Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:02 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,463,479 times

Advertisements

No GOP president will be 'hard' on immigration because their election was beholden to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which is the lobbying arm of small and medium-sized businesses who are the most prevalent employers of illegal immigrants, and that is because employing those persons allows their wage costs to be much less than if they employed legally employed Americans. The U.S. CoC can't have it both ways: they want lots of illegals in the country but they also don't want taxes increased to accommodate the additional social services required to maintain that population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:37 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Hey folks, Check this out:

Mike Huckabee for President - Issues
Yes he changed his stance quite a bit. But what matter is that he anti-illegal now and he has been farily anti-illegal for sometime. His big things is rewarding the kids of illegals with cheap in-state tuition....

But if he is to deport the 20 million here and seal the border and allow a few thousands of illegal kids, stay, fine with me. Most illegal kids are drug dealers in schools and would be deported under the Huckabee plan anyway.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:15 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,715,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Most illegal kids are drug dealers in schools and would be deported under the Huckabee plan anyway.
Nirvana,
Yikes Nirvana, that's not a nice thing to say. Are you sure that most illegal kids are drug dealers? I highly doubt it.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:10 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcollegeboy View Post
He needs to come out stronger on this issue. This is most important issue of our times.
WRONG! Most Republicans feel that abortion and homosexuality are the most important issues of our time. It's becoming clearer to more and more Republicans that Huckabee stands strongest on those two issues.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:17 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
No GOP president will be 'hard' on immigration because their election was beholden to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, which is the lobbying arm of small and medium-sized businesses who are the most prevalent employers of illegal immigrants, and that is because employing those persons allows their wage costs to be much less than if they employed legally employed Americans. The U.S. CoC can't have it both ways: they want lots of illegals in the country but they also don't want taxes increased to accommodate the additional social services required to maintain that population.
I don't know. Republicans in Oklahoma are in the lead in recently passing some of the toughest anti-immigration laws in the nation and some Republicans want them tougher, yet. However, the Oklahoma Chamber of Commerce is not expressing any support for these new laws.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:09 PM

186 posts, read 335,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
WRONG! Most Republicans feel that abortion and homosexuality are the most important issues of our time. It's becoming clearer to more and more Republicans that Huckabee stands strongest on those two issues.
I could really care less about those two issues, and so could most people.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:45 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcollegeboy View Post
I could really care less about those two issues, and so could most people.
That is why he would never be able to win a general election. What are his foreign policy and national domestic credentials again? His plans seem pretty kindergardenish to me, from what I have read... just some of the same old,same old from the Republican Handbook.

I am sure he is a nice guy and I understand he appeals to social conservatives, but how again does that qualify him to be President?

Old 12-04-2007, 09:19 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,509,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I don't know. Republicans in Oklahoma are in the lead in recently passing some of the toughest anti-immigration laws in the nation and some Republicans want them tougher, yet. However, the Oklahoma Chamber of Commerce is not expressing any support for these new laws.
I'd say that 95% of the anti-illegal legistation I am seeing brought from state law makers are from Republicans. They are listening to the people, finally.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
So many people voted for the present idiotic President we now have, based on two issues alone, abortion and gay marriage. Well, he COMPLETELY backed down on his promise to make marriage between a man and woman a constitutional amendment, and there have been more abortions since he took office than ever before! He won't show his face at a Pro-life gathering, oh, but he will occasionally "call-in" his support (coward that he is). So for those who cannot seem to look beyond just those two issues long enough to see all the other problems that are also bringing down this country (out-of-site health care costs, economic issues, trillions in debt, war, illegal immigration, corporate scandal and political corruption, etc.) I would like to know, what on earth has Bush done to honor your voting him into office in the first place, and twice no less!! I would think the next candidate that gets up and says "vote fo me, I'm your Anti-Gay marriage, Anti-Abortion, Family Values, Conservative Type Candidate" most people's reaction ought to be "yeah right". We've heard it all before.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:06 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times
Quote:
I'd say that 95% of the anti-illegal legistation I am seeing brought from state law makers are from Republicans. They are listening to the people, finally.
No, they are not at all. They're merely playing into the fears of the flames they fan. It's about money. The only way to curtail this issue, which is not our biggest problem, is to truly punish employers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections