Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 08:42 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,298,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How exactly would he do that. He has his base but has made no attempt to enlarge it. He just insults the rest of us.
Plus the fact that his base primarily consists of non-college whites and non-college white share of registered and actual voters has shrunk an average of 2 to 3% every four years for the past twenty or more years.

If the R base isn’t expanded to include a higher percentage of minorities and white college grads, which is hard to do when you’ve become a white nationalist/white grievance party, you’re forced to squeeze an ever higher R voting percentage and turnout out of a diminishing base of non-college whites. There's only so much toothpaste in the tube. The law of diminishing returns takes hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 05:11 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
I am modifying my earlier prediction in this thread.

Trump is probably not the odds on favorite at this point. Until we see what is in the Mueller report, all bets are off. Also unless Trump wins PA, MI, and FL he can't win re-election. Trump has gotten a raw deal from the press but he's also had way too much turnover in his administration, now even John Kelley is calling it quits. This tells me there is something very wrong, to have this many people out before two years are even gone by. Trump hasn't gotten the wall built or even started (not entirely his fault), he hasn't gotten rid of Obamacare, and shockingly he hasn't gotten an infrastructure bill passed. He's run up a lot more debt as well. He's done some good things and I'll give him a C overall and he was still the obvious choice against Crooked Hillary, but call me disappointed right about now.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:56 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I am modifying my earlier prediction in this thread.

Trump is probably not the odds on favorite at this point. Until we see what is in the Mueller report, all bets are off. Also unless Trump wins PA, MI, and FL he can't win re-election. Trump has gotten a raw deal from the press but he's also had way too much turnover in his administration, now even John Kelley is calling it quits. This tells me there is something very wrong, to have this many people out before two years are even gone by. Trump hasn't gotten the wall built or even started (not entirely his fault), he hasn't gotten rid of Obamacare, and shockingly he hasn't gotten an infrastructure bill passed. He's run up a lot more debt as well. He's done some good things and I'll give him a C overall and he was still the obvious choice against Crooked Hillary, but call me disappointed right about now.

Las Vegas still has Trump the favorite 7/5

Beto O'Rouke 10/1

Kamala Harris 10/1
Joe Biden 12/1
Bernie Sanders 16/1
Cory Booker 21/1
Elizabeth Warren 25/1
Kirsten Gillibrand 33/1
Michael Bloomber 33/1

unless Mueller's report has a real crime and I don't mean some B.S. cr@p like lying to Mueller or campaign finance violation which the worst thing is a fine, Nancy Pelosi will not let the report go pass to the Senate. She needs 67 votes in the Senate to impeach and Democrats don't have it, they only have 47 votes and NO way they will get 20 Republicans to vote to impeach Trump on B.S. charges.....plus Pelosi knows if she sets a precedent to impeach the precedent on BS charges, they will do the same thing for Democrats.....Pelosi is smart, she knows impeachment is bad for them.

Tell me a President that passed everything he promised in their first 2 years? Not Bill Clinton, Not W Bush and Not Obama, Not even Reagan did much in his first 2 years other than tax cuts and cutting regulations, the same thing Trump has done....the wall is part of immigration reform and all of the 3 previous Presidents failed to do it and they also failed to pass healthcare reform and all 3 got re-elected.

Trump did enough in his first 2 years to keep his base with judges, taxes and reforming trade deals and a President running for re-election that has his base and a good economy is the favorite to win regardless of party....in the next 2 years he has to deal with Pelosi on Healthcare reform and immigration reform...he still has 53 GOP Senate so that gives him a little more leverage in dealing with Pelosi....and if those 2 things fail then Trump will share the blame with the Democrats......just like 1996 with Clinton and a Republican Congress.

Democrats winning the house and making Nancy Pelosi speaker actually helps Trump. Now we can have a real debate on the difference between the 2 parties on immigration and Medicare for all which is what Democrats will push that has a huge price tag.....this only helps Trump.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 12-08-2018 at 07:17 PM..

Old 12-08-2018, 09:50 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I think McSally, Heller and Kobach would disagree with you along with the moderate repubs who got destroyed but this fools stupidity and ignorance. Trump is the best thing that Dems will have going for them in 2020 except for the ruby red goober states - which aren't needed to get to 270.

Get used to saying President elect Kamala Harris!
And there you have it. The one demographic whom it is completely and unabashedly A-OK to insult, trash talk, and dismiss as anything worthy. Not cool to make fun of, or tear down minorities, the LGBTQ community, women, or anyone from a foreign country here with or without papers...but hey cool kids, the left is totally fine with ripping on those from the southern & interior farm states. No big deal. It's not like these rednecks have grown any of the food you eat...or built any of the cars or machinery that make your lives easier. Nope, have at 'em, right?

News flash, wilful --- that snot-nosed attitude, using words like goober --- well, a lot of us who really didn't like either side, voted right because that attitude is so flippin pervasive on the left. Stay cocky, my friend....it's one of the reasons Trump won the first go-round. Thank you!

Old 12-09-2018, 08:12 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,298,736 times
Charlie Cook of Cook Political Report:

Quote:
”Maybe Trump can squeeze out another Electoral College majority while losing the national popular vote, but the popular-vote advantage of 9.4 million that Democrats had in House races this year dwarfs the 2.9-million edge that Clinton had in 2016. Democrats may find a way to blow this upcoming election, but it would take considerable effort to do so.”

https://www.cookpolitical.com/index....-us-about-2020

Old 12-09-2018, 09:29 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Charlie Cook of Cook Political Report:

Oh yes because California decides the entire presidential election for us

Old 12-09-2018, 09:30 AM

Based on Dems likely candidates and policies, Trump will likely win in a larger margin in 2020

Old 12-09-2018, 09:40 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,171,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Imagine the kind of numbers Trump will get in 2020 when his name is on the ballot!
Trump will get about 10 million less votes in 2020 than he got in 2016. A significant chunk of his 65 million votes were from moderate voters who didn't care for Clinton and wanted to roll the dice and take a chance with Trump. Many of these voters are disappointed. Trump's popularity has declined sharply in the states that he needed to win (Penn., Mich. and Wisc.).

Old 12-09-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Trump will get about 10 million less votes in 2020 than he got in 2016. A significant chunk of his 65 million votes were from moderate voters who didn't care for Clinton and wanted to roll the dice and take a chance with Trump. Many of these voters are disappointed. Trump's popularity has declined sharply in the states that he needed to win (Penn., Mich. and Wisc.).

Depends on the Dem candidate

There is going to be a ling and bloody primary on the Dem side

And What will the they be able to say about Trump that hasn’t already been said? Bring out the access Hollywood tape again?

Old 12-09-2018, 11:14 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,332,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Trump will be in an orange Jumpsuit impeached, Pence will be lame duck, and Dems will hold a firm grip on house a few seats away from holding the senate. We will see a liberal democrat elected for president my guess it could be Tom Steyer the billionaire from California. GOP took a lashing in this mid-term election and the entire debacle is Trump's fault and the spineless GOP congress who wouldn't stand up to his crazy behavior.

The Democrats will win in a landslide if Russia doesn't assists in the elections again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections