Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 09:53 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,729,889 times

Advertisements

Here is how I kind of see it. The party out of power generally picks up seats in midterm elections...but their are exceptions like the 2002 midterms where the GOP picked up seats as the country was still in a state of shock over 9/11....so there are things that can change the equation. Midterms are generally a referendum on the party in power...so with Biden's low poll numbers, anxiety over inflation and doubts about the economy...in any other cycle this should be a red wave election...and it maybe. Here is the GOP's biggest threat. Whether you agree with their rulings or not the Supreme Court is extremely unpopular right now...And...they have the appearance of being the strongest Govt entity that is in power with their recent rulings. So what I see right now are three hurricane force winds coming from different directions and the wind gauge spinning in circles. Pro-Life voters have always been highly dependable and turn out, and they will definitely turn out again this cycle. Pro-Choice voters on the other hand are low propensity voters in off year elections.....No one ever thought they would actually see Roe / Dobbs overturned. Now you have the distinct possibility of a large segment of the voting population that will make the midterms a referendum on the Supreme Court. To what degree this happens and the increased turnout by traditional low propensity voters is something we don't quite have a handle on. Inflation and the economy will be powerful drivers of this cycle...but with the myriad of unprecedented variables at play...the possibility of this being a "wave" election is greatly diminished. And it is going to be in the State Governors and Legislatures where the real battlefield is going to be. I think the GOP will take the House but the Dems will keep the Senate and make gains in state legislators. You don't overturn the most defining characteristic of the culture war in the last 50 years and not expect it to have an impact on the body politic. There is one poll that is worth watching in all of this and that will be in Novemeber.

Last edited by JohnBoy64; 07-26-2022 at 10:21 AM..

Old 07-26-2022, 10:23 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,371,581 times
With all of the ridiculous things Biden & the Dems have done to destroy this country I don't see how any sane person would want any of them in office.

Every single day people are paying exorbitant prices for everything. Inflation is out of control. Criminals have taken over with free reign to do whatever they want without consequence. Two million illegals have invaded the country bringing with them fentanyl & death.

All of these things are far more important to the voters than abortion and are the reasons the Democrats will get booted out. They can continue on with their Jan 6th clown show, but nobody cares. People see it for what it is -- a diversion from the disaster the Democrats have created.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:34 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,729,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
With all of the ridiculous things Biden & the Dems have done to destroy this country I don't see how any sane person would want any of them in office.

Every single day people are paying exorbitant prices for everything. Inflation is out of control. Criminals have taken over with free reign to do whatever they want without consequence. Two million illegals have invaded the country bringing with them fentanyl & death.

All of these things are far more important to the voters than abortion and are the reasons the Democrats will get booted out. They can continue on with their Jan 6th clown show, but nobody cares. People see it for what it is -- a diversion from the disaster the Democrats have created.
You'd be right if the entire country were Trump supporters...but they ain't.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:43 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
In normal times, an inept, weak President like Biden would lead to massive midterm gains. But with the election deniers, Jan 6 defenders, and never mind abortion, votes against contraception, the GOP risks seriously underperforming the circumstances.

The Maryland Governor's race is the 1st casualty, but won't be the last. Somewhere, somehow GOP strategists need to cool the crazy that could derail what should be a huge midterm win for them.
Republican strategists lost control over the plot about ten years ago. Very few top level Republicans actually support Trump or Trumpism or any of the less palatable elements of the "conservative" movement, but they are powerless to the rage machine and conspiracy theorists emboldened by Trump.

I recommend reading Why We Did It by Tim Miller.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:47 AM

18,024 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
In normal times, an inept, weak President like Biden would lead to massive midterm gains. But with the election deniers, Jan 6 defenders, and never mind abortion, votes against contraception, the GOP risks seriously underperforming the circumstances.

The Maryland Governor's race is the 1st casualty, but won't be the last. Somewhere, somehow GOP strategists need to cool the crazy that could derail what should be a huge midterm win for them.
Nobody is banning contraception. Folks need to calm down and think about what the media always does. Besides, I'm positive the biden administration has more torture in store for us all. His whole wing will take the fall.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:12 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,911,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concreteblonde View Post
Jan. 6 will be hard to explain away.
Nothing burgers are not difficult to explain away. Actually, no one will even remember it.

Old 07-26-2022, 11:18 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,911,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Don't think about it then. I just told you, I'm the most left wing liberal there is and I'd vote for either of them.
Never take advice for one so completely out of touch with reality that they would recommend Cheney and Kinzinger . You my friend, are a comedian of the highest order..

Old 07-26-2022, 11:48 AM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Yes, Democrats believe men can have babies, that we should have open borders, that we should defund the police and not criminalize theft unless it's more than $1000, and that high gas prices are "good."

But the republicans are the crazy ones. Gotcha.
Exactly!

Old 07-26-2022, 11:59 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,371,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
You'd be right if the entire country were Trump supporters...but they ain't.
You don't have to be a Trump supporter (I'm not) to see that this administration has the brain power of a gnat.

People pay for the left's incompetence every single day and in every way imaginable.

Old 07-26-2022, 12:04 PM

13,461 posts, read 4,295,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Republican strategists lost control over the plot about ten years ago. Very few top level Republicans actually support Trump or Trumpism or any of the less palatable elements of the "conservative" movement, but they are powerless to the rage machine and conspiracy theorists emboldened by Trump.

I recommend reading Why We Did It by Tim Miller.

Tim Miller, a Jeb Bush consultant and his communication director of his 2016 run? LMAO! Thanks for the laugh. I wouldn't read that garbage if they were giving it for free at Costco. He is a Never-Trumpster. He went to an all private Catholic school and later came out of the closet and lives in very liberal Oakland. I guess he likes very liberal Oakland. Spreading that conservatism. He writes for Rolling Stone and that's as much left wing garbage you can get.

He is a Neo-War monger that supports the Bush and McCain war doctrine but he calls others rage machine? I don't see Trump supporters calling for wars and to bomb poor countries back to the stone ages.

The base got tired of the endless wars, nation building, globalism, open borders and selling out to China. That's why Trump has the base because he is the few that not only tells the truth but fights.

Rage machine and conspiracy theorists? LMAO!!! From the A-holes that pushed the mess in the Middle East and that We have to spread "democracy" around the world. "We are here to spread Democracy, take these bombs with love" These neo cons are nuts and arrogant with their books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections