Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US take $1.5 trillion in Iraqi oil?
Yes 67 47.52%
No 74 52.48%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 11:23 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

No. We have our own oil, and we can get some from Canada. And it would be cheaper.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:54 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
So the best plan is to take a bad idea and double down on it? Brilliant. So let's just say we occupy Iraq and it costs us nothing (maybe the Mexicans can do it), then we figure out the logistics on moving 5 million barrels of oil every day to market. The the US government sells the oil on the international commodities exchange. So the government controls the means of production, takes the money, and redistributes is among the people. Isn't that communism?
Add to that the fact that the government is now competing against other domestic oil producers. Isn't that picking winners and losers in the marketplace? Maybe you guys ought to take another look at Bernie!
Trump and his 20+ supporters in this thread are under the delusion that the oil will be free. They don't account for extraction, processing, transport, and security costs. Their plan is more expensive than buying oil on the world market and requires a permanent occupying force in Iraq.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:39 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
It's not stealing - it's spoils of war.

To the conquerors go the spoils. Deal with it.
I thought we were liberators.

Quote:
And why should you and I have to pay for all the money squandered in the war(s).
The US electorate wanted the wars ever so badly. That means the US taxpayer pays for them. Thank Rupert Murdoch for doing such a great job of selling the Iraq war.

I mean, some of us tried to warn you, but noooooo - the nice people on Fox News told you it was going to be cheap and fast and Iraq was just about to bomb us all with their massive WMD stores, and would they lie?

Old 05-03-2016, 01:23 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Trump and his 20+ supporters in this thread are under the delusion that the oil will be free. They don't account for extraction, processing, transport, and security costs. Their plan is more expensive than buying oil on the world market and requires a permanent occupying force in Iraq.
Bingo.

Which is why the liberal lie that Bush invaded for oil was absurd. We could have bought a crap ton of oil for the cost of the war that didn't produce any oil benefits that we couldn't have gotten without the war.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:29 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Disgusting.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:00 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No. We have our own oil, and we can get some from Canada. And it would be cheaper.

the US had troops there for like ten years anyway, that's when they should have sucked the wells dry

Old 05-03-2016, 07:08 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
the US had troops there for like ten years anyway, that's when they should have sucked the wells dry
We probably could of done just that in keeping the tents air conditioned for the military. No bigger consumer in the history of the planet. What a waste.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:26 PM

501 posts, read 361,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
If Trump had his way, Saddam would still be leading Iraq.
When he says "take the oil", he's only referring to the terrorist groups.
I voted "no", because it's not our oil. We caused this mess.
In 2011 and 2013 he was very clearly referring to Iraqi oil as a whole, not just "terrorist oil"

In 2011 he said the US should take $1.5 trillion in oil assets (or 20% of Iraq's oil reserves)
and then also said the US should take all $15 trillion in oil assets. If you click my links you'll see this for yourself.

In 2015 he again said the US should "take the oil" without referring to terrorist oil, but Iraqi oil in general. In his campaign ads in late 2015, he said we should take ISIS' oil. But here's the issue with that: ISIS' oil is itself considered stolen oil. In Syria, Assad thinks the oil they stole belongs to him. I'm fine with stealing oil from Assad, personally, but I find it hard to believe the Free Syrian Army (John McCain/Obama's allies) will be OK with the US stealing oil and keeping it for itself. If the US steals ISIS oil it has to give it to allied Syrians. Otherwise the US would be stealing previously stolen oil, and we'd be inviting attacks from the FSA.

I think it's absolutely inevitable that if the US were to try to steal $1.5 trillion in Iraqi oil, US military forces would be forced to kill tens of thousands of formerly allied Iraqi Shia and Kurdish soldiers who would attempt to stop the theft.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:12 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I thought we were liberators.

The US electorate wanted the wars ever so badly. That means the US taxpayer pays for them. Thank Rupert Murdoch for doing such a great job of selling the Iraq war.

I mean, some of us tried to warn you, but noooooo - the nice people on Fox News told you it was going to be cheap and fast and Iraq was just about to bomb us all with their massive WMD stores, and would they lie?

We are liberating the oil.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:10 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,535 times
The only real solution to rising oil costs and consumption is to switch to alternative energy, (ethanol and methanol),. I believe it was Brazil that did this and their economy boomed as a resulted. Oil companies don't like to hear this but its the truth. Taking oil from this place or that place are only temporary solutions. I'm not opposed to taking oil from Iraq, but its not the "cure-all" for rising oil prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections