds of grunt work for various businesses who are crying they have no help. They could do some of that.
They do.

Old 06-16-2023, 05:38 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Who do you think cleans most of the hotel rooms in the US?

Old 06-21-2023, 09:05 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,713,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm saying that immigrants down here--specifically Mexican and South American immigrants--find plenty of construction jobs in Texas without college or trade school or knowing the language. I was just reminded of that this week; the city was ripping up my street and it took me some time to find an English-speaker among the workers to determine if they were going to block my driveway that day or at all.

Judging by the workers driving the machines, those are jobs with progression. A nephew of mine with years of welding experience came down from Illinois and found himself shut out. And, yes, these are jobs that some community colleges actually offer training in, such as "Mason's Assistant."

But this isn't unique. In the first couple of decades of this century, I worked for a Fortune 50 insurance company headquartered in Illinois. Most of that time, the contractor that supplied food and janitorial services to that company employed mostly white and black workers for those services.

One year the company demanded a cheaper contract. On a Monday--on a Monday--all the workers suddenly became Hispanic (I say "Hispanic" because they may not have been Mexican).

A "construction worker" is not the same as a "carpenter". Anyone can do construction work. Most of it is manual labor supervised by more experienced workers.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
A "construction worker" is not the same as a "carpenter". Anyone can do construction work. Most of it is manual labor supervised by more experienced workers.
not really....

Someone who does not want to get dirty (today's employees) cannot do construction work.
I am not a carpenter, but I've built a lot of projects (homes, commercial buildings, bridges...)

My grandfather was a carpenter, FIL a stone mason, father a welder.
They worked construction, but were not deemed 'construction workers'

Working 'the trades' is a pretty broad brush. One neighbor was a longshoreman, and other a locomotive engineer, several pilots (Barge, ship, and airplane).

me... Jack-of-all-trades (a grunt). Today rebuilding a diesel engine, tomorrow installing a roof. Last month building a stone stairway in Europe

Glad I grew up as a farm kid, or I might not know how to do this stuff. My engineering degree was just fluff. It didn't teach me to do stuff, just gave me the authority to SIGN off on the stuff I did. (As if anyone cares except officials who don't know how to DO stuff). But they are important, if I chose to build a submersible and hire it out to transport the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education