Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 08:49 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I find it interesting that I started a thread just 2 days ago about a poll focused on Florida's Jewish community showing Hillary with a 43 point lead over Donald. It ran for about 5 pages with about 30 posts ... and then it just disappeared ... vanished.

The poll was not insignificant because Florida is an important "swing" or "battleground" state, and Florida has the third largest Jewish population in the US.
The poll wasn't insignificant but didn't prove anything at all. Everyone knows that the Jewish population in Florida comes from the northeast states, especially New York. You don't get more liberal populations than most New York Jews. I'm surprised it didn't show an 80 percent lead among Florida Jews. If it was only 43 percent, Trump is doing quite well. BTW, it wouldn't matter who the Republican nominee is.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:51 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The GOP is not a functioning party. Its just a vehicle for the billionaire class to further their agenda.
Like the elitist liberal democrats are any better?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:20 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Like the elitist liberal democrats are any better?
The progressive wing of the Democrats is clearly better.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:32 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
An avalanche of PPP Battleground Polls:

Quote:
Here are the latest state polls from the presidential race:

Pennsylvania: Clinton 47%, Trump 40% (Franklin & Marshall)

Arizona: Trump 46%, Clinton 43% (PPP)

Missouri: Trump 47%, Clinton 41% (PPP)

New Hampshire: Clinton 46%, Trump 40% (PPP)

North Carolina: Clinton 45%, Trump 44% (PPP)

Ohio: Clinton 46%, Trump 42% (PPP)

Pennsylvania: Clinton 48%, Trump 43% (PPP)

Wisconsin: Clinton 48%, Trump 41% (PPP)

https://politicalwire.com/2016/09/01...up-thursday-3/
Trump leads in 2 Romney states and trails everywhere else.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:34 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Ground game.. I heard so much about that in the primaries. In fact, Cruz was supposed to beat Trump because he had good ground game. He was the master ground game guy! Ground game is so old and useless. Let Hillary keep opening offices all over swing states.. what do they do? robocall? fliers? Exactly what does these field offices do that change peoples minds to vote for a candidate?
You may have a point.

We will see in November.

It appears Donald's poll numbers are beginning to improve. From my point of view, however, it is all about the electoral college. In other words, if Donald's numbers improve in places like Texas and Georgia it really doesn't matter much because he already has those states in the bag.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:43 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
You may have a point.

We will see in November.

It appears Donald's poll numbers are beginning to improve. From my point of view, however, it is all about the electoral college. In other words, if Donald's numbers improve in places like Texas and Georgia it really doesn't matter much because he already has those states in the bag.
It will be interesting to see what the variance is this year between the national popular vote and the percentages in the state that gets the winner to 270 in the electoral college.. In 2012, Obama won the national popular vote by 3.86%, but he won the tipping point state of Colorado by 5.36%, so the national numbers were deceiving because the electoral college favored the Democrats by an additional 1.5%. The last year in which the electoral college favored the Republicans over the results in the popular vote was in 2000 with Florida deciding the election in favor of George W. Bush.

That's why unless the national horse race numbers indicate a blowout, they're really meaningless. It's those state by state match ups that will tell the tale.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 09-01-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 09-01-2016, 09:48 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
Ground game.. I heard so much about that in the primaries. In fact, Cruz was supposed to beat Trump because he had good ground game. He was the master ground game guy! Ground game is so old and useless. Let Hillary keep opening offices all over swing states.. what do they do? robocall? fliers? Exactly what does these field offices do that change peoples minds to vote for a candidate?
It's not "changing people's minds" as the top priority. They focus on getting people that support their candidate to register, getting people motivated to go out and vote.

For example, advising/reminding people of the steps (and web links/tel#s) for requesting to get an absentee ballot. Or giving the people the address/hours/map for early voting sites. Also giving people maps/hours for the voting day polling site (especially if it changed recently). They also contact people ahead of time to see if they need a ride to the polls and arrange for this. This is especially important for people that don't drive such as those that live in the city and don't need to drive, those that are too old to drive, those that don't have cars, etc.

Some people just don't get around to voting, such as young people. If they get prompted enough and if it's made easy, they might just vote. For example, if someone sent them a web link to their supervisor of elections web site to make it easy to request an absentee ballot. Then the ballot shows up in their mail box. They would get future email and text reminders to submit their ballot - either drop off in person (address given) as well as reminders of how much postage to attach to the mail-in return ballot. Some 18 and 19 and 20 year olds needs such prodding and it makes a difference to get people to actually vote. This little bit of difference in a close election is important. If you get 1% more voters to cast votes(that normally wouldn't have voted ), it can sway the election.

Last election I successfully prodded a family member to register and then cast a ballot. The same family member hadn't voted in 20 years. I am 100% sure that they wouldn't have registered and wouldn't have voted without my prodding. I gave directions/hours for registration and explained the process. I looked up hours for early voting and called with reminders. This same family member is going to vote this election too.

Last edited by sware2cod; 09-01-2016 at 10:35 AM..

Old 09-01-2016, 09:59 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's not "changing people's minds" as the top priority. They focus on getting people that support thair candidate to register, getting people motivated to go out and vote.

For example, advising/reminding people of the steps (and web links/tel#s) for requesting to get an absentee ballot. Or giving the people the address/hours/map for early voting sites. Also giving people maps/hours for the voting day polling site (especially if it changed recently). They also contact people ahead of time to see if they need a ride to the polls and arrange for this. This is especially important for people that don't drive such as those that live in the city and don't need to drive, those that are too old to drive, those that don't have cars, etc.

Some people just don't get around to voting, such as young people. If they get prompted enough and if it's made easy, they might just vote. For example, if someone sent them a web link to their supervisor of elections web site to make it easy to request an absentee ballot. Then the ballot shows up in their mail box. They would get future email and text reminders to submit their ballot - either drop off in person (address given) as well as reminders of how much postage to attach to the mail-in return ballot. Some 18 and 19 and 20 year olds needs such prodding and it makes a difference to get people to actually vote. This little bit of difference in a close election is important. If you get 1% more voters to cast votes(that normally wouldn't have voted ), it can sway the election.

Last election I successfully prodded a family member to register and then cast a ballot. The same family member hadn't voted in 20 years. I am 100% sure that they wouldn't have registered and wouldn't have voted without my prodding. I gave directions/hours for registration and explained the process. I looked up hours for early voting and called with reminders. This same family member is going to vote this election too.
Congrats on getting your family member to vote. I believe voting is very important and have voted in every election, even local since I was 18 (well I may have skipped a few school budgets until I had kids!!). However, these days people can google "where do I vote" and bam voting hours and locations pop up in minutes. Same with absentee voting. I honestly believe it was much more important lets say 20 years ago than it is today to have "field offices". Trump and Clinton can get a message out with one tweet that will go viral immediately.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:03 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,946,602 times
Hillary in the 30's

" Trump has 40 percent support, while Clinton has 39 percent, according to the survey of likely U.S. voters."

Rasmussen: Trump Leads as Hillary Clinton Loses Post-Convention Polling Bounce - Breitbart

Old 09-01-2016, 10:05 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,946,602 times
Will the millennial show up to vote for her since she is so uninspiring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections