Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 02:45 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,137,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Do you have any evidence whatsoever that dad pulled any strings? During the Vietnam war, my dad, a professor at the University of Utah, was also the Student Military Advisor. Day after day, for several years, he counciled students who wanted deferments on the rules and regulations that governed them. These rules and regulations did not include bribery or anything of the sort. (I'm just a year younger than Mitt, so I was in college at the time and was pretty well-informed on the deferment sitution myself.) If you're going to make claims like the one you're making, then you're going to need to be able to come up with actual evidence to back them up. Otherwise, maybe you should just be pissed at Mitt for not serving in the war and dispense with your unfounded conclusions concerning how he came to get a deferment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Think I'll start another thread, "why was willard a draft dodger?"
That's what I love. A comment that has nothing to do with the post it quoted.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,308,190 times
Quote:
That's what I love. A comment that has nothing to do with the post it quoted.
It all evens out. I'm still trying to figure out what your dad being a student military adviser had to do with the draft board. Which would be the group that decided if Mitt got drafted. I'm assuming your father told a lot of students to keep their grades up if they didn't want a free trip to Vietnam. And, being in Utah, my guess is he told a lot of Mormon students about religious deferments.

Glad to hear there was no bribery on campus.

What's that got to do with the draft board?

Old 10-09-2012, 02:59 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,639,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It was brought up during his presidential campaigns. He received five student deferments and was later re-classified because of a medical condition (asthma).

EVERY male politician who has run for president and who was of service-age during Vietnam has had their deferments brought up during their campaigns. Democrats and Republicans. Everyone.

Yeah my dad could have had that as well (asthma)..the doctor told him he would do it...so I do find it suspect.

Personally I don't think it makes you a better President-and I don't care why Romney's kids or Obama's serve..it's their choice.

Last edited by dnvrsoul; 10-09-2012 at 03:11 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
It all evens out. I'm still trying to figure out what your dad being a student military adviser had to do with the draft board. Which would be the group that decided if Mitt got drafted. I'm assuming your father told a lot of students to keep their grades up if they didn't want a free trip to Vietnam. And, being in Utah, my guess is he told a lot of Mormon students about religious deferments.

Glad to hear there was no bribery on campus.

What's that got to do with the draft board?
You still didn't provide the evidence to support your accusation. Did that just slip your mind? If you think there was bribery involved, let's see the evidence. That's not an unreasonable request.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:04 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,717,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Nice attack on a poster on C-D. Not one bit about the topic but a good attic on his intelligence.
It's OK, roy. I was the first to mention hideous grammar. Look at the OP title. Why hasn't Romney's children......... Hasn't. Should be 'haven't'. Why haven't Romney's children.......

Public education. It flew right over the liberal heads.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:05 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,046,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Who cares. This has no impact on turning this country around.
When it involves Romney wanting to incresase defense spending and seriously threatening military action against Iran while at the same time guaranteeing his tax cuts won't raise the debt or affect average Americans, don't you think its relevant? IE where does Mitt plan on getting all that money for more military spending??

Old 10-09-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
You still didn't provide the evidence to support your accusation. Did that just slip your mind? If you think there was bribery involved, let's see the evidence. That's not an unreasonable request.
I said Mitt's dad had "money" (true) and "pull" (true).

The offspring of the rich were rarely drafted. The offspring of the influential and powerful were rarely drafted. Simple fact of the Vietnam era.

You were the one who used the term "bribery", not me. Personally, I take it as a conclusion you jumped to because of your unfamiliarity with the inner workings of most draft boards in the 1960's and your rather impressive defense of anything remotely affecting the LDS church. But I digress. The mayor's son did not get drafted. They sure as heck weren't going to draft the son of the governor of Michigan and the former chairman of American Motors Corporation. lol. That was NOT happening. Not during Vietnam.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I said Mitt's dad had "money" (true) and "pull" (true).

The offspring of the rich were rarely drafted. The offspring of the influential and powerful were rarely drafted. Simple fact of the Vietnam era.
Your refusal to provide proof for your accusations is getting tiresome.

Quote:
Personally, I take it as a conclusion you jumped to because of your unfamiliarity with the inner workings of most draft boards in the 1960's and your rather impressive defense of anything remotely affecting the LDS church. But I digress.
Yes, you do.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:42 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,477,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You mean the guy that surged in Afghanistan?

That's just embarassing to read.

Embarassing indeed! Such short memories from our friends on the right!

The guy INHERITED that war. Republicans seem to forget who was behind the multi-trillion BOONDOGGLE that was/is the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

He didn't START the war, but it IS his job to FINISH it as soon as he can. Short of simply pulling out (which would be irresponsible), the Afghan War now at LEAST has a Timetable for WITHDRAWAL.

I suppose the Republican/Romney plan would be to withdraw them and restation them in IRAN. Never ending war = good for business.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Your refusal to provide proof for your accusations are getting tiresome.

One more time. (Because I'm sure the people reading along are saying "again?" and are slapping their heads in anguish and I'm feeling rather sorry for them):

I did not say George Romney paid a bribe. I said he had money and pull. (You decided "money" and "pull" equaled bribery. Interesting conclusion on your part but wrong in this context.) The sons of men who had money and pull rarely got drafted and for sure they did not get sent to Vietnam. Hopefully, our readers in Provo are following along because two is my personal limit for explaining things.

(Never loose your audience. They won't pay attention for the really big stuff.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections