Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 11:39 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,904,100 times

Advertisements

1. Tax cut. My taxes under Trump's plan would reduce by about $3,500. I don't expect that much because I think his plan will be adjusted. While the vast majority of middle class would see a significant reduction in taxes, Trump's plan does favor some situations more than others. Of course any simplification is going to favor some more than others since our current system by it's sheer complexity already does that.

2. Corporate tax cut. Won't affect me directly but should cause some corporations to stay in America when they would otherwise leave. That should improve our job situation.

3. Protect borders. I guess Trump really intends to build a wall. Not sure I believe that will be effective, but we'll see, and we DO need to enforce the freaking law. Liberal politicians seem to be happy to sell out America in order to import votes for them.

4. Keep radical Islam out. While every American is free to practice their religion, including Islam, that does not mean "all beliefs are created equal" when it comes to immigration. Would we allow a known KKK member to immigrate? I hope not -- because their thoughts are messed up. Well, thoughts about God don't get a free pass. If a religion's stated goal is to ultimately impose it's laws & beliefs on everyone then their very thoughts are fascist, and we should opt to not bring their numbers here.

5. Stop getting involved militarily in every damn situation around the world. We need to deal with our the deficit. Think of how much money we've wasted with this crap. And how's that turned out? Worse than if we did nothing. Also, make foreign governments pay their fair share for the military protection we provide.

6. Strengthen the military. Carry a big stick but do not forget to walk softly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 11:42 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
I doubt he'll do anything for me.

If he puts US foreign policy on a more non-interventionist path and stops our world police act I'll applaud him. If he'll actively seek to cut waste as seriously in the DoD as in other government sectors I'll applaud him.

Otherwise?

NEXT contestant!

Old 12-27-2016, 11:48 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You do realize Donald Trump was put on a personal budget by his creditors, right?

Quick - Who'd Have Trouble Living on $450,000 a Month? - NYTimes.com

People who think Donald Trump is a good businessman likely believe that Judge Judy is a brilliant jurist who should be nominated to the Supreme Court.
I don't have to guess. If you think he's worth the same as he was when his father gave him the original loan, you aren't playing with a full deck. That he has the ability to bounce back says a lot about him. Oh, and if you don't like the laws that allow him to bounce back, you can always plead your case to your Congressperson. Let's see what they do about it.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:48 AM

33,587 posts, read 18,188,329 times
Trump is a doer. Hillary and Obama a talker and liars.

Trump will try his darnest to do everything he sets his mind to and just want he said he would do. Trump will work hard to get things done as the creepy left tries their darnest to stop him.

f He will get most things done and the left will try to block every one because of their sore loser mentality . They don't care what is good or the American people as a whole and want Trump to strengthen our country.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:15 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't have to guess. If you think he's worth the same as he was when his father gave him the original loan, you aren't playing with a full deck. That he has the ability to bounce back says a lot about him. Oh, and if you don't like the laws that allow him to bounce back, you can always plead your case to your Congressperson. Let's see what they do about it.
I didn't say anything about his alleged net worth or the fairness or the unfairness of U.S. bankruptcy laws. I merely pointed out that he was placed on a personal budget by his creditors, which is not a sign of someone who is business savvy. Being placed on a personal budget by creditors is not something successful businessmen have in common.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:47 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,904,471 times
I didn't vote for Trump, but some positives I hope to see, but not necessarily confident these will happen. Not all effect me personally...

1. Continuation of LGBT rights.
2. Normalization of relations with Cuba
3. Make it harder for Islamic immigration
4. Lower tax rates (only with budget cuts)
5. Increased pressure on American companies to keep jobs here
6. Decrease military presence overseas

The biggest thing to effect me personally would be the ACA. I really don't care how they fix it, but the costs have to come down. I have no confidence this will be done. The ACA has been a disaster and I think it will get worse under Trump.

I worry he will raise the minimum wage to $10, I also worry about finding decent help at my restaurant. It's tough to find an American willing to work for min wage that isn't terribly lazy or have some major problem. There are many immigrants who are willing to work hard for that same money. On the flip side, if they really do these door to door immigration raids, I could see some of my competitors fleeing the country. Just trying to see the silver lining in the black cloud coming.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:48 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Next one for me... decreasing the sludge of regulations that slow down the engine of our economy.

10,000 Commandments

There were 16 agency regulations passed for every law Congress passed in 2014. In 2013, the number was 51 regulations for every law.

In 2014, government data should compliance costs to be $1.88 trillion. That's $1.88 trillion that does not go towards the individual business hiring workers or buying equipment. Regulatory compliance costs exceed individual income taxes and corporate taxes.
Wow. Astonishing. Trump has already accomplished the one thing important to me.....someone beating Hillary. If he can chip away at some of the above, that would be gravy.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:53 PM

45,598 posts, read 27,230,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I didn't vote for Trump, but some positives I hope to see, but not necessarily confident these will happen. Not all effect me personally...

1. Continuation of LGBT rights.
2. Normalization of relations with Cuba
3. Make it harder for Islamic immigration
4. Lower tax rates (only with budget cuts)
5. Increased pressure on American companies to keep jobs here
6. Decrease military presence overseas

The biggest thing to effect me personally would be the ACA. I really don't care how they fix it, but the costs have to come down. I have no confidence this will be done. The ACA has been a disaster and I think it will get worse under Trump.

I worry he will raise the minimum wage to $10, I also worry about finding decent help at my restaurant. It's tough to find an American willing to work for min wage that isn't terribly lazy or have some major problem. There are many immigrants who are willing to work hard for that same money. On the flip side, if they really do these door to door immigration raids, I could see some of my competitors fleeing the country. Just trying to see the silver lining in the black cloud coming.
The bold is a big problem that has very little to do with who is president.

Maybe Trump can somehow motivate the next generation to value a good education and all types of work. We have to many wanna be entertainers.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:42 PM

25,968 posts, read 22,154,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMDM View Post
I see so many posts from Trump supporters saying they can't wait for him to take office so things will change.

WITHOUT BASHING OBAMA, can you intelligently explain, with specific details, exactly what you expect from Trump and how you think those changes will directly effect YOUR life? What policies do you expect him to implement that will make your life better. You can compare and contrast with current policies of course, but please give a well written answer as to what you expect from the next 4 years, and how those things would only happen with Trump as President.

Thanks.

AND TRUMP HATERS: Please don't use this thread to bash Trump. I am seriously interested in what Trump supporters expect the next 4 years.
Gee, since I am not a liberal, I didn't vote for Trump based on what he could do for me, but what I think he could do for the country. "Shake it up!"

I believe that Trump will work with other world leaders making compromises so that the world will do better as a whole and that he chose this path because he wanted to give back to a country that has been good to him and his family. I am sure that he did not want to see the destruction of our country and his family's wealth come through the globalism that was the elite was pushing hard for.

I expect Trump to put the interest of our country first while being diplomatic with other world leaders.

Keep in mind that many of the issues people have with our government come from what people expect the government to do for them. Who remembers John F. Kennedy, a Democrat? Ask not what your country can do for you (Kennedy's inuagural address) I was child in 1963, but I remember it well.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:58 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,400,302 times
I would like to see somebody punch Trump in the face, that would make me smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections