Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 05:22 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
I'm just asking the important questions.

He could live to be 100, but you avoided my question about the pressure and stress on a guy close to 80....with the rigorous schedule demands on the POTUSA?

Curious emily...how old are you?
I didn't avoid your question.. I think Ron Paul could handle it physically and emotionally as well as or more gracefully than the current opponents could.

I'm sure I'm older than you. I graduated from college well before everyone had a computer to give you an idea. I actually had to read books and type term papers with a typewriter.They didn't even have computers in the library. The XT and AT PCs in DOS came out several years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 06:49 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
you are supposed to vote for the best candidate, even though people mostly wind up just voting for the "least bad" candidate.

who can tell the future?

did anyone expect the vibrant john kennedy to get mowed down in his prime?

you can only vote for the best leader you can find after you have done your research, and let the chips fall where they will.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:27 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
I'm just asking the important questions.

He could live to be 100, but you avoided my question about the pressure and stress on a guy close to 80....with the rigorous schedule demands on the POTUSA?

Curious emily...how old are you?
I am 66, well educated, healthy and active. Most of my friends are in their 60s/early 70s. NONE of us thinks a person in their 70s has the mental/physical stamina or agility to handle the 24/7 job of POTUS.

Ron Paul looks and sounds like an old man - which is exactly what he is.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I am 66, well educated, healthy and active. Most of my friends are in their 60s/early 70s. NONE of us thinks a person in their 70s has the mental/physical stamina or agility to handle the 24/7 job of POTUS.

Ron Paul looks and sounds like an old man - which is exactly what he is.
and I don't always agree with you, but I do in this case. This is just something his supporters are not going to accept. I will even say, he is young for his age, but he still looks and sounds old and the contant travel and 24/7 would be hard for anyone, especially someone pushing 80. Like you, I am old enough to realize that. BTW, I look and act younger than my age, but I know my limitations. Being a congressman is very different from being the POTUS>

Old 08-28-2011, 07:37 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I didn't avoid your question.. I think Ron Paul could handle it physically and emotionally as well as or more gracefully than the current opponents could.

I'm sure I'm older than you. I graduated from college well before everyone had a computer to give you an idea. I actually had to read books and type term papers with a typewriter.They didn't even have computers in the library. The XT and AT PCs in DOS came out several years later.
You actually project quite 'young,' emily. I thought you between 40 and 65. More toward 40...

You work harder than most 40 year olds I know!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:46 PM

838 posts, read 922,375 times
Quote:
Ron Paul...were he to amazingly become president of the USA come 2013.....would be 77 years old. He would be over 81 years old....if he finished his first term in office.

The tasking, trying job of POTUSA has aged young men into old men...before they finish there elected job of president. It's a fair question....would Paul be able to endure all the NEW stress of the giagantic demands on a POTUSA....which young men find so difficult to endure...as a US president?
This is so dumb. No one should take Ron Paul for a fool, he is a long time medical doctor who knows his health and takes good care of himself. If anyone watches him they can see he takes in stride all the many things thrown at him by media and others (for 30 years!), he doesn't get defensive, he's way far above all the immaturity and immense nonsense. In Washington for 30 years in the midst of the muck, that says a lot, since Washington can cause much stress but he does not let it get to him, it's water off a duck's back. He's a very mature intelligent man who does the right thing.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
This is so dumb. No one should take Ron Paul for a fool, he is a long time medical doctor who knows his health and takes good care of himself. If anyone watches him they should know he takes all the many things thrown at him by media and others in stride (for many years), he doesn't get defensive, he's way above all the immaturity and immense nonsense. He has been in Washington 30 years, that says a lot, Washington can cause much stress but he does not let it get to him, he is a mature intelligent man!

No, it's not dumb. The plain point is, Paul has not experienced the enormous stress of being President. Being a congressman in Washington does not anywhere equal the overwhelming pressures which ''come at you'' daily....in the responsibility of the job of so-called ''leader of the Free world.''

Old 08-28-2011, 08:07 PM

838 posts, read 922,375 times
Quote:
No, it's not dumb. The plain point is, Paul has not experienced the enormous stress of being President. Being a congressman in Washington does not anywhere equal the overwhelming pressures which ''come at you'' daily....in the responsibility of the job of so-called ''leader of the Free world.''
In my opinion you are as wrong as the day is long about stress. Some can handle much stress just great and others can handle zero slight stress. It's in the person. Ron Paul knows just what the President deals with and what he would be handling on a daily basis for 30 long years! As far as stress of being President, it's the younger ones or those newer to Washington that are in question on whether or not they can deal with stresses. Most of the old timers in Washington are tough as nails, certainly Paul is a good example of this. People in general usually get tougher as they get older.

Last edited by clsicmovies; 08-28-2011 at 08:19 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 08:17 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I don't always agree with you, but I do in this case. This is just something his supporters are not going to accept. I will even say, he is young for his age, but he still looks and sounds old and the contant travel and 24/7 would be hard for anyone, especially someone pushing 80. Like you, I am old enough to realize that. BTW, I look and act younger than my age, but I know my limitations. Being a congressman is very different from being the POTUS>
Not if you handle it the way Obama has. Obama has had more vacation days than most Americans and a more leisurely lifestyle than any President I can remember. He doesn't appear to do much at all except for starting more wars lately! Athough he could be up to no good behind the scenes. The only thing that has probably taken its toll on Obama is the well deserved criticism which he can't take because he is so thin skinned.

Meanwhile Congress, when they are in session, works weekends and nights sweating over certain pieces of legislation .

Old 08-28-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
In my opinion you are as wrong as the day is long about stress. Some can handle much stress just great and others can handle zero slight stress. It's in the person. Ron Paul knows just what the President deals with and what he would be handling on a daily basis for 30 long years!
You are wrong...no one can...or does KNOW the pressure that comes with that job. Ask Obama....ask Bush...ask Clinton....they all acknowledge the burdens....and responsibility that come with the job are beyond understanding.....unless one has experienced them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections