Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:38 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,583,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
That is why he would never be able to win a general election. What are his foreign policy and national domestic credentials again? His plans seem pretty kindergardenish to me, from what I have read... just some of the same old,same old from the Republican Handbook.

I am sure he is a nice guy and I understand he appeals to social conservatives, but how again does that qualify him to be President?
Good point!
But with the way things are shaping up in this election, it's anyone's game now. I personally like Gov. Huckabee on his issues because they are near and dear to my heart, but he definately isn't perfect..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 03:41 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Good point!
But with the way things are shaping up in this election, it's anyone's game now. I personally like Gov. Huckabee on his issues because they are near and dear to my heart, but he definately isn't perfect..
Nobody is perfect...unfortunately I disagree with Huckabee on some things he has done in the past... he is one "crafty" fellow and I don't trust him...

Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
I'd say that 95% of the anti-illegal legistation I am seeing brought from state law makers are from Republicans. They are listening to the people, finally.
In Oklahoma they're having 2nd thoughts on the anti-immigrant legislation recently passed there, as indicated in this press release from a Republican:

"Over the past few years, the State Legislature has passed right to work and tort reform measures designed to make Oklahoma more attractive to business, but now the state has a law on the books that negates those efforts. That’s according to Sen. Harry Coates, Co-Chair of the Senate Business and Labor Committee and the only Republican in the Legislature to vote against HB 1804. Coates announced he would file legislation to repeal portions of the bill approved during the 2007 session aimed at illegal immigrants.

“I think people in the legislature, the business community, private citizens and churches of many denominations are beginning to realize that this legislation is having an extremely negative impact on our state in many areas,” said Coates, R-Seminole. “I know there are those who felt this measure would not be good for Oklahoma but they supported it anyway because they worried that a no vote would be used against them in the next election. It was the classic case of good politics resulting in bad policy.”

Coates said the bill would likely include provisions to repeal sections of 1804 dealing with the harboring and transporting of illegal immigrants. He said the bill is causing a tremendous hardship for property and business owners alike. In addition, HB 1804 has caused difficulty for churches and humanitarian organizations although many have said they would continue to help anyone who comes to them for assistance. Coates said he would also file legislation to give some relief to businesses offering jobs that pay at least twice the minimum wage, but can no longer fill those positions.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:41 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,549 times
I would like to know, since Huckabee wants to give tuition breaks to illegal students, does this mean that these students will be able to stay in the U.S. or be required to go to home country with the other illegals?

Old 12-04-2007, 11:42 PM

532 posts, read 859,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
But you missed my point ~ how does a 6 year old change the fact that he or she is here illegally? You simply can't. Let them go to school and do well. They deserve the same education as anyone kid in America.
I think we all have no animosity to any chlldren of any kind, Most all of us have
families, and children of our own. who we are responsible for. Since most of us have limited funds, naturally we are going to take care of our own families first. If we can afford it, we will be glad to help others also. These days, it seems to be all we can do to take care of our own--so it would make sense for children of illegal immigrants to be cared for by the country of their parents birthplace. Our Country simply can not take care of the whole world. It would not be much of the "American Dream" anymore, for anyone. Eventually, your house can become so overcrowded, that nobody gets even a spoon of pie anymore.
:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections