Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the debate tonight?
Romney 13 20.31%
Perry 10 15.63%
Bachmann 2 3.13%
Ron Paul 29 45.31%
Santorum 0 0%
Other [pls specify] 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Anything Juan Williams has to say...haven't heard since
he left PBS
The one thing Perry said that made me really smile is
when he said he felt like a Piñata
I thought both he and Romney had a couple of classic lines. They must have better writers than some of the others.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 09:51 AM

28,103 posts, read 29,992,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
The rest made themselves looks like circus freaks
Could you be more specific in relating this remark to Huntsman? How did he come across as a circus freak?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,889,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i think that debate helped romney and hurt perry, but it solidified paul as a very solid serious candidate, even when he was asked yet more jackass hypothetical questions (while ignoring foreign policy and federal reserve questions).
I love what one pundit said. Something to the effect of:

"Ron Paul, as usual, said what every one of us was actually thinking. Except for those few times when he said what only Ron Paul was thinking."

He had some good lines but he probably should have kept the "Ever think the border fence is to keep us in?" lines to himself...

Old 09-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
The problem isn't the number of people debating, rather its the media trying to chose who the nominee is. If they removed the bias and gave equal (and sufficient) time than we would be able to get a fair assessment of every candidate.
No, 8 is too many at this point. No one is going to watch if you give everyone equal time... that would be like a 4 hour debate. They should have like 4 people next time: Perry, Paul, Romney and either Gingrich or Bachmann.

Perhaps they can do a 2nd tier debate for the 5 lowest in the polls. The winner of that debate can go to the 1st tier debate with the top 3 in the polls.

Eventually it will get down to 2-3 remaining... but even for an early debate, eight is just too many participants.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I love what one pundit said. Something to the effect of:

"Ron Paul, as usual, said what every one of us was actually thinking.... he probably should have kept the "Ever think the border fence is to keep us in?" lines to himself...
I disagree -

One can't realize the ramification of "a fence" and
what it actually means, unless you realize, what... to those being free, it really means

Even Ronald Reagan knew that, or at least... the writer who
wrote it did....

Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 AM

242 posts, read 235,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
LOL, Ron Paul didn't win anything last night. He came off as the fringe candidate that he always was and will continue to be. Don't build a fence because they want to trap Americans? The guy was really out there last night. And I still don't understand his attacks on Perry, unless it is just some petty thing against his home governor.

Romney was the winner last night. Not because of necessarily 'soundbites' but because he came across very strongly in his statements and he had logical solutions and positions against silly 'Ponzi scheme' rhetoric and '$2/gal gas' silliness. Newt was an attack dog of sorts, but he didn't help his case. Neither did Cain, Santorum, or Huntsman.

I would argue Perry was the biggest loser last night. As the frontrunner, he had to come out strong and articulate. He did neither. He stumbled and fumbled on even 'softball' questions (for him) like climate change. In a debate between Obama and Perry, Obama would CRUSH him. Plain and simple.

i totaly agree with your analysis.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I disagree -

One can't realize the ramification of "a fence" and
what it actually means, unless you realize, what... to those being free, it really means
Yeah, that's exactly that sort of stuff he probably should skip when he's debating. Not that it isn't a good philosophical paradox to explore.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:10 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Yeah, that's exactly that sort of stuff he probably should skip when he's debating. Not that it isn't a good philosophical paradox to explore.
It's not just a philosophical paradox to explore - if we
are going to spend tax dollars to build one - it's fiscal...$$$$

I'll add environmental: (being the bird lover I am)

Rio Grande Valley Wildlife - Impact of the Border Fence - YouTube

Old 09-08-2011, 11:18 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,736,249 times
Lightbulb Republican Debate's Craziest Moments

Here's a 47 second clip of the Republican debate's craziest moments.

The GOP Debate's Craziest Moments.mov - YouTube

Old 09-08-2011, 11:21 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,885,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i think that debate helped romney and hurt perry, but it solidified paul as a very solid serious candidate, even when he was asked yet more jackass hypothetical questions (while ignoring foreign policy and federal reserve questions).
agreed. Mitt made a very good point about the reasons for Texas being attractive to business none of which Perry had a hand in.
Of course I heard Ron Paul say those very same things a bit ago when Perry was taking credit for Texas boosting jobs. The more we get into the debates Ron Pauls talking points are getting picked up by the other candidates.
Our biggest problem is the Federal Reserve which still doesn't get enough coverage imo but at least it's being talked about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections