Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 04:42 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Most people today could live like in 1850 with only one income too, we choose not too because we want things like air conditioning and indoor plumbing.

lol

No, they didn't. You want to eat an apple in January you go to the store and buy an apple, for them January fruits and veggies meant eating only canned goods because it wasn't the growing season. People in Omaha can buy fresh fish from the ocean. Their fruits and veggies were far smaller and riddled with pests. There is absolutely no comparison of food availability and quality, despite what your fear mongering tainted food websites tell you.
then tell me why i can't find a good tomato anywhere.

i sure miss them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
It is simply the most unbelievable case of confirmation bias I've ever seen. She has decided that creating a central banking system made life miserable so in her mind that is how history must be cast. Everyone was happy and prosperous with no central bank, everything sucked afterwards.
and now the prosperous are the central bankers.

like this:
Fed Lies Unravel ... Bank Board Gave US$ 4 Trillion in Loans to Its Own Institutions

A report just released by the US Government Accountability Office explains how the Federal Reserve divvied up more than $4 trillion in low-interest loans after the fiscal crisis of 2008, and the news shouldn't be all that surprising. When the Federal Reserve looked towards bailing out some of the biggest banks in the country, more than one dozen of the financial institutions that benefited from the Fed's Hail Mary were members of the central bank's own board, reports the GAO. At least 18 current and former directors of the Fed's regional branches saw to it that their own banks were awarded loans with often next-to-no interest by the country's central bank during the height of the financial crisis that crippled the American economy and spurred rampant unemployment and home foreclosures for those unable to receive assistance. – RT

They gave their own banks money. They put their own banks first. This is not hard to grasp.

It's cronyism. It's an abuse of power. It's criminal.

and, interestingly, it isn't prosecuted.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:53 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
I don't like to generalize. Quality of life is very specific to individuals. However, true inflation, has put many people on the street. During the depression this was also bad. However, the guy living in the woods behind the Safeway I would argue is not better off than many from the early 1900s.

When you could go take care of yourself, being self-sufficient, however crudely, imo you were far better off than many today. Simply because most today ARE NOT self-sufficient due to our current models and anything that could occur to reveal this to specific individuals shows how badly one can suffer in a very short term.

The comment made earlier about farming is significant. Because farming is self-sufficient. Anyone nowadays trying to become self-sufficient will quickly find out how much harder this is to do because of intrusive "Big Brother". Self-sufficiency is key because it gives an individual much more control. Without this control you are far more at the mercy of system changes that occur.
At least self-sufficiency back then even in FDR days and "the great depression" (which is beginning to look like a walk in the park compared to what we have to deal with) was LEGAL. How may people have not only had to tear out their vegetable gardens but lost their homes because they tried to be self-sufficient today in some parts of the country. There is NO COMPARISON.

Back then the President obeyed, to a FAR GREATER DEGREE, the CONSTITUTION. Our President doesn't even recognize it and instead follows orders of the U.N. above Congress. If he doesn't like what is done in the legislative body he just dashes off an executive order to trample all over our rights and spend MORE of our money we don't have. The whole thing is I N S A N E!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:06 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Why our presidents in modern times have done us NO FAVORS and it is long past time for Ron Paul or someone like him to fill the role.

Why we aren't the benevolent country we've been told we are.

Be nice to America. Or we'll bring democracy to your country! - YouTube!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:10 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

Back then the President obeyed, to a FAR GREATER DEGREE, the CONSTITUTION.
Oh, you mean like when Abraham Lincoln suspended The Writ of Habeas Corpus? That was unconstitutional, you know.

Or ... The Teapot Dome scandal of President Warren G. Harding? The result was the first time a cabinet member of a US president - Mr. Fall - was taken to jail.

Or ... The Watergate Scandal - remember the dirty tricks, illegal wiretapping, criminal activities against the opposing political part? The first time a US president - Richard M. Nixon, facing impeachment, resigned office in disgrace.

I think you need to brush up on your history, Emily.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I'm not talking about CONVENIENCE like you just described. I'm talking about QUALITY as in NUTRIENTS and SAFETY and FLAVOR. I'm talking about eating fresh whole foods that have not been picked weeks ago and traveled thousands of miles after being sprayed and nuked and had their genetic make-up changed before it appears in the store. The down grade in quality and safety is hardly worth the trade-off for convenience sake.

Give me 25% fewer choices and a 100% guarantee that it WHOLESOME and safe and unadulterated NUTRIENT DENSE and picked within the last 3 days ANY DAY over 25% more variety for food that will do more harm than good if you consume it ---- ANY DAY.
"Wholesome" - you mean like the "slop milk" of the 1800's?

"...As distillery dairies became common in the early 1800s, many deaths from diseases such as infant diarrhea, scarlet fever, typhoid, undulant fever, and human tuberculosis were caused by contaminated milk. Infant mortality (often due to diarrhea and tuberculosis) rose sharply, accounting for nearly half of all deaths in New York City in 1839. Reformers blamed the slop milk industry and some began to call for pasteurization, which kills pathogens such as tuberculosis that could be carried in contaminated milk...."

How Raw Milk Got a Bad Rap by Nina Planck

Now, you can argue 'till the cows come home about whether or nor pasteurization is a good thing or not - BUT there were REASONS it was made standard procedure - and THOSE reasons had a LOT to do with the VERY POOR quality of milk in the 1800's for many city folks - milk that KILLED people.
So much for "healthy" food.

'...The quality of “slop milk”, as it was known, was so poor it could not even be made into butter or cheese. Some unscrupulous distillery dairy owners added burned sugar, molasses, chalk, starch, or flour to give body to the thin milk, while others diluted it with water to make more money. Slop milk was inferior because animal nutrition was poor; cows need grass and hay, not warm whiskey mash, which was too acidic for the ruminant belly. Cows on fresh grass produce more cream, a measure of milk quality.”

Conditions were un-hygenic, too. In one contemporary account cited in the Complete Dairy Food Cookbook, distillery cows “soon became diseased; their gums ulcerate, their teeth drop out, and their breath becomes fetid.” Cartoons of distillery dairies show morose cows with open sores on their flanks standing or lying in muck in cramped stables. Bovine tuberculosis and brucellosis were common, and cow mortality was high. The people milking the cows were often unsanitary and unhealthy, too. Dairy workers could taint milk with tuberculosis and other diseases."...'

Agriculture Society » The Truth About Raw Milk, Part I

Not only that, but for many people there were issues with water quality and water-borne illnesses were pretty common - MUCH more so than today.

Now, in regards to general diet there ARE some areas where you have some valid points - for example in regards to chemicals in the foods (there were definitely less chemically treated foods back then - which is good). The bad news is that because there was less use of chemical pesticides there were times when food was not that plentiful and sometimes it was just plain scarce. We didn't have quite so much of problem here but just look at the Irish Potato Famine of 1845 if you think that folks in the 1800's had it so well in regards to food. The famine killed a MILLION Irish and sent another MILLION fleeing to America. Now, those folks who came to America clearly had it better than they did back in Ireland - but it was no picnic for them here either. For the most part they ended up moving to the big cities of America and living in filthy overcrowded tenement slums. It was better than starving but it was NOT a good life for most of them. It certainly wasn't a life of "dinner parties" and "plenty".

Ken

Old 08-07-2012, 10:35 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

i sure miss them.

My back yard.

I have tomatos on the vine constant from Spring to the first freeze.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:

i sure miss them.
I think most people (no matter what their politics) are in agreement that in general, store-bought produce is not NEARLY as tasty as it used to be (and certainly not as tasty as that grown at home). Agribusiness has put wayyyyyyy to much emphasis on appearance, shelf-life and other "market-friendly" aspects of produce - all at the expense of taste (and sadly, nutrition). The new varieties look prietty and last MUCH longer than the old ones - but they have almost NO flavor (and this is no where more true than in the case of tomatos - well maybe even more so with strawberries). In the case of tomatos it's not JUST that the varieties are less flavorful, but also the fact that for the most part, the "red" tomatos we buy in the stores are not even really ripe - but rather have been artificially provoked to turn red before they are actually ripe.

There IS some hope though for those seeking more flavor in fruits and vegis. In the case of apples for instance, there was such a backlash against the beautiful but tasteless "Red Delicious" variety that dominated the market for so long, that apple growers eventually responded by planting more of the much more flavorful varieties such as "Gala", "Fuji" and "Braeburn".

Ken

Old 08-08-2012, 01:17 AM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,044 times
Quote:

i sure miss them.
Or peaches. When I was a child we had to wear our napkins bib style and have an extra to wipe our chins when we ate a peach. I have no idea what the rock hard things the store sells as peaches these days really are. Have to buy peaches from roadside stands these days.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
My back yard.

I have tomatos on the vine constant from Spring to the first freeze.
that's smart.

what variety do you grow?

i bought some seeds and they are just starting to sprout, but i really don't have much of a green thumb. it would be so nice to have tomatoes that don't taste like cardboard again. we used to have a roadside stand that produced the best tomatoes that i ever had, but it turned into a gas station and that was the end of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections