Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:23 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,685,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I support the huckster but only because I'm a Homer Arkansan. I would support Ron Paul if:
1) He had some charisma and
2) He would say something in debates other than "Bring our boys home now!" Ok Ok I know he occassionally says something else but in the last IA debate, he seemed to try to answer most every question by coming back to that.

RP's true conservative platform is the only hope we have to return our country to what I view as our true ideals but I'm afraid he lacks the charisma, credentials, and strength of personality to be any more than a whipping boy should he actually win.
We have had Presidents with Charisma, look how well that has worked. I want a real person, not a fast talking charmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 12:27 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,207,758 times
Default Obama and then Clinton

I support Obama because I think he is the most likely to shake things up and to make real change in this country. I admire his personal history and I agree with most of his positions on the issues.

If Obama is not nominated I think that Sen. Clinton would make an excellent president.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:32 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,769,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
We have had Presidents with Charisma, look how well that has worked. I want a real person, not a fast talking charmer.
Charisma doesn't mean fast talking charmer. It doesn't matter type of industry or field you're in but if you're trying to lead people, you will fail without some form of charisma (or dirt). And if you're going to try to accomplish things so out of character with our recent political climate as RP wants to do, you need it by the boat load to bring the other people over to what you want them to accomplish. The president obviously has little direct input over what actually gets accomplished in our country, thusly, the president MUST be able to bring the legislative branch around to his/her way of thinking.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Charisma doesn't mean fast talking charmer. It doesn't matter type of industry or field you're in but if you're trying to lead people, you will fail without some form of charisma (or dirt). And if you're going to try to accomplish things so out of character with our recent political climate as RP wants to do, you need it by the boat load to bring the other people over to what you want them to accomplish. The president obviously has little direct input over what actually gets accomplished in our country, thusly, the president MUST be able to bring the legislative branch around to his/her way of thinking.
How do you know he doesn't have Charisma? Met him? He never gets the time of day in the Media or time to really speak in the debates. I saw him speak at a convention , he is no pansy and can take alot of people on, if given the chance. All the other candidates are fast talking charmers.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
How do you know he doesn't have Charisma? Met him? He never gets the time of day in the Media or time to really speak in the debates. I saw him speak at a convention , he is no pansy and can take alot of people on, if given the chance. All the other candidates are fast talking charmers.
good point! I've never seen him in person! Since AR isn't exactly important, I doubt I'll get much chance to ever hear him in person. One might could argue that the fact he doesn't get much face time with the media is wholly a result of his lack of charisma but I don't believe that and I doubt many of us here would. All I have to go on is what gets spoon fed to me by the media and that's probably all I'm going to get. We make our decisions on the best data we can access and my judgements are based upon that.

And I totally disagree about all the candidates being fast talking charmers!! Rudy may be a fast talker but he's certainly no charmer!

Last edited by Stormcrow73; 12-18-2007 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-18-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
good point! I've never seen him in person! Since AR isn't exactly important, I doubt I'll get much chance to ever hear him in person. One might could argue that the fact he doesn't get much face time with the media is wholly a result of his lack of charisma but I don't believe that and I doubt many of us here would. All I have to go on is what gets spoon fed to me by the media and that's probably all I'm going to get. We make our decisions on the best data we can access and my judgements are based upon that.

And I totally disagree about all the candidates being fast talking charmers!! Rudy may be a fast talker but he's certainly no charmer!
LOL about Rudy!!!!!!!!! You are right there.

The media keeps us from seeing the "underdogs" probably because they are not for big business, which the media is.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
LOL about Rudy!!!!!!!!! You are right there.

The media keeps us from seeing the "underdogs" probably because they are not for big business, which the media is.
Right now it's totally in the hands of Iowa and NH as to whether those of us like myself who agree with his vision in principle and might turn out to vote for him can see enough to know for sure if he's got what it really takes.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Right now it's totally in the hands of Iowa and NH as to whether those of us like myself who agree with his vision in principle and might turn out to vote for him can see enough to know for sure if he's got what it really takes.
I just want people to stop voting like sheep and vote for the person they most believe in, not "who has a chance" That is the dumbest thing.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:40 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,460,930 times
I support Fred Thompson. He is the most consistent Conservative of the Republicans. I like his positions on the war (Win), immigration (Fence plus punish bad companies), social issues (pro-life), and taxes (flat tax, abolish the IRS as we know it).

I will never vote for a Democrat again - buncha Copperhead Commies

Last edited by Reactionary; 12-18-2007 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Removed the word "idiots" used to describe Democrats - I'm trying to be nicer...

Old 12-18-2007, 02:57 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,993,657 times
I don't like any of the candidates. Never before have I felt this way in the primaries. Ron Paul is mostly fine, except I do believe Universal Healthcare needs to be created in some shape or form, and I also believe outsourcing needs to be curbed with regulatory action before the damage to the US economy is irreversible. Obama is fine except he hasn't been in politics long enough for any of us to really know him, see him establish political connections, nor to really see him have a track record of success. Hillary has character issues everyone now recognizes and she supports outsourcing, India and China a bit too much for my comfort. Huckabee won't get our troops out of Iraq.

I could go on and on... not a single person has all my views. It's pathetic because I believe I'm not off the wall with anything... it's the politicians who are screwed up. Why people are party-aligned right now I cannot fathom.. because not a single party has everything right. We need to get out of Iraq, reinstitute freedoms, get a handle on corporate globalization and greed at the expense of American people and the environment, reform healthcare, reform social security, balance the federal budget and lastly, eliminate the trade imbalance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections