Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:31 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,647,185 times

Advertisements

As NCN pointed out mountain people tend to be very independent thinkers (which is why I thought it funny when she then claimed to speak for all mountain people herself. Sorry NCN, it doesn't work both ways... and you don't speak for me.)

I would never try to speak for all mountain people. That would be dumb. As I said they are independent thinkers. The numbers spoke for them. I was just reflecting what the statistics said. I was surprised and disappointed that NC went so much for Obama, but on the map last night I saw that Western NC did not go for Obama. I am just proud of my neighbors and their not following after the crowd. That is how Obama works. He convinces people to vote for him because that is "the thing to do." Mountian people don't give a flip about what the "the thing to do is." They think for themselves. Wish the rest of America would do that too. I will have to say that religion does matter to me.

The really interesting thing to me on these posts is that people don't vote for Obama because of race although more than 90% of the black democrats in NC voted for Obama. But if someone voted for another candidate, race has to be the reason. An intelligent person should realize that some of the voters may just think Clinton would make a better president.

I am a Republican. I didn't vote for either.

Last edited by NCN; 05-21-2008 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:02 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,585,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Your boy Obama
You just called Obama a BOY!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The really interesting thing to me on these posts is that people don't vote for Obama because of race although more than 90% of the black democrats in NC voted for Obama. But if someone voted for another candidate, race has to be the reason. An intelligent person should realize that some of the voters may just think Clinton would make a better president.

I am a Republican. I didn't vote for either.
The difference is that people in West Virgina voted for Hillary because the dont want to see a black man as president. Many blacks support Obama because they want to see the first black president. There is a difference.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:06 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
They certainly don't count to me. They are mostly hillbilly bigots and closet (or open) racist and they will NEVER EVER EVER vote for Obama or ANY black for ANY office. Let them wallow in their misery and cling to their guns and Bibles and look elsewhere to win. Kentucky and W Va ain't happening. They had a chance to lay aside their bigotry and say to the world "hey look we have overcome our hatred and contempt for black people" but of course they failed to do it as I knew they would. They hate Obama and the hate blacks but they love Republicans even as Republicans crush their wages, do away with mine safety, bring in illegal immigrants to do their work. And these people are actually stupid enough to think Republicans care about their values. Obama will waste time in a futile effort to try and win these people when he could be in states like Missouri where people actually will listen to him.
Kind of bitter aren't you;clinging to your racial views also it seems.People have right to vote for who they want;if 90% of blacks want to vote for Obama that;'s fine with me althought it shows a racial preference.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Kind of bitter aren't you;clinging to your racial views also it seems.People have right to vote for who they want;if 90% of blacks want to vote for Obama that;'s fine with me althought it shows a racial preference.
You cant deny that we are facing a historical moment here. We are talking about the first African-American U.S. president when 40 years ago African-Americans were facing segragation, water hoses, nooses and more. The same nation that used African-Americans is slaves. This is a history making moment so I know you can understand why people want to see Obama president. Its symbolic of this nation, as a whole getting beyond race. Not only is he African-American he is qualified for the job as president. They key is the fact that he is a qaulified African-American candidate. Notice black people didnt rally behind Al Sharpton in 2004. I do think after we are all dead and gone, Obama's face will be on U.S. currency.

Last edited by gsoboi; 05-21-2008 at 09:37 AM..

Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,973,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
You cant deny that we are facing a historical moment here. We are talking about the first African-American U.S. president when 40 years ago African-Americans were facing segragation. The same nation that used African-Americans is slaves. This is a history making moment so I know you can understand why people want to see Obama president. Not only is he African-American he is qualified for the job as president.
So you would want to elect an African-American president just because he is black? I have no problems electing a black president, or a Latino, an Asian, etc etc. But not Obama.

You say he is qualified? What makes you say he is qualified? Sure, he is a good speaker, makes good motivational speeches, etc etc. But I see nothing on the guy's resume that would qualify him to be President. Maybe after a couple of more terms in the Senate, or maybe a cabinet position, or even as Vice-President...then maybe he'd be qualified. As of now, he's only a couple of years removed from being a state senator. I know I don't know of many state senators here who will be in contention for the White House anytime soon, probably never.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:33 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,264,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
What anger? Since my top choice likely isn't going to be nominated, I have moved on to my next choice. Simple. The fact that my next choice isn't Obama seems to uncannily raise the blood pressure of the "winners," though, and they feel that insults are appropriate. WHAT GIVES WITH THAT?!
okay. that's it! teatime, you are so full of it. you know it, i know it, and everybody else knows it. why dont we all stop living this lie, and be real for once. Obama and hillary are pretty similar (and far from John McCain) on the big issues. there is no way that, in any logical sense, you can be for hillary - and then choose John McCain over Obama. that does not reflect reality, and we all know it. and let me tell you this: you do not "support" hillary clinton. you are obsessed with hillary clinton.

the reality is one of three things:

1. you are obsessed with hillary clinton becoming president of the United States because she is a woman and you are a feminist.

2. you are obsessed with denying Barrack Obama of the presidency because he is black and you are a racist.

3. you are obsessed with denying Obama the presidency because you are so upset by the fact that given a choice, the American people prefer him over your prefered candidate, hillary clinton - who he defeated fairly in the race for the Democratic nomination.

now before you go on a rant about how "i dont know you" and "i cant read your mind" just understand that everybody can read your mind by what you post - and this goes out to others, not just you. if your preference is clinton, McCain, suicide, Obama, then youre preference is not based on the issues of the day. it is one of the threee things i listed. cut and dried.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
So you would want to elect an African-American president just because he is black? I have no problems electing a black president, or a Latino, an Asian, etc etc. But not Obama.

You say he is qualified? What makes you say he is qualified? Sure, he is a good speaker, makes good motivational speeches, etc etc. But I see nothing on the guy's resume that would qualify him to be President. Maybe after a couple of more terms in the Senate, or maybe a cabinet position, or even as Vice-President...then maybe he'd be qualified. As of now, he's aonly a couple of years remmoved from being a state senator.
dont forget back in 1992 Bill Clinton had lack of experience too, especially in foreign affairs. of course the Bill Clinton of 1992 is not the same Bill Clinton in 2008. Hes been seasoned and poisioned by Washington politics. I dont think anyone is voting for Obama solely because hes black. If that were the case Al Sharpton would have been the democratic nominee in 2004 and Jesse Jackson would have been the nominee in 1984.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:36 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,973,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
dont forget back in 1992 Bill Clinton had lack of experience too, especially in foreign affairs. of course the Bill Clinton of 1992 is not the same Bill Clinton in 2008. Hes been seasoned and poisioned by Washington politics.
He already had executive branch experience from being governor. I would think serving as a governor provides much more experience relative to being President than as a state senator.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:38 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,963,025 times
Good reply NCN, I may not agree with you but I enjoy your posts. And I especially like your colored fonts. Very cheerful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections