Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post

BTW, YOU do know that its actually CONGRESS that has control over designating Election days, and the ONLY body that can issue an AMENDMENT (that is what is needed, NOT an Executive order) to allow a President to delay an Election day.
Only for congressional elections. In fact the state legislatures actually have most of the power in terms of how to do elections, heck in theory states do not even need to hold presidential elections. State legislatures could just pick whoever they fancied for the electoral college since they pretty much have carte blanche here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 10:14 PM

27,164 posts, read 15,341,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Obama does not want to delay voting any longer. That's why he is on a campaign for early voting. Extending it any further gives people more time to discover new truths, which is what he clearly does not want.

Bingo!

Another reason why I don't vote early, who knows what may happen or be found out about anything or anybody before Election Day but after you've early voted.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:17 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,787,873 times
Quote:
More conspiracy theory nonsense. Have you READ the US Constitution? ITs defined right in that document.

We still held elections during the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, World War I and World War II. A Natural disaster will not postpone any election.
Someone should tell that to Jay. Clearly he doesn't know the content of the US Constitution.

What am I thinking? I forget, the US Constitution does not apply to this administration.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:23 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,400,054 times
Quote:
More conspiracy theory nonsense. Have you READ the US Constitution? ITs defined right in that document.

We still held elections during the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, World War I and World War II. A Natural disaster will not postpone any election.
Actually I have and not it is not.

Relevant parts of sec. 2.

"Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector."

In essence a bunch of legislators could just go into a back room and pick electors.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:07 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
CNN has gone to **** recently, but even they don't screw up that bad.
The chaged the date to October 29, which was yesterday. You didn't get the memo?

Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,179,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

But, just to keep it fair, I heard on CNN that they are doing so...Republicans are to vote on November 6th, Dems the following Tuesday (November 13th). So Dems...you can all sleep in and rest easy next Tuesday.

*** edit to add, My mistake, not set by the Constitution:
Bahaha...... Shame on you.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:48 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,464,466 times
Default Does anyone doubt that the elections will still be held on 6 Nov???

I have SERIOUS doubts that the WH and TPTB will allow the elections to be held on 6 Nov given it would take a HUGE chunk of those affected by hurricane Sandy, and therefore his support away....anyone else thinking along those lines????

I call they will "delay" the elections because of the storm and it's impact.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,668,155 times
I seriously doubt it will be postponed. If they can't clean things up and get the poles rolling by next Tuesday, they don't deserve to hold their positions.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I seriously doubt it will be postponed. If they can't clean things up and get the poles rolling by next Tuesday, they don't deserve to hold their positions.
Who's "They"

Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,235,254 times
We won't really know until we realize how much damage Sandy has done and its not over yet. If there are massive power outages by next Tuesday, some states could delay it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections