Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:51 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,969,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
We need to get out of Iraq, reinstitute freedoms, get a handle on corporate globalization and greed at the expense of American people and the environment, reform healthcare, reform social security, balance the federal budget and lastly, eliminate the trade imbalance.
Just curious..what "freedoms" have you lost? I see this said quite a bit but I never seem to ever hear any examples.

Again, I'm not bashing you, just looking for an insight as to why people feel are rights are being taken away from us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 03:57 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,210,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Just curious..what "freedoms" have you lost? I see this said quite a bit but I never seem to ever hear any examples.

Again, I'm not bashing you, just looking for an insight as to why people feel are rights are being taken away from us.
FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION: Government may monitor religious and political institutions without suspecting criminal activity to assist terror investigations.

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: Government has closed once-public immigration hearings, has secretly detained hundreds of people without charges, and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records questions.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH: Government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone that the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.

RIGHT TO LEGAL REPRESENTATION: Government may monitor federal prison jailhouse conversations between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.

FREEDOM FROM UNREASONABLE SEARCHES: Government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause to assist terror investigation.

RIGHT TO A SPEEDY AND PUBLIC TRIAL: Government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.

RIGHT TO LIBERTY: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:12 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,722,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION: Government may monitor religious and political institutions without suspecting criminal activity to assist terror investigations.
A perfect example of this happened in Colorado, Illinois, and Florida where the FBI was spying on Quaker meetings. We Quakers believe in political activism and a message of peace, which in some way was construed as a threat against national security.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:19 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,122,540 times
I have waited a lifetime for a woman to be elected president and I want with all my heart to believe that Hillary would be a good president. But, in truth, I guess I just don't trust her since she is now taking contributions from the very insurance corporations that kept national health care from becoming a reality. So, with great sadness, I guess I will vote for either John Edwards or Joe Biden.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:30 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,460,018 times
twojciac - weren't Quakers sending people to Iraq as 'human shields' for Saddam? Or was that the Mennonites?

Old 12-18-2007, 05:32 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,685,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I have waited a lifetime for a woman to be elected president and I want with all my heart to believe that Hillary would be a good president. But, in truth, I guess I just don't trust her since she is now taking contributions from the very insurance corporations that kept national health care from becoming a reality. So, with great sadness, I guess I will vote for either John Edwards or Joe Biden.
I as well. But not this woman.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:39 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,127,198 times
Thumbs up Haven't made up my mind yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
So far, I think Obama is the best candidate.I did not know much about Hillary's character but after I watched the first debate, it became clear to me that her character is very flawed and she is a very dishonest person

I watched Mitt Romney on Meet the Press this past Sunday and I cannot think of a more contradicting, hypocritical, typical BS politician

He went as far as saying that he wept when found out that the Mormon religion was going to start allowing blacks in 1978 LOL. So full of crap, anyways I do not trust Mitt at all or any of the other Republican candidates, except maybe Ron Paul(although I do not think he has a chance)

Who do you support and why?
Well, I haven't made up my mind yet as it is too soon to climb on anyone's bandwagon, but I do know that my last choice of all of them will be Hillary "Billary" Clinton. Thompson is at the top of my list with Ron Paul but that will all change many times before we have to vote.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:19 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,773,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
A perfect example of this happened in Colorado, Illinois, and Florida where the FBI was spying on Quaker meetings. We Quakers believe in political activism and a message of peace, which in some way was construed as a threat against national security.

I thought you didn't believe in anything modern like computers...telephones, elect...power tools....How did you get here on city data ?????

Old 12-18-2007, 06:22 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,773,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: Government has closed once-public immigration hearings, has secretly detained hundreds of people without charges, and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records questions.

FREEDOM OF SPEECH: Government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone that the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.

RIGHT TO LEGAL REPRESENTATION: Government may monitor federal prison jailhouse conversations between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.

FREEDOM FROM UNREASONABLE SEARCHES: Government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause to assist terror investigation.

RIGHT TO A SPEEDY AND PUBLIC TRIAL: Government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.

RIGHT TO LIBERTY: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them.
And you want them to put an ad in the local paper that we are looking for terrorist ? There is nothing new about what they are doing....it has always been done in time of wars...They might just be trying to save YOU from another 9/11 !

Old 12-18-2007, 07:21 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,210,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
And you want them to put an ad in the local paper that we are looking for terrorist ? There is nothing new about what they are doing....it has always been done in time of wars...They might just be trying to save YOU from another 9/11 !
I only responded to a poster asking a question. I did not make any assertions or judgments as to whether they were good or bad only to the fact that they exist.

If they really wanted to save me from radical fundamentalist nut jobs, then they might want to stop intervening in everyone else's damn business around the globe and actually do something meaningful in border security and national DEFENSE for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections