Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2024, 03:42 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Considering what school systems have gone through with sex ed...now some of you want schools to teach "life"?

Are you nuts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
You expect the public school system to teach money management to its students?

The public school system does not teach basic math proficiency to its students.

"The national average math proficiency is 38% (2024).
The state with highest math proficiency is Virgin Islands, with an 85% average math proficiency.
The state with lowest math proficiency is Maryland, with an 19% average math proficiency."

https://www.publicschoolreview.com/a.../national-data

There was a precipitous drop due to the pandemic, but pre-pandemic results were still terrible.

Before we assign the schools with additional tasks, maybe basic reading, writing, and arithmetic should be conquered.
So let's see. During the dreaded NCLB years those test scores improved significantly, and then when you all got your way to drop NCLB the test scores began dropping again. Great job, America!

Old 02-06-2024, 03:58 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So let's see. During the dreaded NCLB years those test scores improved significantly, and then when you all got your way to drop NCLB the test scores began dropping again. Great job, America!
Actually, that 38% proficient is probably what it's always been. We really don't know because scores weren't tracked very closely until NCLB.

If you were in College Prep then everybody was pretty much smart and proficient in most subjects. When kids were hard tracked the only time they came into contact, maybe, with lower performing students was in PE, Art and maybe Band. General Music classes kept the track, as did really the two I mentioned, because of scheduling. Band/Choir would be the outliers.

Old 02-06-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually, that 38% proficient is probably what it's always been. We really don't know because scores weren't tracked very closely until NCLB.

If you were in College Prep then everybody was pretty much smart and proficient in most subjects. When kids were hard tracked the only time they came into contact, maybe, with lower performing students was in PE, Art and maybe Band. General Music classes kept the track, as did really the two I mentioned, because of scheduling. Band/Choir would be the outliers.
I'm just going by the graph presented.

Old 02-06-2024, 04:59 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
The school where I teach has shop and all kinds of trade certification courses. We offer multiple financial literacy courses as electives and all students are required to take Economics which includes financial literacy. There are FAR more mental health resources than I had in school. I don't know what other schools do, education is local.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:50 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
I'm just going by the graph presented.
You know as well as I do that there's no way on God's green Earth that DC has 55% proficiency.

Old 02-06-2024, 06:25 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Considering what school systems have gone through with sex ed...now some of you want schools to teach "life"?

Are you nuts?
A cradle to grave society dependent on the government.

Old 02-06-2024, 06:40 PM

2,048 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
A cradle to grave society dependent on the government.
I hear what you're saying and do concur, however...I sure wish there was a "Life Skills" course when I was in high school, covering things like banking and managing finances, job hunting/resume writing, doing taxes, and (now) how to avoid scams/fraud in everyday life. Seeing as the government imposes on and controls much of our lives, why shouldn't there be basic training for adulthood provided in public schools? If it was elective I probably would have signed up for it. Yes, effective parents will teach and guide their children into adulthood, offering advice and support. Some of us had ineffective parents who showed us the door on our 18th birthdays, to be thrown in with the wolves.

A few years back a university made the news for offering an "Adulting" class and was widely mocked. I'd rather that there was a class offered rather than spawning a bunch of clueless adults...and there are plenty.

Old 02-06-2024, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I hear what you're saying and do concur, however...I sure wish there was a "Life Skills" course when I was in high school, covering things like banking and managing finances, job hunting/resume writing, doing taxes, and (now) how to avoid scams/fraud in everyday life. Seeing as the government imposes on and controls much of our lives, why shouldn't there be basic training for adulthood provided in public schools? If it was elective I probably would have signed up for it. Yes, effective parents will teach and guide their children into adulthood, offering advice and support. Some of us had ineffective parents who showed us the door on our 18th birthdays, to be thrown in with the wolves.

A few years back a university made the news for offering an "Adulting" class and was widely mocked. I'd rather that there was a class offered rather than spawning a bunch of clueless adults...and there are plenty.
The OP asked about teaching "life". I'm not even sure what that means.

Limited skills like you're talking about...sure.

Old 02-06-2024, 07:05 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Teaching "Life" is supposed to be the parent's responsibility. Except most parents these days can't seem to figure things out for themselves. I'm sure there are exceptions but what I see on the news are mostly failures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education