Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:46 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,586,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
He already had executive branch experience from being governor. I would think serving as a governor provides much more experience relative to being President than as a state senator.
JFK was only a senator too you know and he turned out to be one of America's most imspiring presidents. He was young and im sure people had their doubts about him too when he was running for president. He didnt govern anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 09:48 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,265,105 times
Quote:
He already had executive branch experience from being governor. I would think serving as a governor provides much more experience relative to being President than as a state senator.
well, evidently Obama can at least run a successful campaign. very successful in fact. hillary clinton's campaign, for example, has been a dysfunctional mess. this election was hers to lose - and that's what she did. in fact, she was led into making a lot of bad decisions. she is now 20 million dollars in debt - something that she misled the voters about.

here's the thing. America wants a real change. Washington experience is not what people are looking for. it certainly isnt what i'm looking for. i would sooner fly to a third world country, throw a bag over some Filipino, take the bag off his head when he arrives in the White House and tell him "youre running this now." and i really do think it would run alot smoother than it has for the last decade.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:52 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,586,607 times
I agree. People are looking more at "life experience" in helping everyday ordinary Americans. Obama has had over 10 years of governement experience but he has had a great deal more of life experience which qaulifies him as being commander in chief. Hes actually sweated for people.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:41 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,974,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
JFK was only a senator too you know and he turned out to be one of America's most imspiring presidents. He was young and im sure people had their doubts about him too when he was running for president. He didnt govern anything.

JFK was a two-term US Senator, he was also a WWII veteran. Obama has not even completed one term in the Senate.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:45 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,811,178 times
Quote:
JFK was a two-term US Senator, he was also a WWII veteran. Obama has not even completed one term in the Senate.
So what is your point.....being in the senate for 12 years or over 30 years [McCain] automatically gives you the experience to be a president? What constitute experience for the highest office?

Old 05-21-2008, 10:48 AM

Also, name any meaningful legislation from Obama since he's been a U.S. Senator?

<<crickets chirping>>

Old 05-21-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Also, name any meaningful legislation from Obama since he's been a U.S. Senator?

<<crickets chirping>>
I believe you haven't answered my question.....

Old 05-21-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
What constitute experience for the highest office?
I would think some time in a national office beyond one term. Or and executive branch office (governor). A high level cabinet position. Foreign policy experience. Some combination of the above. As much as I do not like Obama, I would think he might be a logical choice for vice-president. But to jump to president with his lack of experience is puzzling to me.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,265,105 times
Quote:
I would think some time in a national office beyond one term. Or and executive branch office (governor). A high level cabinet position. Foreign policy experience. Some combination of the above. As much as I do not like Obama, I would think he might be a logical choice for vice-president. But to jump to president with his lack of experience is puzzling to me.
if he's not ready to be president, then why would he be a logical vice president. i'm not assuming that you support hillary clinton for president, but do you consider her experienced enough to be president? if so, on what grounds? how many terms as a senator does she have under her belt? not that experience matters to me. also, John McCains years of experience dont seem to enlighten him to the fact that this country is fundementally headed in the wrong direction - towards becoming a third world country to be specific.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Hahaha....so being a senator for 20+ years makes you fit to be become a president. Last time i checked, senators collectively make their decision with votes. How does that benefit someone just b/c they have been in the senate for over 20 years. I would take governorship or high level cabinet position over 40 years of senate experience. And McCain's experience is nothing other than extended vacations spent on the senate floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections