Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2016, 07:08 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times

Advertisements

In the early days of this year, on other threads, we discussed how polls had become incorrect due to most pollsters using methods of the 1950s, when all had landlines, no caller ID, etc. It was noted that Gallup was sitting out this election cycle, at least in doing presidential polling, while they study how polling can be made accurate again.

Of course, back when Hillary Rodham Clinton was polling well, I recall supporters of Donald John Trump agreeing that the polls must be taken with a grain of salt. I was agreeable with that sentiment. Now that Mr. Trump has either pulled ahead, or at least statistically tied, Ms. Clinton in many polls, seems that the distrust of polls has gone out the window. I suppose it is all a matter of perspective, and the desire to see some particular result. I certainly recall how supporters of Mr. Romney were citing favorable polls, literally up to Election eve, showing that he would win, and handily. I also recall how on election night Karl Rove simply would not believe the 'called' results concerning Ohio on Fox, since said results were contrary to the polls he believed in, as well as his own desires.

I still recall that after the 2012 election, the Republican party ordered that famous 'autopsy' report, which painted a rather grim picture for future Republican presidential elections, unless the party reached out to those segments of the population that many conservatives viewed as 'deplorables': the black vote, the Hispanic vote, the well educated vote, the women vote, etc.

Mr. Trump, as is well known, has ignored that advise. Indeed, I read last night that, among black voters, Mr. Trump actually has a lesser percentage of their vote, nationwide (2 percent) than George Wallace did in 1968 (3 percent).

So, I shall continue to look at polling with suspicion. I simply cannot fathom where all these 'pro Trump' votes are coming from. The pollsters are, of course, trying to be accurate (for they rely on such for their bread and butter), but I rather doubt they have fully adjusted to the new society of cell phones and such. Once the results of this election are history, they will examine their methods and see which proved accurate, and which faulty.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:18 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The moderators will attempt to rattle Trump that you can be sure. It's all about getting him to say something provocative. Unfortunately, for the left and the MSM he's gotten much better at playing the game of politics.

Meanwhile HC appears to be running out of ammo.
Is Hillary Clinton out of ammo to use against Donald Trump? | Fox News
Rattle Trump? You mean by asking questions like they do at every debate? He couldn't even answer easy questions at the forum. He rattled and rambled around without ever saying anything.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:31 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
In the early days of this year, on other threads, we discussed how polls had become incorrect due to most pollsters using methods of the 1950s, when all had landlines, no caller ID, etc. It was noted that Gallup was sitting out this election cycle, at least in doing presidential polling, while they study how polling can be made accurate again.

Of course, back when Hillary Rodham Clinton was polling well, I recall supporters of Donald John Trump agreeing that the polls must be taken with a grain of salt. I was agreeable with that sentiment. Now that Mr. Trump has either pulled ahead, or at least statistically tied, Ms. Clinton in many polls, seems that the distrust of polls has gone out the window. I suppose it is all a matter of perspective, and the desire to see some particular result. I certainly recall how supporters of Mr. Romney were citing favorable polls, literally up to Election eve, showing that he would win, and handily. I also recall how on election night Karl Rove simply would not believe the 'called' results concerning Ohio on Fox, since said results were contrary to the polls he believed in, as well as his own desires.

I still recall that after the 2012 election, the Republican party ordered that famous 'autopsy' report, which painted a rather grim picture for future Republican presidential elections, unless the party reached out to those segments of the population that many conservatives viewed as 'deplorables': the black vote, the Hispanic vote, the well educated vote, the women vote, etc.

Mr. Trump, as is well known, has ignored that advise. Indeed, I read last night that, among black voters, Mr. Trump actually has a lesser percentage of their vote, nationwide (2 percent) than George Wallace did in 1968 (3 percent).

So, I shall continue to look at polling with suspicion. I simply cannot fathom where all these 'pro Trump' votes are coming from. The pollsters are, of course, trying to be accurate (for they rely on such for their bread and butter), but I rather doubt they have fully adjusted to the new society of cell phones and such. Once the results of this election are history, they will examine their methods and see which proved accurate, and which faulty.
Sorry, but currently Trump is doing very well with Blacks at over 13% and Hispanics at about 24% which is far greater than expected. Romney, the very moderate Republican only received 6 percent of the Black vote and 27% of the Hispanic vote. So you see, your number of 2% of the Black vote is absurd and totally false.
Where are these numbers coming from? They are coming from everyday people that are fed up with the status quo and are hoping for a real change that might make a positive difference in their lives.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:32 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Rattle Trump? You mean by asking questions like they do at every debate? He couldn't even answer easy questions at the forum. He rattled and rambled around without ever saying anything.

DT faced a very good debate field this year, and crushed them. Piece of cake vs HRC, who did poorly in 2008 at debates.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Sorry, but currently Trump is doing very well with Blacks at over 13% and Hispanics at about 24% which is far greater than expected. Romney, the very moderate Republican only received 6 percent of the Black vote and 27% of the Hispanic vote. So you see, your number of 2% of the Black vote is absurd and totally false.
Where are these numbers coming from? They are coming from everyday people that are fed up with the status quo and are hoping for a real change that might make a positive difference in their lives.
On which poll?

Old 09-17-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
DT faced a very good debate field this year, and crushed them. Piece of cake vs HRC, who did poorly in 2008 at debates.
He won by being bombastic, repeating it'll be great, and talking about his "hand" size.
One on one Hillary is a better debater. Trump does ok on a teleprompter, but they aren't allowed in debates, so he will have to actually answer the questions or be shown that he is lacking in knowledge of the topics. Chanting "it'll be great believe me" isn't going to cut it.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
On which poll?
Polltracker, which I follow, takes an average of the latest polls by state and nationwide. The latest information published regarding these demographics shows Trump at 13.9% nationally among African Americans and at 24.2% among Hispanics.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Polltracker, which I follow, takes an average of the latest polls by state and nationwide. The latest information published regarding these demographics shows Trump at 13.9% nationally among African Americans and at 24.2% among Hispanics.
Do you have a link? I searched polltracker and got several different sites.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Do you have a link? I searched polltracker and got several different sites.
This is their website. They claim to be the most accurate and up to date poll reporting. I have their app on my iphone which gives updates and provides the latest numbers concisely.

Talking Points Memo

Old 09-17-2016, 08:37 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The moderators will attempt to rattle Trump that you can be sure. It's all about getting him to say something provocative. Unfortunately, for the left and the MSM he's gotten much better at playing the game of politics.

Meanwhile HC appears to be running out of ammo.
Is Hillary Clinton out of ammo to use against Donald Trump? | Fox News
Trump is getting better? He's already whining about Anderson Cooper being the moderator on the 2nd debate and wants him removed. Trump knows absolutely nothing about domestic and foreign policy and it's going to show in the debates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections