Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:13 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,156,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
I thought you didn't believe in anything modern like computers...telephones, elect...power tools....How did you get here on city data ?????
Don't you mean the Amish? I've never heard of Quakers living that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Not with that attitude. If everyone who says I would vote for him but I don't think he has a chance would actually vote in their primary, he would have a chance. Not attacking you personally, but the mindset that makes people vote for those they think have a chance, instead of the best candidate.

edit: or who they think is the best candidate.
Yes, but voting in the primaries for presidential candidates works differently in different states, right? From what I understand, I might not be able to do that.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,834,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
I support Fred Thompson. He is the most consistent Conservative of the Republicans. I like his positions on the war (Win), immigration (Fence plus punish bad companies), social issues (pro-life), and taxes (flat tax, abolish the IRS as we know it).

I will never vote for a Democrat again - buncha Copperhead Commies
The era of modern conservatisim is coming to a close. America is joining Canada and Europe in becoming a liberal country. The evidence is everywhere. Conservatism died on the fields of Iraq and is buried with its father Ronald Reagan. Even the Republicans recognize that which is why they are running people like McCain, Romney, Rudy and other social moderate liberal candidates.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I have waited a lifetime for a woman to be elected president and I want with all my heart to believe that Hillary would be a good president. But, in truth, I guess I just don't trust her since she is now taking contributions from the very insurance corporations that kept national health care from becoming a reality. So, with great sadness, I guess I will vote for either John Edwards or Joe Biden.
Why not vote for the black guy then and make history that way???

Old 12-18-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Even the Republicans recognize that which is why they are running people like McCain, Romney, Rudy and other social moderate liberal candidates.
Wait, what? How are they "social moderate liberal"? I don't see how they fit into a category like that. Especially not Romney.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:14 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,092,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
So far, I think Obama is the best candidate.I did not know much about Hillary's character but after I watched the first debate, it became clear to me that her character is very flawed and she is a very dishonest person

I watched Mitt Romney on Meet the Press this past Sunday and I cannot think of a more contradicting, hypocritical, typical BS politician

He went as far as saying that he wept when found out that the Mormon religion was going to start allowing blacks in 1978 LOL. So full of crap, anyways I do not trust Mitt at all or any of the other Republican candidates, except maybe Ron Paul(although I do not think he has a chance)

Who do you support and why?
I worry about the unknowing people in states that are not yet so affected by great numbers of illegal aliens. Here in CA they have ruined citizens lives; financially, medically, criminally, etc. Many citizens on the streets here, it's difficult to see this daily. Illegal immigration has turned So. Ca in a Mexico like area (in many areas) and why called Mexifornia. We certainly are sardines in a can here and way overpopulated.

Most candidates do not care about we citizen's lives or they would strive to reverse illegal immigration. They have their own goals of power. OBAMA does not want border fence, he wants all illegals here to stay and so on, so this means we will have even more illegals nonstop having much offspring in order to live off welfare they get for their children, same as usual. It will take a sturdy fence/wall plus surveillance technology to stop illegals and this is only a start, our future depends on who becomes president. Many millions of Americans are out of work, we need to build up America for it's citizens, not keep tearing it down.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:20 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,482,875 times
buildings_and_bridges - good catch. I think that Guiliani is the only GOP candidate one could describe as a "social moderate liberal".

Quote:
"John McCain has the most consistent conservative record of any candidate for president," said Mooney. "Whether it is his 25 year voting record in support of life, his strong support for the Second Amendment, or his commitment to the preservation of the traditional family, John McCain has always stood firm for the causes most important to New Hampshire's conservative community."
http://www.johnmccain.com/informing/news/PressReleases/c324830f-dcd3-4308-8b3e-8dbc00c866be.htm (broken link)

Old 12-19-2007, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
buildings_and_bridges - good catch. I think that Guiliani is the only GOP candidate one could describe as a "social moderate liberal".

http://www.johnmccain.com/informing/news/PressReleases/c324830f-dcd3-4308-8b3e-8dbc00c866be.htm (broken link)
John McCain is socially liberal on immigration and amnesty.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Wait, what? How are they "social moderate liberal"? I don't see how they fit into a category like that. Especially not Romney.
Romney's record in Massachusettes says otherwise. Pro abortion and raised taxes. Also supported Plan B without a prescription. All these guys might run to the right for the primary but will run as social moderates in the general and all their record- except Thompson- show they are social moderates,

Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Romney's record in Massachusettes says otherwise. Pro abortion and raised taxes. Also supported Plan B without a prescription. All these guys might run to the right for the primary but will run as social moderates in the general and all their record- except Thompson- show they are social moderates,
Sounds like Romney is a real prick. Whether he believes in what he did as governor or what he's saying now, either way he's really going against his values.

Unrelated and nit-picky, but that "pro abortion" term bothers me. I don't know anyone who's pro abortion. Every pro abortion rights person I've ever talked to has told that she personally would never have an abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections