Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:30 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,811,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
The same could be said about the state of NC where I live. Depends on where you go but there are A LOT of backwards country folks here but I didn't hear anyone calling NC a redneck state when Obama won it. It just seems that is an excuse Obama supporters use for any state that doesn't go to him.

I don't live in NC and i hate to be the one that tells you this. One major characteristic of redneck state[s] is economical devastation . You must be living a fantasy if you think NC is as economically devastated as WV and KY. While there might be a lot of backwards country folks in NC, one reason why the Clintons were campaigning in the back of pick up trucks, the state demographics are as diverse as those in VA or MD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 01:41 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,186,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
You can't compare the redneckness of WV to that of VA. As a matter of fact rednecks in VA reside along I-81, and Clinton got a whole lot of support there. While it might be true that rednecks are everywhere, WV and KY harbors a great number of them. Btw, both states are located on the West side of Interstate 81
A lovely highway, yass, yass. Full of twists and turns. Like driving a corkscrew.... Reminds me of my late stint in the wilds of Afghanistan...lost our corkscrew, had to survive on food and water for several days....

Getting Past Election Anger-wcfields.jpg

Old 05-20-2008, 01:48 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,872,873 times
Quote:
I don't live in NC and i hate to be the one that tells you this. One major characteristic of redneck state[s] is economical devastation . You must be living a fantasy if you think NC is as economically devastated as WV and KY. While there might be a lot of backwards country folks in NC, one reason why the Clintons were campaigning in the back of pick up trucks, the state demographics are as diverse as those in VA or MD.
Hate to tell you this but the definition and usage of redneck is not related economical devestation. It's a stereotype used to describe uneducated, backward people in small towns. And guess what? There are lots of small towns in NC with working class people who are poor. The whole state is not Charlotte, Raleigh, and college towns that continue to prosper.

red·neck Audio Help/ˈrɛdˌnɛk/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[red-nek]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA PronunciationInformal: Often Disparaging.
–noun 1.an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South. 2.a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class. –adjective 3.Also, red-necked. narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary: a redneck attitude.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:56 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,811,178 times
Quote:
Hate to tell you this but the definition and usage of redneck is not related economical devestation. It's a stereotype used to describe uneducated, backward people in small towns. And guess what? There are lots of small towns in NC with working class people who are poor. The whole state is not Charlotte, Raleigh, and college towns that continue to prosper.

red·neck Audio Help/ˈrɛdˌnɛk/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[red-nek]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA PronunciationInformal: Often Disparaging.
–noun 1.an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South. 2.a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class. –adjective 3.Also, red-necked. narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary: a redneck attitude.
I'm not trying to define what a redneck is - just giving you a linkage between a redneck state and economical conditions. Rednecks are all over the nation one way or another, however, there's plenty of them in WY, KY so as to speak. And those two states' ecomony [combined] is probably nowhere close to that of NC or VA, for instance. That is my point.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:31 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,862,079 times
Well, I don't see everyone kissing and making up any time soon. She is in it until the convention and that is going to be a blood bath. What fun for conservatives!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:16 PM

102 posts, read 54,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
No, YOU AND YOUR ILK get over the fact that we can't stand Obama and it has nothing to do with skin color! This forum is FULL of insults from your side over this. The fact that y'all can't even win gracefully is unbelievable.

Do you think we care if you cant' stand Obama? You're in the minority. Why should we care?

Old 05-20-2008, 04:28 PM

5 posts, read 12,271 times
I totally agree with you - so much anger, resentment and emotion. I am for Obama but planned on voting for Hillary if she won. Their policies and ideas are not drastically different. McCain's certainly are: from health care, to Iraq, to a woman's right to choose. I certainly wouldn't compromise all that just because of ill feelings, or because I just wanted to block someone, or for other "issues."

Old 05-20-2008, 04:46 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times
Quote:
Rednecks are all over the nation one way or another, however, there's plenty of them in WY, KY so as to speak.
And the last democrat to win the WH carried both. If Gore would have won WV, he would have won. He couldn't even win his own state.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:50 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,650,451 times
Quote:
The same could be said about the state of NC where I live. Depends on where you go but there are A LOT of backwards country folks here but I didn't hear anyone calling NC a redneck state when Obama won it. It just seems that is an excuse Obama supporters use for any state that doesn't go to him.
Wrong, there are a lot of country people here. And the only thing really country about us is our accent. The days of the backwoods inbred farmers are far in the past. I myself graduated from high school as one of the top 5% of all high school students in the country. True, there are still farmers all around, but if you stop and talk to some of them, you will see that they are not the stupid, impressionable people you think they are. They want the same things that any other citizen in the country wants. Freedom, justice, and the continuation of our sovereign rights. The point is red-necks we are not.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,784,250 times
Quote:
There are people who can't stand New England Patriots or the Colts because winning is all they do. There are also people like you who can't stand Obama b/c he has been winning
That is right! And they are upset because remember Hillary was the "automatic" nominee. It was hers for the asking and Super Tuesday it would all end with her cornation as Queen of the Democrats. Well it did not turn out that way and now SOME (not most or even many) of her supporters are mad. It is like "how dare that little bastard take this from her!". Like we OWE the Clintons the White House or something. They need to get the frick over it. And if they want to vote for McCain or stay home and brood on Election Day, so be it. I am damn tired of hearing them ***** and moan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections