Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:02 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,200,050 times

Advertisements

I support myself for president. Why? Because all of the politicians in the race stink.

However, if I had to pick one of the actual candidates, it'd have to be Ron Paul because he's the closest in terms of my ideals. He also doesn't mudsling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 07:40 AM

8,275 posts, read 12,890,301 times
Default who? for president

While I think Bill Clinton gave us some of the best years this country has seen in many years. I think Hillary would likely be able to do the same. I find politicians mostly lack backbone as to identifying their beliefs. They want to remain uncommitted so as not to alienate any segments of the market. While that may be good politically I find it reprehensive as to their character.
If you would like to be informed in a fairly non-biased way I suggest looking at http://www.vote-smart.org/election_president.php
Once you select a person to review you can see the Political Courage test on the right side. This is a stand candidates are asked to take so we know what their beliefs are. To date only 3 candidates have taken a stance. The 3 are John Edwards, Mike Gravel and Christopher Dodd. Note absence of the Republicans and front runners.
I think the others lack of willingness to take a stand goes a long way towards identifying character flaws. Based on this and the responses given I am leaning towards John Edwards. While he is a long shot he seems to take the stand and show the courage I want to see in a president.
I think anything with a brain that is functioning will be welcomed relief from the past 8 years.
The fleecing of the country has gone on long enough. Personally I would launch an investigation and consider charges including insider trading, war crimes and treason. Im ready for a president that has the best interest of the country at heart.
Enough of my peaves take a look at the web site and see what you think. Go for an informed vote and encourage others to do the same.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:09 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,477,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK
All these guys might run to the right for the primary but will run as social moderates in the general and all their record- except Thompson- show they are social moderates
Thanks for validating my analysis - I came to the same conclusion - that Thompson is the most consistently conservative candidate. The other GOP candidates would be OK with me, too, including Ron Paul (who is fairly conservative on social issues).

Quote:
Fred Thompson:
Kill the Terrorists
Protect the Borders
Punch the Hippies
http://www.rightwingnews.com/mt331/2...deo_kill_p.php

Old 12-19-2007, 12:36 PM

2,776 posts, read 4,001,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Thanks for validating my analysis - I came to the same conclusion - that Thompson is the most consistently conservative candidate. The other GOP candidates would be OK with me, too, including Ron Paul (who is fairly conservative on social issues).

http://www.rightwingnews.com/mt331/2...deo_kill_p.php
Thompson won't end the war in Iraq, and as far as being consistently conservative I don't know what that means. He's an actor folks. He doesn't share any specifics or knowledge of specifics when questioned in debates. I don't understand how someone can feel confident in a person with such little grasp or recollection of the details related to today's top issues. How him playing a role on TV makes him qualified to be president I just cannot fathom.

He had hope for my vote at one time, he really did. Up until I saw him in his third or fourth debate I was waiting for him to prove to us that he had something special. He only revealed a lack of knowledge whenever he spoke. I'm not interested in one-line quick quip responses to serious questions. I'm not interested in getting another politician into high office who doesn't do his research ahead of time and cannot speak to specific numbers, dates, and factual occurences.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:56 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,092,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Romney's record in Massachusettes says otherwise. Pro abortion and raised taxes. Also supported Plan B without a prescription. All these guys might run to the right for the primary but will run as social moderates in the general and all their record- except Thompson- show they are social moderates,
Romney has been ANTI ABORTION for years now and endorsed for it. He raised fees, NOT TAXES a small amount when he came into office, this was on corporate businesses, in order to get the budget on track, as he was left with a budget deficit when he came into office. He endorses his plan on health care for his state, yet he does NOT endorse it for all states since many are very under insured, unlike his state which was only 7%.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:05 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,092,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Thompson won't end the war in Iraq, and as far as being consistently conservative I don't know what that means. He's an actor folks. He doesn't share any specifics or knowledge of specifics when questioned in debates. I don't understand how someone can feel confident in a person with such little grasp or recollection of the details related to today's top issues. How him playing a role on TV makes him qualified to be president I just cannot fathom.

He had hope for my vote at one time, he really did. Up until I saw him in his third or fourth debate I was waiting for him to prove to us that he had something special. He only revealed a lack of knowledge whenever he spoke. I'm not interested in one-line quick quip responses to serious questions. I'm not interested in getting another politician into high office who doesn't do his research ahead of time and cannot speak to specific numbers, dates, and factual occurences.
Thompson will end the Iraq war just like Hillary...they both say as soon as possible and then they will leave military to stabalize, so it won't turn into a terrorist training camp, etc. Thompson is highly intelligent and he really does know the issues and details, but he is more laid back so cannot give those fast details in their 30 limit to questions. He is asking for a round table discussions with other candidates, that will show that he does know the subjects...and on all these subjects he believes now what he believed way back, he is one of the older candidates. Thompson makes good judgements on issues, and his track record proves it.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:14 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,727,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
I thought you didn't believe in anything modern like computers...telephones, elect...power tools....How did you get here on city data ?????
Wrong religion, you're thinking about the Amish. About half the people I've met at meetings are in IT, so it's quite a geeky religion.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:24 AM

522 posts, read 965,530 times
Exclamation Conservative??Ron Paul?? NOT

[quote=Reactionary;2292608]Thanks for validating my analysis - I came to the same conclusion - that Thompson is the most consistently conservative candidate. The other GOP candidates would be OK with me, too, including Ron Paul (who is fairly conservative on social issues).

http://www.rightwingnews.com/mt331/2...deo_kill_p.php[/quote

I want you to know I researched this.
Ron Paul wants to make growing (hemp) by the GOVERNMENT legal.
I do not consider that conservative.
I am voting for DUNCAN HUNTER and here is why.

After seeing that Huckabee wanted everything I thought was perfect ..I found out that he intends to MANDATE A NATIONAL BAN ON SMOKING!!!!!..
VERY UNCONSTITUTIONAL WHETHER YOU SMOKE OR NOT!!!!

So I will not vote for him. I even wrote letters to him about it with no reply denying any such thing!!! Then I saw it on his platform..ahah!!! I knew it was too good to be true..though I really like Huckabee I fear greatly that his unconstitutionality would abound.
and the immigration ...

Next,Julianni..
Well yeah ok but ..what about abortion!!!! (??he is a catholic!!?)
And what about his plans for immigration!!!!
Nope..not that one either.
Next,..

McCain...hey now here is someone I like alot but ..wait a minute!!whoa!
I wrote him a letter too.. imploring him to tell me and the public how he was going to bring our jobs back and keep america strong stating my great concerns over this issue.
Then I found out...
He voted for NAFTA!!!!!?????
What!

Alright ..hey!! What about Duncan Hunter!!??
Here is someone who has the guts to deal with immigration..
Wants our trade to become FAIR again...
Absolutely wants to reverse NAFTA..and has legislation he is pushing right now to do so!!!
And has worked very hard to do so!
Believes in our freedom as a nation, and in God.
The only thing he lacks is media attention...
Hmmm...!!!!!!
That is the conservative...
God bless America

Old 12-20-2007, 01:28 AM

522 posts, read 965,530 times
Lightbulb One more thing...

You can say that a candidate does not have the money..or that you "think" they won't make it because the television tells you so..(DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT!!!!)
BUT IF YOU DO NOT VOTE YOUR CONSCIENCE THAT IS A WASTED VOTE.
I am voting my conscience, I pray that all of you will too.
God bless you all and God bless America!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 09:10 AM

2,776 posts, read 4,001,843 times
Unhappy don't allow the propaganda machines of the media and some church organizations to sway your opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen570 View Post
You can say that a candidate does not have the money..or that you "think" they won't make it because the television tells you so..(DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT!!!!)
BUT IF YOU DO NOT VOTE YOUR CONSCIENCE THAT IS A WASTED VOTE.
I am voting my conscience, I pray that all of you will too.
God bless you all and God bless America!!!!!!!
I encourage people to vote according to the real issues at hand and don't allow the propaganda machines of the media and some church organizations to sway their opinions based upon red herrings and otherwise inconsequential things.

Gretchen, you mentioned that you essentially won't vote for Ron Paul because he intends to legalize growing hemp by the government and I just cannot believe it. Are you seriously going to tell me that is a significant issue today?

That we shouldn't be concerned about US lives being lost overseas in war with no sight in end (nor real achievable goal), that we shouldn't be concerned about a broken tax system, a corrupt political system, a healthcare system in need of major change, trade and business imbalances threatening the US economy, and an assault on personal liberties in pursuit of a one world government - but instead we should be concerned about people saying Merry Christmas to each other and that someone wants to repeal a ridiculous law about growing hemp?

Wow, if you really believe that is the right way to vote, I certainly hope you are in the major minority of US voters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections