Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,151,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Guess what - I disagree. Anyone who displays that degree of callousness towards family members does not *IMO* have the basic decency required of a statesman.

EPIC FAIL to you.

Of course it's a fundamental right, just as being a well-known segregationist and having a biracial child can be considered an expression of the pursuit of happiness to some people. To me, a hypocrite is a hypocrite. It's called "practice what you preach." And Newt didn't just "get divorced and remarry." There was a lot more to it than that.
You mean like Obama leaving his brother and other family members living in poverty while he lives the high life? Or is it only GOP members you are concerned about?

Getting a divorce and remarried does not make you a hypocrite, nor does Newt ever "preach" that people shouldnt do that. You continue to fail over, and over, and over..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 11:44 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,174,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
none of this has any impact on running the government.

FAIL!

It has an impact on electability. You cannot run in the party that is so big on morals an family values when you, at times, haven't had any.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:56 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,399,541 times
The big money guys have never even called Newt, much less mentioned him.

Money talks

Chris Christie back in spotlight as Perry sags - Maggie Haberman and Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com

Old 09-25-2011, 12:20 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,572,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
It has an impact on electability. You cannot run in the party that is so big on morals an family values when you, at times, haven't had any.
So you think it's moral to stick it out an unhappy marriage, than divorce and remarry someone that does make you happy? He loves women, and obviously believes in marriage. He has done it the right way. Marriages fail, that's just a fact of life. bfd

Old 09-25-2011, 12:48 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,378,130 times
Since the thread is about Gingrich and no one else, not Clinton and not Obama, I'll address the question posed as the thread title.

Gingrich never preached family values? What do you call this?
Quote:
Today we had a bipartisan service. It talked about caring about our spouses, and our children, and our families. Because if we're not prepared to model that, beyond just having them here for one day, if we're not prepared to care about our children, and we're not prepared to care about our families, then by what arrogance do we think we will transcend our behavior to care about others? That's why with Congressman [Richard] Gephardt's help, we've established a bipartisan task force on the family. We've established the principle that we're going to set schedules we stick to so families can count on times to be together, built around the school schedules, so that families can get to know each other and not just on C-Span.
Newt Gingrich on Families & Children

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
So you think it's moral to stick it out an unhappy marriage, than divorce and remarry someone that does make you happy? He loves women, and obviously believes in marriage. He has done it the right way. Marriages fail, that's just a fact of life. bfd
Oh yeah he loves women all right!
Quote:
From "Newt's a Beaut" by Mickey Porter published in the July 25, 2000 edition of the Akron Beacon Journal:

"Gingrich's most recent ex-wife says he ditched her eight months after finding out she had multiple sclerosis. Marianne Gingrich, 48, shopping a book proposal "both personal and political" about how women are treated in D.C., says the ex-speaker of the House told her on Mother's Day 1999 that he wanted a divorce, after learning she had a neurological condition that could lead to MS. In 1981, the former congressman told his other ex-wife, Jackie Battley, that he was dumping her, after she had been hospitalized with cancer. Newt, 57, will wed ex-congressional aide Callista Bisek, 34 -- with whom he had an affair while still married to Marianne -- on Aug. 18. "
http://www.capecodtoday.com/blogs/in...values?blog=89

Yup this is just the guy to be part of a task force on the family huh? Hopefully he learned something being on that task force.

But here, if you want the comparison to Obama, how about this from the public policy chief of the Southern Baptist Convention:
Quote:
Not enough religious conservatives are saying this: It's terribly important that [Obama] gives every indication of being a moral man who is demonstrably fond of his wife and children. I think that's important in a president, be it a Democrat or a Republican. That's why I said I couldn't vote for Giuliani or Gingrich. I think [Obama's] making a real difference in this country in his example as a model father and husband.
Readers Respond to Newt Gingrich's Family Values Conversion - God & Country (usnews.com)

Aside from that, you do remember that his entire campaign staff quit? Together. As in en masse. Not a good sign. If he can't keep a campaign together, how can he keep an administration or a country together?

Admit it, he's a has been and he did it to himself.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:59 PM

He may be trying too hard to make this one work.

The problem was the wife. Aides to Newt Gingrich have resigned from his presidential campaign in protest of what they felt was a takeover by Callista Gingrich, the candidate’s wife since 2000. The euphemism offered by departing staffers was they disagreed with Gingrich’s “strategy†for the campaign. Indeed, they did disagree. But it was a strategy – a part-time campaign, in effect – that Gingrich’s wife favored.
Several aides, including campaign manager Rob Johnson, met with Gingrich on Thursday morning and told him of the senior staff’s unanimous decision to quit. Gingrich later put out a statement saying he was staying in the race. The last straw for the campaign staff was Gingrich’s decision to go on a two-week cruise in the Mediterranean, from which he returned on Tuesday. His advisers urged him not to go and take so much time from a campaign that was already in trouble. But his wife wanted him to go and she won the argument.
As a result, the morale of the Gingrich staff fell sharply. And fundraising declined as well with Gingrich absent from the day-to-day media coverage of the campaign.

From what I hear, staffers were also irked by Callista's micro-management of the campaign, and her ability to impose her will at many key decision points.
guybenson
Reports: Frustration With Newt's Wife Contributed to Mass Exodus - Guy Benson

Old 09-25-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:

It doesn't matter what I think or what you think, it matters what a large percentage of voters think. However, to be blunt, I don't think having an affair with another woman while your wife is in a life threatening battle with cancer and then going to ask your wife for a divorce before she even leaves the hospital after surgery for said cancer, is 'doing it right'. Ain't nothing right about that in my opinion. Reminds me of a lot of a little sleaze bag name John Edwards. Even the Democrats dumped his butt after all of that became public and they turn their heads and look the other way whenever possible.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter what I think or what you think, it matters what a large percentage of voters think. However, to be blunt, I don't think having an affair with another woman while your wife is in a life threatening battle with cancer and then going to ask your wife for a divorce before she even leaves the hospital after surgery for said cancer, is 'doing it right'. Ain't nothing right about that in my opinion. Reminds me of a lot of a little sleaze bag name John Edwards. Even the Democrats dumped his butt after all of that became public and they turn their heads and look the other way whenever possible.
I refuse to get into the dirt as far as whether he bedded his future wives before his divorce or not. We don't know. I'll go by what I do know. He was unhappy and divorced, after he met women that rocked his world. He has supported all financially and accepted responsibility for his failings in prior marriages. As far as I know, he is and has been a good father to his children. He may be giving this wife a little too much control over his political campaign. I say may, because again, we don't know. I also will not get on the bandwagon of assuming he decided to divorce the first 2 because they were sick. I'm sure there had to be more to it than that, and will not jump to conclusions just because it makes for juicy gossip and provides fodder for the self-righteous that live to tear others down.
I hope he is happy with Callista, altho it sounds like she is trouble for his political ambitions.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:24 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,956,726 times
Quote:
Well I think that about sums it up. My question is why is he even in the race with no chance of winning. I believe his staffers figured out that he was never really serious about winning and was just doing it for publicity, because if he is as smart as some think, he would know he has no chance because he is aware that most will think of him as a scumbag.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I refuse to get into the dirt as far as whether he bedded his future wives before his divorce or not. We don't know. I'll go by what I do know. He was unhappy and divorced, after he met women that rocked his world. He has supported all financially and accepted responsibility for his failings in prior marriages. As far as I know, he is and has been a good father to his children. He may be giving this wife a little too much control over his political campaign. I say may, because again, we don't know. I also will not get on the bandwagon of assuming he decided to divorce the first 2 because they were sick. I'm sure there had to be more to it than that, and will not jump to conclusions just because it makes for juicy gossip and provides fodder for the self-righteous that live to tear others down.
I hope he is happy with Callista, altho it sounds like she is trouble for his political ambitions.

Once again, it's not about what you think or I think or whatever. He is not electable in the Republican party. Even he probably knows that on some level.

Also, on supporting his children through the years, there are on the record problems with that also. I won't bore you with the details. Once again...wayyyy too much baggage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections